Creation kit - black screen in render window (started today)

Thumbincubation

Hi all,

I've been using the CK daily, since release, and haven't had many issues, but today I can't see a thing in the render window. It's completely black, whether I try to load an exterior or interior cell, in a mod or starting fresh with just Skyrim and Update as masters.  F5 and toggling lights do nothing, though f5 still shows me the green progress bar for a minute or two.  

The only thing that has changed is that I opted into the beta Skyrim  SE update, via steam.  Could that have changed CK somehow?  Has anyone else had this trouble?

I've also gone to the launcher and reinstalled CK, with no change.

Heh. I see more people are now falling victim to the Steam beta. :P

Topic originally came up here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1611206-render-window-completely-black/

I verified it. Posted my findings here: https://beta-community.bethesda.net/topic/3842/ck-render-window-turns-black

Basically you need to revert the beta, copy the Skyrim - Shaders.bsa file from the regular release somewhere, then reapply the beta. Once done, stick the old shader file on top of the beta. Keep in mind I have no idea what consequences that could have for the game, but the CK render window will be fixed.

• Like 1

Ok. So. Don't do this. The CK will be fixed but you'll break the game. You'll just have to revert the game back to release state to get both working properly.

• Like 1

Hey Arthmoor and Plumber, I really appreciate the info.  I just finished reinstalling both the game, sans beta patch, and the ck.  I can see in the render window again.  I was a bit afraid of borking my game, hence the reinstall.

Just cleaned my masters, reinstalled wrye bash, and found my patch still works.  :)   

Bethesda was kind enough to respond to my help request with "though we provide creation kit, we do not support it," and a 'solved' status at the bottom.   -_-

I spread the word on nexus, on the few threads I'd been involved in, to avoid the beta patch for now.  TY again, all.

Bethesda was kind enough to respond to my help request with "though we provide creation kit, we do not support it," and a 'solved' status at the bottom.   -_-

Sounds odd. But they still intend to update it?

Ah! consumerism. :) :)

A man walks into a bar for a beer. Certainly sir, but we are unavailable to provide any end-user support for either the practice & methodology of usage, or after-effects of its consumption.

• Like 1

Sounds odd. But they still intend to update it?

Ah! consumerism. :) :)

A man walks into a bar for a beer. Certainly sir, but we are unavailable to provide any end-user support for either the practice & methodology of usage, or after-effects of its consumption.

"We'll give you the beer, but we're not responsible if you get drunk to the point of sickness" sounds like it would be reasonable enough, had they not served poisoned beer.

The update was via steam, for the game itself.  The ck, to my knowledge, didn't change during that update.

Is this for the Skyrim CK ? Or the Skyrim SE ? Why you updated from steam?

It was the 1.1.51 beta update, via steam. 

So today, I got a survey asking for feedback from my customer service experience...you know, the one where they broke the ck and then told me to bugger off and ask the modding community to help fix it.  This just gets better and better.

Is anyone else having this problem again?  Despite that I opted out, and the settings still indicate opt out, of the beta patch, Skyrim auto-updated when I logged in today, and of course the render screen in CK is black again. FFS Bethesda!

The beta went live. There should also be a CK update waiting in your Bethesda.net launcher and they seemingly fixed the issue here without ever bothering to say anything.

Well I just got also this black screen issue, but I havenot updated anything, neither i steam neither in bethnet launcher ... Is this the same issue?

Did you get it squared away?  I ended up having to force CK to update, as it didn't update with launcher for some reason.  Worked again, after that.