Very disappointed with SSE so far :(

maboleth

Today I have tried the game for the first time. I have loaded my old save(s) to test the game. Testing on the latest BETA that was supposed to improve the performance.

1. I lose up to 25 fps in the wild, from steady 60-65 in Skyrim to 35-45 in SSE. Even with antialiasing turned off - fps stays the same. Only inside the keeps i go back 55-60fps. This is unacceptable.

2. Underwater environment and my character look horrible. At least on a cloudy weather.

ScreenShot12.jpg

Some weird greenish shadow cast in the waves of Solstheim:
sse1.jpg

Overall the graphics is less crisp, more smeared, much more clunky and less responsive. Feels like some bad graphics mod was loaded, certainly NOT as an official release. Huge let down so far. My only hope is that Bethesda will fix the performance and large fps drop.

The goodies of SSE are borderless window mode, fast starting and updated visuals and options for menus.

I have seen comments from people that said they had performance issues with borderless window mode that went away in full screen. I have 60fps everywhere in full screen on my 3 year old rig. Also my underwater is completely clear but I think that means I need the new NVIDIA driver.

I have seen comments from people that said they had performance issues with borderless window mode that went away in full screen. I have 60fps everywhere in full screen on my 3 year old rig. Also my underwater is completely clear but I think that means I need the new NVIDIA driver.

I'm a big fan of borderless window mode in ESO, as I like to multi-task when needed. However, I tested SSE in fullscreen mode and same thing happens - fps is low. Maybe it's slightly better, like +3-4fps, but again I'm in ~40 fps zone.

I'm using max settings (ultra mode) on both Skyrim games. I've already sent my save files & dxdiag to Bethesda, as requested, so I'm hoping for the best.

What's your graphics card? for me SSE is also considerably slower than LE. But then again, God Rays, screen space reflections, ambient occlusion, temporal AA, smooth shadows, better distance shader, snow shader...

what did you expect? that they also optimized them for performance?

On medium settings i now get roughly the same fps in either Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE, which is less than half as fast as my manually (mostly shadows, draw distance and AA reduced) optimized Skyrim.

The trouble is, I have a constant ~35-45fps (sometimes falls even lower, like 25-27!), without god rays, water reflections, without snow, without even AA (turned off for testing). My card is Asus OC GTX950 2gb ddr5. It runs 60-50fps ESO on max settings without problems. I'm almost sure this is not due to the card, but of bugs/optimization problems.

Unlike ESO or original Skyrim, SSE feels sluggish, huge ups and downs of FPS, never reaching stable movement, let alone 60fps.

Or you are running into a CPU limit? Does changing the resolution have an effect?

My GTX 765 is about the same strength, and i get similar FPS, maybe a bit less. But that is with medium godrays, shadows, reflections ambient occlusion and TAA. about as fast as F4 with similar settings but without ambient occlusion and AA.

It could be that the old F4 bug is back, where turning off godrays doesn't actually work?

I'm also playing at a moderately low resolution, to match my old tv's native resolution. That could be why its so smooth. People trying to run in modern resolutions seem to be having issues, but it's not universal. It looks fine to me at 1360x768.

I7-6700 CPU with 16gb ram here, hardly a limit for Skyrim SE I think. I didn't test other resolutions... I never play less than my monitor's native. We'll wait and see. Bethesda rep. said beta just rolled out, asked everyone to try and report back, so there's lots of things to fix.

The new beta may be to blame for that. There's a definite drop in fps with it. So much so even I noticed it and I usually don't.

Overall drop in Performance with the new beta patch?

That would be really unpleasent... I just settled in with the thought, that I can finally play this game with 60FPS everywhere, after even Cities did not dip with JKs mod thrown into at ultra....

I really hope they fix it... but Bethesda tends to really have a talent in creating bugs and problems where there were non.

If their official patch drops performance that's going to turn a lot of people off. You'd think Bethesda would fix that before they let it go live but knowing them you can't count on it.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing no change with my gtx 760ti 2gb, i7-4770 3.4 ghz, 16mb. 60 fps at the moderate settings I was using, 60 at the slightly higher settings GeForce Experience set me at (it put me at 1920x1080 and turned on 64-bit rendering but off AO, and I turned off godrays because I hate them. And lens flares. God, I hate lens flares. Stop putting camera effects in games where you play a character who is PHYSICALLY IN THE ENVIRONMENT).

I then set it to Ultra. And it was exactly the same as when I had done that when I first started it last weekend.  60 fps mostly, but with fairly frequent small dips, depending on what I was looking at. 5 fps or less (in relatively unpopulated area. Probably worse in a big city, I can't really play on Ultra). That's still at my native resolution of 1360x768. When I put it back up to 1920x1080, I couldn't get a steady framerate, it was wavering all over between 40 and 58, only hit 60 now and then for a second. 

Updating the Nvidia driver did fix the clear underwater, but it looks perfectly normal now, slightly clearer than old Skyrim. Nothing like Maboleth's top picture. I think they actually had a second update, there were two 375's, the most recent 375.70.

If you have vsync on and cap out your monitor's refresh rate, why would you expect a change to begin with? If you had unlocked the framerate for you test, i'm sure you would have seen that the options do lower you fps, but they'd all be above 60.

I'm playing with vsync on. So that's not it. I have a very definite drop in performance that can't really be denied, but obviously that's difficult to show Bethesda directly :P

Duh... I just cannot play it, regardless of the frame rate. This game looks unfinished for my eyes and on my PC. So many glitches, surroundings that go from sharp to soft, forced DOF etc. It's clearly visible that under the hood it's the same old Skyrim with new gimmicks that were implemented on top of the old engine. Playing the original Skyrim feels just that - a genuine experience. As of now, SSE looks modded, glitched with huge performance penalties. :(

P.s. Have you checked the Skaal village? In SSE the whirlpool cloud above the village is jagged as hell with a circle. Coming down from the mountain I can see each layer of weather there, like semi-transparent polygons with abrupt edges. And those waves that were introduced in Dragonborn DLC look fake as ever, totally different than the rest of the sea. I sent those screenshots & saves to Bethesda. Hopefully it will be fixed, but overall, SSE is still big disappointment.

As far as DOF, you know that has a slider, right? You can drag that all the way down and it'll cease being an issue at all.

I don't play above 60 fps so why would I worry about loss of framerate above it? People are complaining about loss of fps with the beta. I don't see it. Are you all playing with vsync off? Is that the in thing now?  Maybe I should just play my perfectly stable game and not worry about trying to confirm other people's complaints.

no. i just wanted to say, that you made it look like these settings don't have a performance impact, while in fact they do.

Of course they have an impact. I'm just saying the impact was not different for me between the base version and the beta. I saw no difference in frramerate at any combination of settings. However, after your previous post I realized I don't have a system that can really push the game so I wouldn't be able really to test it to look for problems. It didn't occur to me to turn vsync off and see if there was a difference in max framerate, simply because I would never play that way. But at my mid-res settings for normal play, I'd probably never notice any problems that higher end people might. So I probably shouldn't have posted in the first place, but oh well. 

Arthmoor, I have lowered DOF to about 1/6 of its normal value. It's a bit better, I might disable it entirely, but I'll wait until Beth releases a stable SkyrimSE.

All I know in ESO, that also has occlusion, sunrays, bloom, dof etc. with so much more detailed graphics and LODs (even though Skyrim still has the best atmosphere and mood though), with tons of NPCs and people running around, I have a steady FPS rate on max settings. In hugely populated towns FPS is 35-45, while everywhere else it's rock steady 58-60. Oh well, let's wait for Beth to polish the game.

Eh, I'm not sold on ESO graphics being that much better. They're definitely good, but I think even Classic Skyrim is better.

They do blow Gamebryo away on everything else though, even though I don't like the heavy DOF in ESO. I only ever have bad frame rates when 60 people show up to a dolmen and start spamming their spells :P

You can't deny the extreme level of detail and animation in ESO. :) Talking to NPCs with some real moving scenery zoomed in and defocused looks really great and realistic too. :) Also heavy DOF use for LODs is a smart move. That way we don't see some basic polygons in the horizon, like in Skyrim. :P Honestly, I expected SSE to sort that out. It's a bit bummer to go to the magnificent Solitude and see same ol' triangles in the sea again. :-/

But I agree - for me there's no better looking ES game for dark atmospherics than Skyrim. Like rain, fog, mist, snow, night/day etc. It's eerie, spooky and tense.