MISSING IN ACTION/Trespassing bug

grimmwhiskey

UPDATE: BUG STILL IN AFFECT. STILL REGISTERS ME AS TRESPASSING WHEN I ENTER TO TALK ABOUT LOCATING THORALD

I'm suppose to meet the old lady at the house of gray-mane, and talk to her about thorald, but it registers me as trespassing, making it impossible to do the quest.

*NOTE: Bug is from Xbox one, and this only happened when i had the mod enabled.

Did you try doing this during the daytime? The home is locked at night and it is considered trespassing during that time.

Which is a bad idea. Disabling mods and continuing on with a playthrough is the worst thing you could possibly do. That save is history now.

In the past on the PC (with USKP et al installed), I ran into an issue where I did not immediately follow Fralia to the Grey-Mane house to talk to her and Avulstein about Thorald.  Instead, I finally tried to do so days (weeks?) later, and ran into the trespassing "glitch" (this during the day; I do believe the door may have been locked for me as well but this was some time ago, I could be misremembering).  It annoyed me to the point where I found and reloaded a save prior to "the argument".

From that point on, I make it a point to follow Fralia and enter the house right after her, no putting it off.  I usually get the necessary evidence and return to Avulstein promptly.

Perhaps something is being (re)set after a certain passage of time that causes this to occur.

I'm a constant restarter/reroller, so when I alter my mod loadout, I almost always restart from zero.  With the SE causing me to look at some mods I never tinkered with before, needless to say, my Skyrim SE characters have had some short runs.

After an abortive attempt to play SE mod-free, USSEP has of course emerged as the constant "always-in".

Which is a bad idea. Disabling mods and continuing on with a playthrough is the worst thing you could possibly do. That save is history now.

A little off topic: This isn't always the case though? I know there are mods in vanilla Skyrim that use SKSE/MCM to uninstall script-heavy mods without causing trouble, but afaik those are only mods that don't affect vanilla scripts.

Mods without scripts usually are fine to uninstall too right? Meshes and textures should almost always be fine to uninstall too.

No. It's always the case. Those mods with uninstallers are all placebo in nature. The problem doesn't go away because someone ran a script to stop quests.

Mesh & Texture replacers are ok to remove. Let's not get into the weeds, everyone knows what's being talked about here.

You obviously have no way of knowing that. Considering we've had 5 years to chart this kind of behavior I think it would be wise to listen when mod authors tell you your save won't survive having mods yanked out of it.

If it was corrupted, would i not be be able to load it? How do you disable a mod properly? I'm still relatively new to using mods.

Also, what consequences/effects could this do on my save? Do i need to start over?

Generally speaking, yes, you need to start a new save in the event you want to remove a mod. The game will not clean up the missing data properly and you could end up with a lot of really subtle problems related to it. Straight up corruption from that is rare, but it can happen.

I'll probably have to start over anyway, due to the NPC(s) I'm missing. Sadly, that means i have to wait till Bethesda fixes this.

Just pretend you're playing Skyrim in a perverse ironman mode, restart with a new character, and see how long you can go before every quest marker is well off the map.  :P

Maybe experiment with builds or roleplaying concepts you wouldn't normally bother with, or explore in a completely different direction.  Tinker with mods that you might be on the fence about.

You can find stuff to do while waiting on Bethesda (and whatever certification process the patch has to go through with Microsoft).

Again, this is coming from someone who takes a "restart early, restart often" approach to the game at times.   :innocent:   I'm trying to commit to a character, honest!