[RELz] Bring Out Your Dead

Arthmoor

bring-out-your-dead-logo.jpg

Bring Out Your Dead is a simple yet immersive mod which expands on the number of graves given to the unique NPCs in areas of the game that don't currently have them. Solitude, Windhelm, Whiterun, Riften, and Markarth all have a Hall of the Dead that contains coffins and urns for various unique NPCs who live there. Their items are transferred to their assigned coffin when they die. The smaller cities of Falkreath, Morthal, Dawnstar, and Winterhold do not have these facilities, and neither do the other smaller villages and towns. NPCs living on farms outside the major hold capitols don't get buried in their Hall of the Dead either. This mod aims to correct this and provide for more uniform handling of everyone's dead.

Falkreath and Morthal both have graveyards already and have been expanded slightly to hold more. Dawnstar and Winterhold now have their own Halls of the Dead just outside of town. The smaller villages all have space set aside for new graveyards. NPCs living on farms immediately outside the 5 major hold capitols will be given appropriate burial space in the Hall of the Dead for their city if they don't already have it.

NPCs marked as essential will not be given a grave since they cannot be killed normally unless the game removes that flag as the result of a completed quest.

Downloads

AFK Mods
Bethesda.net - PC + XB1

Installation Requirements

Skyrim Special Edition 1.6.1130 or greater.
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch 4.3.0 or greater.

DO NOT extract the contents of the BSA file into your Data folder as loose files, or let your mod manager perform an equivalent function on the contents of the file. Doing so will cause things to load in the wrong order and break the game. Skyrim is intended to load a BSA alongside it's ESM/ESP file. Circumventing this causes issues which I will not provide support for. If you insist on going against this advice, you will receive no support for the problems you generate as a result of this.

Installation - Wrye Bash BAIN

Drop the archive into your Skyrim Special Edition Mods\Bash Installers folder, then install as usual.
Make sure the mod is active in the Wrye Bash mods tab.

Installation - Manual

Drop Bring Out Your Dead - Legendary Edition.esp and Bring Out Your Dead - Legendary Edition.bsa into your Data folder.
Activate the mod using whatever management tool suits you.

Uninstalling Bring Out Your Dead

Due to the nature of Skyrim mods, especially those adding scripts, it is strongly discouraged to attempt uninstalling a mod from your active game. Any mod that is more than pure mesh or texture replacements has the possibility to leave behind permanent changes to your save that you may not want. This is not something modders can correct for. It is how the game was designed by Bethesda. No support will be provided for anyone who uninstalls this mod from an active game and continues on with that save.

To remove the mod: Delete the Bring Out Your Dead.esp and Bring Out Your Dead.bsa from your Data folder. Then reload your game as usual.

Load Order

This touches numerous NPCs, which can lead to conflicts. Since gravestones aren't in and of themselves terribly important, it's advised to load this mod early on and allow other mods which have other changes to make the ability to take effect.

Compatibility

Expanded Towns and Cities has been confirmed to be 100% compatible as of version 2.0.

Potential conflict with any mod which is expanding the various cities and villages. If these conflicts are brought to my attention I can attempt to make adjustments for them within reason.

Disclaimer

This mod is not made, guaranteed, or supported by Microsoft, Zenimax, Bethesda Game Studios, or any of their affiliates.

• 2 weeks later...

What can I say...  :devil:   problem with water?

A question mark because I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that in USSEP is ok.

Bring Out Your Dead.esp \ Worldspace \ 0000003C <Tamriel> \ Block -1, 0 \ Sub-Block -2, 1 \ 000093BF <MorthalExterior06>

Q3MfqNFl.png

• 1 year later...

Version 4.0.2

Grounded some floating objects in the Winterhold Hall of the Dead.

Thought I report this since it is BOYD related, prepare for a mild wall of text.

There is an active script getting stuck in my saves from BOYD, and this script has stuck for the entire playthrough when it popped up the last 2 playthroughs. Each time has been when I did quests in Markarth, but it took until the third playthrough to figure out which quest it was because I did them in a different order this time around.

The quest that seems to be the problem is "The House of Horrors": http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_House_of_Horrors and the problem character seems to be Logrolf: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Logrolf_the_Willful"

When I kill him the script called "ARTH_BOYD_BodyCleanupAliasScript (008bbb35)" in my save will never be able to complete, it will try to cleanup forever because he is in a very wierd faction called: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Do_not_clean_up_body_/_move_items_to_crypt,_even_if_script_says_to_do_so#Do_not_clean_up_body_.2F_move_items_to_crypt.2C_even_if_script_says_to_do_so

Oddly enough that other guy you murder in there (Vigilant Tyranus)is in the same faction but his body is removed properly, he is removed when you rescue Logrolf according to UESP: " If you wish to loot Vigilant Tyranus's body, do it right after killing him. His body will disappear when you return with Logrolf." Which seems correct since his body isn't around when you return and no BOYD script was active before Logrolf was killed either in my save.

I guess I could be wrong about the whole thing, but it is a quest in Markarth and it has always stuck around after House of Horrors have been completed, I find it unlikely for it to happen 3 times in a row if it is some random fluke. Luckily since this script is a "WaitGameTime" thing I assume it doesn't do this check very often, it seems to do a check every 12 hours ingame if the body is cleaned up or not but I don't really understand scripts at all so I could be wrong.

So end of day it isn't the end of the world with it getting stuck forever but I sort of have OCD for these things, traps getting stuck in saves freak me out aswell.

No idea why he's in that faction but because of that and the fact that he's never removed from it, I should not have made an alias for him in the mod because now his corpse will persist indefinitely.

Normally I'd not advise using a console command, but this should be harmless and solve the problem. Find his body, click on it in the console, and type:

RemoveFromFaction 0009653a

That should result in my script taking over to deal with it from there. Which is ultimately pointless due to him having no inventory anyway.

Version 4.0.3

Logrolf the Willful should not have been provided with an alias for body cleanup due to him being placed in the no cleanup faction and never getting removed from it.

Ah great it wasn't me going crazy then. That was a fast fix!

Gonna use the console command to remove the faction from him so the script can run its course next time I'm around Markarth, thanks!

Edit: The script was able to complete on the next try after removing him from the faction, solved!

• 1 month later...

Version 4.0.4

Removed the quest edit from DB06 for Gaius Maro's alias and transferred the no body cleanup faction setting to my own alias for when he's killed. Should remove any compatibility issues from that quest now.

• 1 month later...

Version 4.0.5

Updated USSEP synchronization.

• 4 months later...

Version 4.0.6

NPCs who are already dead should get graves activated for them now.

• 2 months later...

Version 4.0.7

Removed the alias and grave for Barknar in Ivarstead since it cannot be filled for some reason.
Fixed an issue that could prevent some NPC aliases from being processed correctly due to timing issues in OnInit().

• 2 years later...