[RELz] Open Cities Skyrim

Arthmoor

Open Cities Skyrim 3.0.5

Whiterun: Aela should no longer linger in the closed worldspace during Glory of the Dead when she's supposed to light the funeral pyre.
Whiterun: A door inside the Dragonsreach Dungeon was missing when it should not be. (Bug #24317)
Windhelm: A wall piece was missing next to Hjerim that is present in the closed city. (Bug #24317)
Windhelm: A landscape bubble has been lowered in front of Aventus Aretino's house.
Markarth: Eltrys was out of position due to his original marker having persistent status because MS01 starts the game enabled.

• 3 weeks later...

Arthmoor, are you planning to restore the MCM menu to handle OCS settings ? You can actually access it, but changing options from there actually has no effect. And btw, I also have the same question for Provincial Courrier Service.

The MCM in OCS for SSE should be working. I never disabled it, so it came back to life once SkyUI was out.

PCS will stick to using the dialogue options on the courier NPC because those are better for immersion purposes and they cover all of the available delivery options.

Strangely, gate attendants and lighting can be toggled through MCM or the dedicated book in Temple of Kynareth. Oblivion gates, however, remain invisible whatever I'm doing...

Well I'm not sure what else to tell you. I just went and tried it myself in Whiterun and the gates disabled, even with me standing in front of them. They toggle states just fine regardless of whether I use the book or the MCM.

• 5 weeks later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.0.6

Oblivion gate meshes were missing from the archive. Oddly this didn't cause display problems for everyone, which made figuring this out difficult at best.

• 1 month later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.0.7

Facegen data for Heimskr was included in the archive but should not have been.
Direct edits to Heimskr's NPC record have been removed in order to avoid compatibility issues with other mods that wish to alter his data.

• 2 weeks later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.0.8

Made adjustments to a marker object that advances Helgen to be occupied by bandits so that it will no longer require my alternate start mod to load after it. This should resolve an incompatibility with region and location data in Whiterun.
Several containers and doors in the market area were not locked like they should have been. All containers in the market area now match their vanilla settings.

• 1 month later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.0.9

Navmesh cleaning with new versions of xEdit.
Patch files have been updated to use the ESL flag to save on mod slots.

• 1 month later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.1.0

Solitude: A fire that should only be present during the civil war battle was pointing to the wrong enable parent. (Bug #25246)
Solitude: Rocks placed to cover a mesh gap near the Bards College. (Bug #24927)

• 1 month later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.1.1

Riften: A compatibility script now exists for Falskaar to move Jalamar's AI markers into the correct worldspace for the beginning of the quest.

Open Cities Skyrim 3.1.2

All: Copied some missed foliage items in every city.

• 2 weeks later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.1.3

Whiterun: Heimskr's substitute preaching script was throwing errors and needed to be corrected.

• 1 month later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.1.4

Updated the lighting control script to remain compatible with the version added in Granite Hill and Cutting Room Floor.

• 7 months later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.1.5

Solitude: A stray fire object for the civil war was set to the wrong enable parent and was thus always active.
Solitude: The occlusion box for Erikur's House stuck out beyond the back wall causing it to turn invisible if viewed from the back side.

• 5 months later...

Open Cities Skyrim 3.1.6

Whiterun: The Gildergreen was missing from the closed worldspace during the CW battle due to having been moved improperly years and years ago. (Bug #22949)
Solitude: A chunk of landscape editing in cell SolitudeDocks02 (outside of the actual city) caused unnecessary incompatibility with other mods that altered the dock areas.

Hey Arthmoor,

I hope you've been well! I'm a long time an of your mods such as Ars Metallica and Provincial Courier Service. I'm currently working on finishing my save on Xbox and getting all my achievements. Once achievements are accomplished, I plan on inserting a solid set of mods.

I am thinking about adding Open Cities to my load order, however I'm concerned about a couple of mods. I plan to get Beyond Skyrim: Bruma, Wyrmstooth, Skyrim Sewers, Wood Cutter's Campsite and Bitterbreeze Books.

I've seen on your page that Skyrim Sewers 4 should have a patch, but I cannot find it on Bethesda's website. I plan to use Karhnivor's updated version of the mod here - mod page. Will you be bringing the patch to Bethesda's site for Xbox users? Are there any mod conflicts with Beyond Skyrim: Bruma, Wyrmstooth or smaller mods like Wood Cutter's Campsite and Bitterbreeze Books?

I really want to use Open Cities, but I do not want to ruin a save or have any crashes / freezes if the mod won't be compatible with any of these mods. I will attach my pre-emptive mod load order for your review in-case that helps. I plan to play on my Xbox One X.

Can you please provide me any of your thoughts or information?

Thank you!

*I used the following link to help me with putting together my load order:*

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouzi9f0dma00yhd/Skyrim%20Recommended%20Mod%20Load%20Order%20-%20Master.docx?dl=0

Skyrim Load Order.pdf

The only one of the mods you've mentioned that should be a problem is the Skyrim Sewers one. Since I have no idea precisely what's been done to the .esp file for the console port I cannot guarantee that the patch between it and OCS would work if it were to be uploaded on bethesda.net.

You should be ok with still using Skyrim Sewers, it would just cut you off from accessing them from inside the cities is all, and you'd need to make sure OCS is set to load after it.

I use Open Cities on XBox1S Art.

I don’t know if this is a bug, or just a consequence of the mod mechanic, but it is….amusing.  I am not aware of it being raised by anyone else, although I did discuss the odd mod behaviour back in Bethnet.

Right, so, I was wondering where some of the Whiterun npcs had gone and why later in the day they usually showed their faces again, a few like Brenuin the tramp, could almost never be found in the city.

Then, by chance, standing near Jorrvaskr I noticed an npc walk to a rock near the wall and bend forward in the stance of the usual door opening ani.  Sure enough, they despawned. I investigated the rock and spotted the Action text “Open Whiterun”.

I clicked it and had loading screen pop up.  When I spawned…I was still in Whiterun in the exact same place….BUT….it was not “Open Cities” (OC) Whiterun, but the original Closed Cities (CC) Whiterun.  Like an alternate universe ha!  However, this CC Whiterun would not allow me to use doors to buildings, but did usefully have a complete duplicate set of harvestable ingredients!

A large contingent of the OC missing npcs were indeed going about normal business in CC Whiterun…and periodically they would use the Rock Portal to return to OC Whiterun.  Upon further nosing around I discovered a second “Open Whiterun” Action text at another Rock…the one at the end of the stone bridge outside Adrianne’s forge.  This portal simply worked the same as the one outside Jorrvaskr.

A final twist is if you leave the closed city by the main gate…you get the usual loading screen and spawn outside the OC main gate….which can then be opened up as usual to allow entry with no loading screen.

The only inconvenience of this weirdness is sometimes a missing npc is needed in OC Whiterun to activate a dialogue.  A real example is that little exchange where Olfrid and Idolaf verbally bully Fralia Grey-mane at her market stall.  If Idolaf..or Olfrid have gone visiting CC Whiterun…well the dialogue stalls because they can’t contribute.

So….why do some npcs seek out the ‘portal stones’ to the alternative Whiterun?  I think I have reasoned it out.  Their routes are driven by their daily routines and/or the ‘Immersive Citizens’ mod.  The pathing seems happy to get them to their intended destination either within OC or by going through a stone to reach the identical  destination in CC Whiterun…it doesn’t know the difference.

Finally….What about other Skyrim gated cities?  So, naturally I checked them out…and sure enough Markarth, Riften and Solitude all have at least one portal stone with Action Text that transports you..and some npcs…to the original Closed City.

This is interesting….I use the ‘Public Executions’ (call it PE) mod in Solitude….yes I know we should not use mods which affect a city when Open Cities is installed.  Despite PE being active in my LO, it does not appear in Open Cities….but get this…..It DOES show up, and function correctly, in the alternate Closed City Solitude, which we can access through the portal rock (between the execution stage and the main gate).  This is useful to me because I like the PE special bandit capturing dagger sold be the mod’s Quarter Master.

If this is old news, please forgive my enthusiasm because it was new to me and quite fascinating.

Adella

The stones allow players to do quests that are located in the vanilla cities.  I've never noticed any of my NPCs wandering between open and closed cities.  But then again I don't use mods that alter NPC behavior, so, as you say, Immersive Citizens may have something to do with that.

3 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

The stones allow players to do quests that are located in the vanilla cities.  I've never noticed any of my NPCs wandering between open and closed cities.  But, then again, I don't use mods that alter NPC behavior, so I'm guessing that may have something to do with it.

Hmmm….As far as I can ascertain ALL the vanilla quests are available in the Open Cities (OC)…but you seem to be saying Arthmoor created these portal zones deliberately…odd then they are not ‘signposted’ or explained huh!

Yes, as I said I think ‘Immersive Citizens’ could be pathing npcs to the right location in the wrong city.  The odd thing are those who travel back and forth.  Adrianne spends most of her time in OC, but visits CC from time to time….Like she’s frikkin alive and deciding for herself:lmao:

Oh one further quirk…..In Riften Aerin was missing, so Mjoll stood silent and not moving in OC Riften.  I found him in CC Riften and get this….When I spoke to him, he then followed me back to OC Riften and took up position with Mjoll triggering her dialogue correctly….AND he is now remaining in OC Riften even starting a new game.  So how he got himself into CC Riften, or why, is a mystery.

Hopefully Art will pour some light on this for us…or me at least:X

If you're using Immersive Citizens, Shurah has a patch for OCS. I don't know if that was ever ported to Xbox, but that's what you need.

If that patch doesn't exist, you should make sure OCS loads after Immersive Citizens.

Those doorways through the rocks are intentional, as Pseron pointed out. NPCs aren't normally supposed to be using those, but they will if something isn't right with the load order.