[RELz] Point The Way

Arthmoor

point-the-way-logo.jpg

Ever travel the roads and wonder how it is people find their way? Have you noticed that the roads in many places simply don't have signs that tell you where you can go while traveling them? If you were a foreign visitor to Skyrim, you've got no hope of being able to travel the intricate road network without stopping to read your map every so often, even when you're at a major intersection. Worry no more! While you weren't looking, The Empire sent out its trusty civil engineers (surely Skyrim has some) and they set about marking the roads to better assist travelers in finding their way.

This mod's aim is fairly simple. Road signs have been placed at several major intersections that were either lacking signs, or didn't have enough signs to indicate the full extent of where you could travel on a road. In some cases, the smaller towns and villages aren't even mentioned - despite Bethesda having created signs for them! Others that were pointed the wrong way or had the wrong city being represented have been fixed as well.

Download Locations

AFK Mods
Bethesda.net - PC + XB1
Bethesda.net - PS4

Installation Requirements

Skyrim Special Edition 1.6.1130 or greater.
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch 4.3.0 or greater.

DO NOT extract the contents of the BSA file into your Data folder as loose files, or let your mod manager perform an equivalent function on the contents of the file. Doing so will cause things to load in the wrong order and break the game. Skyrim is intended to load a BSA alongside it's ESM/ESP file. Circumventing this causes issues which I will not provide support for. If you insist on going against this advice, you will receive no support for the problems you generate as a result of this.

Installation - Wrye Bash BAIN

Drop the archive into your Skyrim Special Edition Mods\Bash Installers folder, then install as usual.
Make sure the mod is active in the Wrye Bash mods tab.

Installation - Manual

Drop the Point The Way.esp, Point The Way.bsa, and Point The Way - Textures.bsa files into your Data folder.
Activate the mod using whatever management tool suits you.

Uninstalling

Remove the Point The Way.esp, Point The Way.bsa, and Point The Way - Textures.bsa files from your Data folder. No permanent changes are made by this mod.

Load Order

Load order should not matter terribly much as most of these are going to be away from anything important.

Compatibility

Works with any road sign mesh or texture replacers you're using. These are strictly vanilla road signs that have been placed, with the exception of the sign for Kynesgrove.

Shares injected records for full compatibility with Cutting Room Floor and my village mods.

Fully compatible with "Lanterns of Skyrim II" by WiZkiD and MannyGT. (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30817)

Credits

Hana - Road sign mesh and base texture for Kynesgrove.

Disclaimer

This mod is not made, guaranteed, or supported by Microsoft, Zenimax, Bethesda Game Studios, or any of their affiliates.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Arthmoor,

It's me again :P

And I have a problem with water. (Version 2.0)

Point The Way.esp \ Worldspace \ 0000003C <Tamriel> \ Block 1, -1 \ Sub-Block 4, -4 \ 0000BD1A

4QtFLGQl.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Arthmoor, noticed a slight incompatibility problem between Point The Way and Lanterns of Skyrim. I am going to contact the MA for that mod as well but thought you might be interested to see:

The%20Elder%20Scrolls%20V%20Skyrim%20Spe

The%20Elder%20Scrolls%20V%20Skyrim%20Spe

Just south of Dawnstar. Just close enough to be touching. Have not see anything like this with Lampposts of Skyrim, just Lanterns of Skyrim.

Arthmoor, found another location where the sign post and lamp post are very close. In this case the are RIGHT next to each but are not actually colliding so it almost appears they were meant to be so close together. If your interested, I'll post pics. Just let me know. South of Windhelm near the heated pools.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Arthmoor,

The Signs from Darkwater Crossing to Kynesgrove or Shor's Stone lack information pointing to either town. Seems like a good add considering the family connections to them and the quest that has you go back and forth to Shor's Stone. 

Consider also the road signs to Ivarstead from there could also point towards Helgen.

Thank you!

Version 2.0.2

Moved the signpost south of Steamcrag Camp over a bit to avoid a conflict with one of the lantern post mods.

• 7 months later...

Version 2.0.3

Moved a lightpost out of the way of one of the Manny's lightposts in Lanterns of Skyrim SE.

• 6 months later...

Version 2.0.4

The 2 sign sets near Dragon Bridge have been changed to injected records to share with Cutting Room Floor.

• 4 months later...

Version 2.0.5

Updated sign set form IDs to support my Oakwood village mod.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

That's correct based on the orientation your map is showing. The sign is pointing down the main road, which is where most traffic between Riverwood and Helgen would go. The other direction is a back road through the foothills.

On 12/16/2019 at 12:08 AM, Arthmoor said:

Version 2.0.6

Removed a wild edit from DragonMoundTundraMarsh03.

Just curious.  Would that affect my mod (I think I've a map marker placed there)?

Anyway, thanks for the update Arthmoor. :)

I don't see why it would since PTW will no longer have an edit in that cell and map markers are persistent refs anyway.

Version 2.0.7

Fixed something, but I can't remember what, and xEdit isn't being forthcoming about it with the delta patch feature.

• 4 months later...

I've been thoroughly enjoying this mod alongside "Roadsigns Fast Travel SE". I've encountered a small little visual issue that I'm wondering if it is possible to fix. The signpost southwest of Silverdrift Lair appears to be glitched and the pole is separate from the signposts. It's the only signpost I've come across with this issue so far. I'm just wondering is this the same for anyone else, and is it possible to fix it? I wouldn't know the first thing about how to edit this. I won't hold my breath for a solution, it's just a little distracting when I'm in the area is all.

489830_20220102185135_1.png

489830_20220102184856_1.png

489830_20220102184830_1.png

I'm just wondering is this the same for anyone else, and is it possible to fix it? 

Nope. It looks fine in my game.

.20220102045846-1

Thanks for the quick reply and confirmation. It seems it's the patch from 'Road Signs Fast Travel' that's causing it. When I don't have the patch installed it appears as normal. A shame, but nothing that can be fixed here.

Thanks for this great mod anyway Arhmoor!!

The patch author should be able to take care of that with an update. Looks like they moved the signpost is all, or didn't update it at some point when I moved it in the mod or something.

• 1 year later...

If you have time, could you move this sign, please. I am also using LOS2. Thank you!

Spoiler

[1B] Point The Way.esp (845DB252) \ Worldspace \ 0000003C <Tamriel> \ Block 1, -1 \ Sub-Block 4, -1 \ 0000BAC4 \ Temporary \ 01920005

Spoiler

The Elder Scrolls V  Skyrim Special Edition Screenshot 2023.06.03 - 22.13.11.86.png

Spoiler

The Elder Scrolls V  Skyrim Special Edition Screenshot 2023.05.31 - 01.15.45.95.png

Spoiler

The Elder Scrolls V  Skyrim Special Edition Screenshot 2023.05.31 - 01.15.52.17.png

Edited by AndreySG

• 6 months later...