SkyrimSE CreationKit Crawling in render window and spamming log file

jostrus

So as my title describes. I'm having a problem with the SkyrimSE Creation Kit. I can load it up fine, open interior cells and do what I want fine. When I load an external cell my EditorWarnings.txt file starts growing insanely. I get a bunch of errors spammed repeatedly to the file like this:

MODELS: Failed to load Data\Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Tamriel.32.64.96.BTR, Request result is 1
MODELS: Failed to load Data\Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Tamriel.32.64.128.BTR, Request result is 1
MODELS: Failed to load Data\Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Tamriel.32.96.32.BTR, Request result is 1
MODELS: Failed to load Data\Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Tamriel.32.96.64.BTR, Request result is 1
MODELS: Failed to load Data\Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Tamriel.32.128.32.BTR, Request result is 1
MODELS: Failed to load Data\Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Tamriel.32.128.64.BTR, Request result is 1

At last check the file was over 50mb Screenshot. My understanding is the BTR files have to do with 3D map terrain. I'm not sure where to go about handling this.

Reproducing the issue:

• My system is fairly decent - Intel Core i7-4770k, 16GB ram, nVidia GTX980 and running on a 250gb SSD.
  • The CreationKit.ini is unmodified. I created a CreationKitCustom.ini with this:
    [General]
    bAllowMultipleEditors=1
    bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1
    [Messages]
    bBlockMessageBoxes=1

• Tested loading Skyrim.esm and Update.esm only. Tried with DLC files too with same result. Will move on to loading the DLC's if I can resolve the problem. Not using them for testing to get a reasonable load time for CK.
  • Tested both Classic Skyrim and Special Edition Skyrim Creation Kit's.
  • Classic works awesome with no issues at 120+fps.
  • SE CK has a crazy 10fps render rate in the same exterior cell. If I turn on navmesh editing it drops to 1fps.
  • Tested opening a specific cell Tamriel world cell (-7), (-14). I tried with a few others with the same results but decided to stick to a single one for troubleshooting.

I'm trying to find out if anyone else is having the same issue? If anyone knows of a solution? Maybe a .ini tweak?

What you're describing with crawling along in exteriors in the render window is what I'm hitting with Fallout 4. Nobody seems to know what the trouble is, but I can't edit outdoors to save my life.

The SE CK on the other hand is sailing along like a dream, even better than the old 32 bit CK. So I'm kind of at a loss to help.

What you're describing with crawling along in exteriors in the render window is what I'm hitting with Fallout 4. Nobody seems to know what the trouble is, but I can't edit outdoors to save my life.

The SE CK on the other hand is sailing along like a dream, even better than the old 32 bit CK. So I'm kind of at a loss to help.

I have the same problem with FO4 as well.

Are you using any special settings in the creationkit ini's other than what I specified?

Nope. I have default inis in both games. I use a custom ini that has only the following for SSE:

[General]
bAllowMultipleEditors=1
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

[MESSAGES]
bBlockMessageBoxes=1
iFileLogging=1

[Papyrus]
sScriptSourceFolder = ".\Data\Scripts\Source"

Check if you have any mod overriding those files. Also make sure that CK actually loads vanilla BSA archives where those files are located.

BTR files are terrain LOD files (nif meshes) for a worldspace.

Check if you have any mod overriding those files. Also make sure that CK actually loads vanilla BSA archives where those files are located.

BTR files are terrain LOD files (nif meshes) for a worldspace.

Thanks for the suggestions. Considering I'm testing this on an install with no mods installed yet nothing can be overwriting them. That said I double checked the CreationKit.ini and made sure it has

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
bUseArchives=0
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes0.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes1.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices_en0.bsa, Skyrim - Textures0.bsa, Skyrim - Textures1.bsa, Skyrim - Textures2.bsa, Skyrim - Textures3.bsa, Skyrim - Textures4.bsa, Skyrim - Textures5.bsa, Skyrim - Textures6.bsa, Skyrim - Textures7.bsa, Skyrim - Textures8.bsa, Skyrim - Patch.bsa

I found that the files it's trying to load don't even exist in the SkyrimSE or Skyrim bsa's. I'm at a loss as to why it's trying to load them with SkyrimSE and why Skyrim doesn't.

Edit: so I found the culprit for the log spam. CreationKitPrefs.ini bShowLODInEditor=1. Set bShowLODInEditor=0 and no more log spam. Though I gather that means not to use LOD at all in the CK which could be a performance thing. Oddly the framerate of the render window is up ~60 now.

• 11 months later...

Not really, no. It's still really horrible to work with in a dense area but some of the lighter cells seem to be ok now. I really wish I knew why it was such a huge drain since SSE's CK doesn't do this.

Probably not related, but I'll share my observations when updating my mod for both SLE and SSE.

Everytime I save my mod in SLE and load it into the CK for SSE I always get a bunch of messages or errors if you want.  Is that normal, and if it matters I only work with the exterior cells in the render window in the CK?

Yes, that pile of errors is normal. Just ignore them unless you're expecting the possibility of running into one.