[RELz] Open Cities Skyrim

Arthmoor

The document isn't just about detection. I'm not sure how else to really explain it other than how the document already does. Its primary use is to allow a mod to provide support for OCS without having to generate a separate patch file.

What specifically are you having trouble with?

Well, the three questions I asked would go a long way in helping me understand open cities so I can wrap my brain around it and move on.  The document is not all inclusive as to how open cities works. 

QUESTION 1: Detection methods outlined are neat, but wether used or not, doesnt your mot still need to be a master to the populated mod in order to place npcs inside a open city? 

Question 2:   After detection detects open cities, I get that it can enable or disable forms based on that.  But thsoe said forms, do I palce them by making the open cities mod a master and then placing them?  But if thats the way, players who want to use populated mods without open cities cant do it.  And that is the biggest confusion I have.

Question 3: The mods primarily just drop some npcs in the cities.  Do i even need a patch or to do anything to make the mod compatible with open cities?  As it relates to populated mods, what is required to make them compatible? 

Arthmoor, it may help you to make belive I have the mind of a 6 year old.  Bright six year old, but still six.

1. Nope. OCS doesn't need to become a master. The entire point of the document is explaining how to avoid needing to.

2. You would place whatever you need to place within your own mod and simply use the toggles to keep track of which ones you want to be used.

3. If all you're doing is strictly putting NPCs into the cities, and their AI is strictly using vanilla markers, then no, you don't actually need to do anything at all other than make sure your mod loads before OCS. Even easier to manage if they're placed in an interior to start with, like an inn or some other public building.

@Arthmoor : A user confirmed that if placed before open cities, Populated Cities Towns Villages Legendary Edition works just fine. Its npcs use the invisible gates to enter and leave city.  Thank you very much for your anwers and patience.

So your NPCs do simply sandbox around the vanilla markers or am I missing something now? :P

Arthmoor, NanoByteGhost (MA for the TEG mods) never responded. Could be he doesn't know how to find new messages.  Bethesda's website is not very intuitive in that regard. I might try to track him down through Nexus. Could also be it was just as expected, he just didn't respond.

Truth be told, I'm not convinced this "NanobyteGhost" person is the actual author of any of those mods. They appear to be stolen copies of Giskard's work.

Truth be told, I'm not convinced this "NanobyteGhost" person is the actual author of any of those mods. They appear to be stolen copies of Giskard's work.

Interesting and that would be bad. What makes you suspect that is the case? Would explain why I got no response. From the threads I have read so far, he represents them as if they are his.

Mainly because Giskard withdrew from the community several months ago and made it clear he would not be uploading his work anywhere. Plus he's got bad blood with Bethesda and isn't likely to have uploaded his stuff to a service run by them. Further still, he thinks all TES players and modders are trolls out to get him and has been sticking to Fallout instead.

All of those mods NanobyteGhost uploaded are old, from before Giskard withdrew. Which is why I suspect them all of being stolen.

Interesting and that would be bad. What makes you suspect that is the case? Would explain why I got no response. From the threads I have read so far, he represents them as if they are his.

Thanks. Shame. The content sounded great. Guess I will be deleting those from my load order after all. The images used for the pages do say "by Giskard" but a lot of MAs created their profile on Bethesda under a new name so no ever questions it, at least not openly in the comments. Its really odd because the MA has been chatting with people and trying to help. I believe whoever it is knows the mods pretty well but he did put all the "these are already tested / no updates likley" disclaimer on all of them.

Giskard's mods are not overly difficult to understand. Anyone versed enough in making mods could easily fake enough knowledge to give passable support for them.

Chatting with people and trying to help is not something Giskard was ever known for, so that's just more ammo to prove it's not really him :P

Well, went to look and see if he answered my last set of questions. He did not, but found this. Someone asked him what other mods he recommended in the comments:

TheNanoByteGhost

DeathMourn I am not a nexus user and I have not been part of the TES community since 2008 so I have absolutely no idea whats available. I just made mods privately because of the massive amount of mod trolls out there. Sorry bud.

Goes right along with what you said. Maybe it is him. He posted that comment 10 days ago. Wouldn't have meant a thing to me before having this conversation with you. Are the mods even any good? The content descriptions sound great but I found one review for Fighters Guild on another modder website and it was not flattering at all. Basically said the quests were terrible and overall the mod was not well made. Sorry I hijacked your OC thread. My bad, unintentional.

Nah, anyone familiar with him over the last 10 years would know enough to be able to fake that response. Sounds like this person might be someone who was in his inner circle for awhile before he purged his entire forum.

As for the content, I honestly wouldn't know if it's any good or not. His past history with Oblivion is enough to keep me from ever trying his stuff knowing it'll be loaded to the gills with dirty edits, deleted references, and intentionally incompatible edits designed to break other peoples' work.

• 2 weeks later...
SKSE 1.6.9+ and SkyUI 3.2+ are required in order to use the in-game configuration menu. They are NOT required in general for the mod itself.

SKSE 1.7+ is strongly recommended if you are having trouble with ILS/CTD issues. See the troubleshooting section.

Does that still applies for OCS-SSE?  I thought SKSE64 hasn't been released or am I mistaken.

SkyUI 2.2 doesn't have the MCM though so that's meaningless. Plus that mod is being distributed against the wishes of the authors to start with.

Open Cities Skyrim 3.0.1

Thanks go to Nico coiN for this update. All of the work was his!

Windhelm: City gate mesh fixed to have proper collision on the entire door, along with an adjustment to slow the animation speed a bit.
Windhelm: Corrected bad tangent spaces on the custom dock area meshes.
Windhelm: Some salmon on a fish rack were not positioned correctly.
Whiterun: Fixed UV errors, gaps, incorrect materials, and other problems on some of the meshes.
Markarth: Patched up the terrain visible in the tunnel leading to Cidhna Mine.
Riften: Removed two unneeded edits to vanilla trees outside the southeast gate. Added one tree inside the gate that was missing from vanilla.
Other: French translation added to the MCM.

• 7 months later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.0.2

General: The MCM has been disconnected. A configuration book is now available on the bookshelf in the Temple of Kynareth.
Windhelm, Solitude: Landscape has been raised beneath both cities in an attempt to diagnose a possible cause for NPC deaths reported in both locations before the player has even been there.

Thanks to Nico coiN for the following work to clean up more issues:

Windhelm: The main city gate trigger was set to the wrong enable state and was not autoclosing the gate when the player left the area.
Windhelm: Fixed the area along the southwest exterior wall so that it no longer extends past the original city wall. Removed several edits to ground objects that were no longer needed.
Solitude: Repositioned 3 partially buried barrels outside of the Winking Skeever.
Markarth: Gave the main city gate a custom mesh with a proper length sound animation to go with it.
Riften: Grounded a floating wall idle marker that caused guards to hover above the ground.

• 1 month later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.0.3

Windhelm: Landscape raised during the previous update was not properly leveled out around the New Gnisis Corner Club.
Markarth: The city gate somehow went missing. It has now returned from it's journey to the outer planes.
Solitude: A stray civil war fire box had an incorrect enable parent set on it, causing it to be visible at all times.

On 11/18/2016 at 6:03 AM, Arthmoor said:

https://steamid.eu/profile/76561197970388133 Look at the history

+

http://www.indiedb.com/members/nanobyteghost/comments/page/2#comments

NanoByteGhost May 12 2016 @ Return to Helgen

Return to Helgen V4.3 uploaded to MODB.

Due to heavy flaming and stalking aimed at me for making these mods, I have stopped using the name Giskard. Most links to Giskard accounts will there for not work anymore.

I am in the process of making major changes to how I do my modding but my plan is to use Moddb more often than I have been using the site and recommend fans of my work, watch this site for new releases and updates.

Expect more to follow soon.

Talk about necroposting an old topic :P

Bethesda removed all of that account's stuff though because it had been reported stolen numerous times and the person operating it wasn't providing proof of identity.

19 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Talk about necroposting an old topic :P

:) Yeah sorry was having a few beers and did a bit of random searching, I made a lot more interesting connections too via the wayback machine which cant be buried .. but they would be more appropriate on the old blog instead of here. Basicly madness as usual and nothing surprising.

Back O/T ..

5 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Open Cities Skyrim 3.0.3

Windhelm: Landscape raised during the previous update was not properly leveled out around the New Gnisis Corner Club.
Markarth: The city gate somehow went missing. It has now returned from it's journey to the outer planes.
Solitude: A stray civil war fire box had an incorrect enable parent set on it, causing it to be visible at all times.

Glad to see OC is still being cared for, I am just about to finally get my head around installing it while using DynDOLOD ..

Thank you Arthmoor.

• 1 month later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.0.4

Riften: Bolli's house door was severely misaligned. (Bug #22940)
Windhelm: The south wall in the Grey Quarter was floating above ground at the top of the stairway. (Bug #22883)
Solitude: A minor landscape spike at the blacksmith's forge has been leveled out.
Markarth: Tyrranus and Yngvar would not always be in front of the abandoned house to run their scene because the scene script was placing them in the closed worldspace.