[RELz] Ars Metallica - Smithing Enhancement

Arthmoor

ars-metallica-logo.jpg

The crafting system is one of Skyrim's better features, but for thieves and archers, there's not much use for the system. Light armor is dead easy to come by in already finished forms, but arrows can sometimes be scarce in the types you may want. Lockpicks have been known to be somewhat scarce too, yet are relatively basic to construct.

Ars Metallica aims to fill in some of the basic issues I had with the crafting system by doing the following:

For vanilla Skyrim:

• Allow archers to forge their own arrows out of the various ore materials, wood, leather strips, and feathers. Indirectly making it somewhat useful to chop wood too.
  • Allow thieves to make their own lockpicks out of iron or steel.
  • Provide skill advancement for the use of the smelter to melt down ore. After all, that's as important as knowing how to shape it once refined.
  • Provide skill advancement for the use of the tanning rack to make leather. That's far more important in my mind than the skill advances from using the leather to make stuff.
  • Provide for a small amount of skill advancement from mining the ore itself out of ore veins.
  • Provide the ability to melt down existing pieces of armor and some clutter items into ingots so that you can then use those ingots to make missing pieces of a set if you want.
  • Allow members of factions to forge equipment appropriate to their guild. Thieves can make guild armor. Assassins can make Brotherhood armor. Legionnaires can make Imperial armor, and so on.

For Dawnguard:

• Modifies the dragonbone arrow recipes and the crossbow bolt recipes to conform to the same formulas as vanilla. Disabled Dawnguard's native recipes.

For Hearthfire:

• Provides smithing experience for using the various workbenches used to construct your homes. The drafting table does not count since nothing is actually built using it.

For Dragonborn:

• Modifies the stalhrim and nordic arrow recipes to conform to the same formulas as the vanilla arrows.
  • Adds smelting formulas to recover ore from stalhrim and nordic carved equipment.
  • Adds crafting feathers to the Felsaad Tern.

Note that all smelting of metals requires that you know the perk associated with that metal. For example, if you wish to smelt Dwemer scrap, you need to know the Dwemer Smithing perk first. This applies not just to smelting existing goods but also to smelting raw ore. This isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Downloads

AFK Mods
ModDB.com
Bethesda.net - PC + XB1
Bethesda.net - PS4

Installation Requirements

Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.97 or greater.

DO NOT extract the contents of the BSA file into your Data folder as loose files, or let your mod manager perform an equivalent function on the contents of the file. Doing so will cause things to load in the wrong order and break the game. Skyrim is intended to load a BSA alongside it's ESM/ESP file. Circumventing this causes issues which I will not provide support for. If you insist on going against this advice, you will receive no support for the problems you generate as a result of this.

Installation - Wrye Bash BAIN

Drop the archive into your Skyrim Special Edition Mods\Bash Installers folder, then install as usual.
Make sure the mod is active in the Wrye Bash mods tab.

Installation - Manual

Drop the Ars Metallica.esp and Ars Metallica.bsa files into your Data folder.
Activate the mod using whatever management tool suits you.

Uninstall

Due to the nature of Skyrim mods, especially those adding scripts, it is strongly discouraged to attempt uninstalling a mod from your active game. Any mod that is more than pure mesh or texture replacements has the possibility to leave behind permanent changes to your save that you may not want. This is not something modders can correct for. It is how the game was designed by Bethesda. No support will be provided for anyone who uninstalls this mod from an active game and continues on with that save.

To remove the mod: Delete the Ars Metallica.esp and Ars Metallica.bsa files from your Data folder. Then reload your game as usual.

Known Issues

Silver swords and greatswords can be forged but they show up under the MISC category.

Compatibility

Any mod that alters the vanilla mining script, MineOreScript.psc, will be incompatible.

Any mod which alters the base smelter object or the base tanning rack object is incompatible. (Mesh & Texture mods are OK though)

Any mod which alters the recipes for the vanilla ingot formulas will be incompatible.

Any mod adding items to chickens, pheasants, dead hawks, or the DeathItemHagraven leveled list will be incompatible without Wrye Bash.

Any Dawnguard mods that modify the arrow recipes, steel bolt recipe, or dwarven bolt recipe will be incompatible. The magic crossbow bolt recipes have not been altered.

Any Hearthfire mods that modify the carpenter's workbench or the other smaller workbenches in each of the houses will be incompatible.

Any Dragonborn mods that modify the two arrow recipes will be incompatible.

Disclaimer

This mod is not made, guaranteed, or supported by Microsoft, Zenimax, Bethesda Game Studios, or any of their affiliates.

• Like 2

An improvement to this particular lovely mod would be the ability to break down into Leather all the Fur, Leather and Hide items. The Studded items could either be broken down at a forge for the steel or at the tanning rack for the leather. I do miss that ability that was in a mod in the old Skyrim.... :coffee:

An improvement to this particular lovely mod would be the ability to break down into Leather all the Fur, Leather and Hide items.

You're better off using Chesko's Campfire mod and I know it's compatible with Ars Metallica.

I left out leather and cloth/fur deconstruction because such a thing makes little logical sense. About all you could get back from deconstructing leather items might be some leather strips, so I suppose that's a possibility, but that would be about all. Cloth/Fur is kind of useless if you tear it to pieces after stitching it all together.

• 1 month later...

No, because for one thing that "patch" is actually disabling part of the mod and is an unauthorized modification to my work, which I've reported, but has clearly been ignored. Nexus has become increasingly unwilling to back up authors rights and I'm getting damn close to just pulling everything I have there from the site because of it.

• Like 1

I thought that was the case hence my post here.

I think you remember the thread about the Oblivion Gates mod at BSF a couple of years ago and later the same thread become hidden due to moderation.

As I recall it you posted in that thread and I think it was BootySweet (now Icy... something) who make the call to hide the thread.

You can always protest by doing what you just said.  Pull down all mods and probably leave the site.

EDIT:  I asked the modder here about having permission from the original author.

I don't think the author edited the base object.

Btw...  Have you consider to add a smelter in Riverwood, I mean it's near the Embershard Mine?

If I end up doing any sort of village expansion for Riverwood I'd consider adding it for that. That's not something I want Ars to deal with though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Version 2.0.1

Smelting an Ancient Nord Bow or a Honed Ancient Nord Bow is not supposed to provide Dwarven ingots. They should be steel.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if you have consider to add the Hunting Bow to the tanning rack.  The Hunting Bow, according to UESP, cannot be created at the forge nor can it be created when using a tanning rack, but it can be improved with a leather strips.

• 2 months later...

Just curious.  I don't know if it is intentional or not, but shouldn't the blacksmith in Dawnstar have a workbench and I just notice that in-game.

Active Mod Files:

* 00  Skyrim.esm

* 01  Update.esm
* 02  Dawnguard.esm
* 03  Hearthfires.esm
* 04  Dragonborn.esm
* 05  Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp  [Version 4.0.7]
* 06  Campfire.esm
* 07  TravellersOfSkyrim.esm
* 08  ApachiiHair.esm
* 09  Cutting Room Floor.esp  [Version 3.0.3]
* 0A  Bring Out Your Dead.esp  [Version 4.0.1]
* 0B  When Vampires Attack.esp  [Version 3.1]
* 0C  Barrels and Crates.esp
* 0D  Castle Volkihar Rebuilt.esp  [Version 2.0]
* 0E  Practice Dummies.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
* 0F  Dragon Claw Stands.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
* 10  Breezehome Loft Crafting.esp
* 11  Point The Way.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
* 12  Run For Your Lives.esp  [Version 3.1.1]
* 13  Word Walls Relocated.esp
* 14  Ars Metallica.esp
* 15  Darkwater Crossing.esp  [Version 2.0.2]
* 16  Dolmen Ruins.esp  [Version 2.0.2]
* 17  Shor's Stone.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
* 18  Skyshards.esp  [Version 1.0.2]
* 19  Frostfall.esp
* 1A  Ivarstead.esp  [Version 2.0.2]
* 1B  Manor Roads.esp  [Version 1.0]
* 1C  Helarchen Creek.esp  [Version 2.0.2]
* 1D  Kynesgrove.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
* 1E  Whistling Mine.esp  [Version 2.0.3]
* 1F  Soljund's Sinkhole.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
* 20  Karthwasten.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
* 21  Dragon Bridge.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
* 22  Bee Hives.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
* 23  The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp  [Version 2.0]
* 24  CWQuartermasters.esp  [Version 2.0]
* 25  TravellersOfSkyrim - Vanilla.esp
* 26  TravellersOfSkyrim - Dragonborn Addon.esp
* 27  Skyrim Map Markers.esp
* 28  FollowersCanLoot.esp
* 29  AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
* 2A  moredragonloot.esp
* 2B  IcePenguinWorldMap.esp
* ++  lighterdbs.esp
* 2C  TalosHousecarl.esp
* 2D  CraftableSkaalforFrostfall.esp
* 2E  lightthiefarmor.esp
* 2F  immersiveloverscomfort.esp
* 30  Open Cities Skyrim.esp
* 31  Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp  [Version 4.0.2a]
* 32  Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
* 33  RDO - AFT v1.66 Patch.esp
* 34  RDO - CRF + USSEP Patch.esp
* 35  Bashed Patch, 0.esp
* 36  Dawnguard Map Markers.esp  [Version 1.0.1]

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature but... with this mod you can level smithing very cheaply by creating iron daggers, then smelting them down into iron ingots again. So effectively you get a decent increase just for the cost of leather strips (not to mention the extra boost from smelting the daggers back into ingots). The same trick doesn't work for steel, dwarven, orkish, elven or glass because they require more materials than you get from smelting them down, but I do notice that Ebony daggers require only one ebony ingot and leather strips... I had taken the light armour branch, must try out the heavy branch to see if the same trick works with ebony, i.e. presuming you get one ebony ingot from smelting down an ebony dagger.

To "fix" this, if desireable, maybe make it so that you need two daggers to produce one ingot.

Edit: Works for ebony daggers too. Rolled a new character, had to go on one or two adventures and take carriages to one or two holds to buy more leather, but got to 80 blacksmithing pretty quick, then went to Gloombound mine to pick up ebony ore, levelled to 91, and made myself legendary ebony armour and weapons. Level 16 with only three areas cleared, and 7 unspent perks...

Version 2.0.2

Constructing the Thieves Guildmaster Hood was not using the improved Thieves Guild Hood like it was supposed to. The recipe was incorrectly looking for boots.
Dwarven ingots made from the smelting recipe from the unofficial patch will no longer cause duplicate menu entries to appear.
Making ingots out of iron daggers will now require two daggers instead of one.
Making ingots out of ebony daggers will now require two daggers instead of one.

• 2 months later...

Version 2.0.3

Crafting feathers were not available on hanging pheasants due to overlooking them when porting the mod to SSE.

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious.  I only ask this here, because I wanted to know if you altered anything when porting the Ars Metallica mod to SSE.  This is what happen in-game in SLE, hence my question here.

What I mean is about the smithing perk tree and the double smithing perks, the Elven and the Dwarwen, for the 30th level in the smithing perk tree.

I dunno if this is intentional or not, but I think I found a glitch and that happen when I had just level up and got another perk to spend.  Which after I level up I had two perks, so I spent both perks for the Elven and the Dwarwen smithing perks.

After I did that I could improve Orcish weapons in the grindstone.  So how could I improve Orchish weapons in the grindstone without having the Orchish smithing perk in Ars Metallica? :shrug:

Note, I am not saying there is a glitch or a bug in Ars Metallica, just wanted to post my findings.

That's either a bug in the vanilla game for the item you're trying to improve, or you have another mod that's messing with the smithing perks. Ars doesn't alter them or add new ones. It just uses them as conditions for being able to scrap items made of those materials, and to smelt ore for them too.

Well, then you can consider that as a bug, because I don't use any mod that touches the smithing perks not I am aware of.

But I suggest that you check that yourself, because I'm too tired now to check my loadorder and now I need to go to bed.  Besides, I can't check that myself in SSE, but I will check that once I made the smithing skill legendary in-game.