[RELz] Open Cities Skyrim

Arthmoor

1 hour ago, Adella said:

As far as I can ascertain ALL the vanilla quests are available in the Open Cities (OC)…but you seem to be saying Arthmoor created these portal zones deliberately…odd then they are not ‘signposted’ or explained 

I mainly use them for mod-added quests or items that are located in the vanilla cities.  With portals we don't need patches:  we can simply zip over to the vanilla city, do the quest(s) or grab the items, and zip right back to the open city.  This is all explained in the readme:

The AI doors are entry ways into the closed wordspaces should it become necessary. Not everything that is placed in a city by a mod is worth the time it takes to create a patch. Mods that drop items for a one-time pickup are a good example of this. It's much easier to just go through the door, get what you need, then exit the city as normal.

Riften: East of the main city gate, next to the alley gate.
Markarth: Enter the city gate, turn immediately to your right. The small rock in the grass patch next to the ivy.
Whiterun #1: East side of the bridge into the city, right next to the brazier that is closest to the guard shack.
Whiterun #2: North side of Jorvaskr, on the side of the path up to the Skyforge.
Solitude #1: In the rock pile between the city gate and the executioner's platform.
Solitude #2: In the rock pile across from the Bard's College, immediately to the south of the manhole cover.
Windhelm: As you enter the city gate, turn immediately to the right, then immediately right again. It's in the bushes right next to the wall.

And to be clear, yes, ALL vanilla quests are doable with no patches. And as long as other quest mods don't direct you to an outdoor spot in the cities those would also work fine since the interiors are the vanilla interiors.

Ah….I don’t recall seeing any of this!  So I just checked the read-me with the OC mod in Bethnet.  
As I thought…..The Bethnet read-me is an abridged version, but it does not warn you that any info is missing!

I did also know about the Windhelm portal…but not the extra one in Solitude near the Bard’s college:ninja:

Anyhow, on the one hand it is nice to now have the full picture, whys and wherefores.

On the flip side, I am disappointed that these rock portals are pre-planned and not some fascinating quirk of the mod construction.

The npc behaviour in using them is at least still quirky and amusing…..

Yes, unfortunately the bethnet data doesn't allow us to include as much because there's a character limit on the field. It's probably fine for most mods, but stuff like OCS or LAL which have much more extensive readmes just don't work. They should have implemented a way to attach the text file directly to the mod page as a separate download.

LOOT tells me this (I'm running Skyrim SE) ...

Open Cities Skyrim.esp

• You seem to be using Saints and Seducers, but you have not enabled a compatibility patch for this mod. A compatibility patch is provided on this plugin's mod page.

... but the Nexus page is gone, and I cannot find the patch on this download page. Any help? Thanks!

That patch is in the second file on the OCS page here.

I'll probably be modifying the packaging to include the patch material as part of the main download and then just setting it up as a simple Wrye Bash package so that the optional patches will be more easily dealt with.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:12 PM, Arthmoor said:

The only one of the mods you've mentioned that should be a problem is the Skyrim Sewers one. Since I have no idea precisely what's been done to the .esp file for the console port I cannot guarantee that the patch between it and OCS would work if it were to be uploaded on bethesda.net.

You should be ok with still using Skyrim Sewers, it would just cut you off from accessing them from inside the cities is all, and you'd need to make sure OCS is set to load after it.

Hey Arthmoor, would myself or another mod author via Bethesda.net have permission to port the Skyrim Sewers patch for Xbox? I was informed that since you created the patch, it's your property and I would need your permission before doing anything with it.

There's no way to guarantee that the copy of Skyrim Sewers that was uploaded to bethesda.net is compatible with the patch for OCS. So I'll have to decline allowing that port to be made for now.

Mismatched patches for mods can do bad things to your saves, including corrupting them and crashing your game.

3 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

There's no way to guarantee that the copy of Skyrim Sewers that was uploaded to bethesda.net is compatible with the patch for OCS. So I'll have to decline allowing that port to be made for now.

Mismatched patches for mods can do bad things to your saves, including corrupting them and crashing your game.

If I privately test the mod on a new save on my Xbox and do every aspect of the mod and get no crashes, freezes etc. will you then consider it?

I want to also emphasize that I'm referring to this version of Skyrim Sewers - https://bethesda.net/en/mods/skyrim/mod-detail/4188496

Or is this a kind of thing you'd like to review and potentially release yourself?

Either way, I'll respect your decision.

Thank you!

It would be something I'd need to validate for myself, but since there's no way to download the console files directly to inspect them, there's no way to know what's been done to it since the description mentions "fixing" things. The data could easily be mismatched.

That's fair enough! I'm in no hurry, as I'm still working on 100%ing my playthrough on my Xbox. I will however, reach out to the mod author on Discord and see if I can get those files your way!

I'll let you know when I have those if he decided to provide them to me!

Thank you!

LOOT states the following when running "Open Cities" (I'm using SE) with "Interesting NPC" ...

Plugins

3DNPC.esp

• You seem to be using Open Cities Skyrim, but you have not enabled a compatibility patch for this mod. A compatibility patch is provided on this plugin's mod page.

... however, because the "plugin's mod page" is gone from Nexus - and I cannot find the 3DNPC+OCS patch, it isn't linked in the dependency list either https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/29194

It isn't included in the "Open Cities Skyrim Patches" from the Download page on AFK mods.

Is the 3DNPC patch available over here, or if it's still on Nexus, could someone please point me to it? Thanks!

It's on the 3DNPCs page on Nexus, files tab, all the way at the bottom. Listed as old and unsupported. I doubt anything in OCS has changed enough since March of 2020 to affect things but there may have been changes to 3DNPCs since then that do.

• 3 weeks later...

I have some questions about how this mod works, as I'm relative new to modding and I want this mod in my TOP10 list.

Let's say that I have two mods that overhaul city content (A and B)

Both have a different patch to OCS (A+OCS and B+OCS).

Also, they have an A+B patch.

Do I need and A+B+OCS patch if I already have the previous three patches (load order A,B, A+B, OCS, A+OCS, B+OCS)?

The other question, is there any tutorial to port a city overhaul to OCS if I do not have a patch available?

Edited by asensio87
Syntax change

It would generally be best to use the A+B if one is available since the A and B on their own are likely to induce conflicts with each other and the mods they're meant for.

No, there's no general tutorial for this, but Since OCS itself maintains a 1:1 coordinate match with where things are placed in the closed worldspaces it's more or less a matter of copying content from the closed worldspace and pasting it into the open worldspace. Then resolving any navmesh issues that may come up.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I was trying to remod my skyrim again whit OCS and I can not find your mod on Nexus (yes I know why now ^^).

I'm trying to install Jk's Skyrim/Great Cities/Cities of the North and I remember there was one patch for one of theses mod on the Nexus page of your mod.

So... did I need some patch for these mods ? And where can I find them?

Thank You

I never hosted the patches for those mods. You'll need to ask the people who made them where they've got them uploaded.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 2:24 PM, BillyG said:

LOOT tells me this (I'm running Skyrim SE) ...

Open Cities Skyrim.esp

• You seem to be using Saints and Seducers, but you have not enabled a compatibility patch for this mod. A compatibility patch is provided on this plugin's mod page.

... but the Nexus page is gone, and I cannot find the patch on this download page. Any help? Thanks!

On 8/14/2021 at 3:09 PM, Arthmoor said:

That patch is in the second file on the OCS page here.

I'll probably be modifying the packaging to include the patch material as part of the main download and then just setting it up as a simple Wrye Bash package so that the optional patches will be more easily dealt with.

I downloaded the Open Cities Skyrim Patches file, but it does not contain a patch for the Saints and Seducers mod. When I install it, I only see:

• CL Cities Whiterun
  • Skyrim Sewers
  • Drinking Fountains of Skyrim

No saints and seducers mod. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you're downloading the copy for SE and not LE. The LE copy obviously won't have that patch.

Hi Arthmoor.

I need to change the time when the lighting system turns on and off. It is not synchronized with the moment of darkness and it turns on with a delay ... I found in the script's source file "arth_utils_lightswitchtoggle.psc" a constant float Property LightsOffTime = 6.0 auto {The time at which lights should be turned off} float Property LightsOnTime = 20.0 auto {The time at which lights should be turned on}

I understand that it will be enough if I change them and compile the script?

Is there a chance for appropriate settings in the menu settings?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I have also one question,
Is there any non special edition version of the mod ?
Because i don't find it if it exist...
So tell me if I can find that
Thanks again 

• 2 weeks later...