Arthmoor

[RELz/WIPz] Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch

On 5/9/2020 at 1:37 PM, Arthmoor said:

The fix for 19338 was moved to the retro script for 4.2.3 instead of UDBP 2.1.2 to correct that it wasn't setting the right levels and amounts.

Aha, might help to be mentioned in USSEP Fixes, with the usual strikeout in UDBP. I know most folks never read it, but a few of us do.... ;)

54 minutes ago, DayDreamer said:

The problem at the moment is no way to decide whether the vanilla driver is sitting in his carriage seat. ICAIO moves the driver around, and has him sleeping. The long-time US*P solution is checking that he's sitting anywhere, fixing a lot of grief, but there are cases of that not being quite correct (sitting inside, sitting on a bench outside). Still, it's much better than nothing!

What I'm currently doing in Touring Carriages is after the player selects "Where do you want to go?" checking bSitting. Unfortunately, because that test happens afterward, the player sees only "Never mind."

I was looking for a definitive early test (such as the aforementioned "link.IsInFurnitureState Sit == 1 AND"; that works in scripting). Apparently, even though documented, it doesn't work properly in conditions. Or I'm doing it wrong.

You probably have to track this for each driver and store the tracking variable. OnActivate() events on the carriages should reliably work to tell you whether the driver is sitting (and in which carriage). OnSit() is not reliable and may even pass a wrong furniture ref (apparently an engine bug, according to the notes on the CK Wiki). OnGetUp(), on the other hand, is reliable,

8 hours ago, Sclerocephalus said:

OnSit() is not reliable and may even pass a wrong furniture ref (apparently an engine bug, according to the notes on the CK Wiki).

Interesting. That's a vanilla script: CarriageDriverScript. The Bug note is 2015. Anybody know whether that bug has been formally reported to Bethesda?

The bSitting conditional variable is only relied upon in one line of code. Since the vanilla driver only ever sits in one place, this bug may not have occurred in the past.

ICAIO claims (on its description) to have been QA'd by Bethesda. Arthmoor's target practice is on the same Bethesda page, so he could tell us how much vetting is actually done....

What should be done for US*P?

I would take any claims of being "QA'd" by Bethesda with a grain of salt. As far as I know the only testing they do is enough to make sure it loads. Maybe they do more than that, but they never told me what that was. I seriously doubt they'd have spent any serious time running a much more complex mod like ICAO through any sort of formal testing.

As far as USSEP is concerned, there's no bug because the carriage drivers never stay off the carts for very long if you manage to be able to dislodge them in a vanilla setup. They certainly don't go running off to hide in a building or whatever, even if you attack them directly. The only thing we did for the dialogue itself was to make sure you couldn't initiate a cart ride while he was out of his seat, and so far I've seen no indication that this is broken unless ICAO is installed.

On 5/11/2020 at 3:11 PM, Arthmoor said:

They certainly don't go running off to hide in a building or whatever,

IIRC, we added that condition because of Run For Your Lives; actually When Vampires Attack at the time, driver ran and hid in Windhelm City, and trying to take a ride from him caused a reproducible problem. Ensuring he was sitting was enough to fix it, because the only place he sat was on his linked seat.

On 5/11/2020 at 3:11 PM, Arthmoor said:

so far I've seen no indication that this is broken unless ICAO is installed.

Agreed. Personally, I don't run ICAIO (I've always used Run For Your Lives), so I've no good reproducible tests. It's just user reports. (Many of them.)

Thanks for all the assistance. At least I've learned something about failures of the OnSit() event and the "link.IsInFurnitureState Sit" conditional. Maybe they'll work in some future game engine.

Reported bugs in tickets 200515-007256 and 200515-07347 respectively. No idea how to access anybody else's tracked bugs.

That may have been the case with really old copies of RFYL or WVA, but that issue with the carriage drivers was fixed long ago before SSE was even a thing. So nobody playing on SSE should be having any trouble with those drivers today because their faction is exempt from consideration as one of the aliases to fill. So unless they're directly attacked they'll sit on that carriage ignoring the world around them. Unrealistic? Indeed, but better than them running off somewhere and never coming back.

Getting the Kahvozein's Fang early in the game will always increase encumbrance by 5 and the player cannot remove that blade from the inventory due for being a quest item.

That blade is required for the Alteration Ritual Spell quest when the player reach level 90 in Alteration and according to UESP Forelhost is one of six possible dragon priest locations.

In which Arngeir doesn't send the player to during his radiant word of wall quest, so it would make sense if Tolfdir directed the player there just to avoid the player for having increased encumbrance by 5 early in the game.

Another thing I find it odd is that the quest for finding Tolfdir's alembic is repeatable and so is the aftershock quest, but the latter quest is more logical to me due to the nature of such a quest.

What should we do about Redbelly Mine? We did a lovely job with the mist and swapping ores, and a red mist makes more sense for an iron mine. But I've just noticed on UESP that ESO has it as an ebony mine. Maybe the current correct answer would be to swap back and change Grogmar's Mine Ore to pay for ebony instead?

[EDIT] Nevermind, a whole host of other voiced dialogue would have to say ebony, too. Should we file a bug report with Bethesda?

You can file one but it won't be addressed given that it involved a sizeable portion of dialogue and they'd need to run it all through translations for every supported language.

You can see now why we went with the solution we did, since splice-acted lines will sound like absolute shit, and no voice actor is ever going to be able to mimic the real actors closely enough to fool anyone.

And keep in mind that ESO is ~900 years ago in Skyrim's timeline, so it's likely the old Ebony deposits are long gone anyway and the town made due with what they could dig up below them.

11 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

And keep in mind that ESO is ~900 years ago in Skyrim's timeline, so it's likely the old Ebony deposits are long gone anyway and the town made due with what they could dig up below them.

Aaaannd, they just found a mystery ore in there. (Quicksilver I think) so it could be changing again.

21 hours ago, Jebbalon said:

Aaaannd, they just found a mystery ore in there. (Quicksilver I think) so it could be changing again.

Good logic, I like it. :) Besides, I've never played ESO. Just noticed it on UESP, was thinking we'd made a mistake. Since we've done a fair job of documenting, and we know that Bethesda sometimes checks UESP for Lore, the onus is on them. I'll see what UESP folks will allow in the Lore section.

MGCollegeLectures still have some bugs after all these years. I've got some script fixes.

The original was an OnUpdate that ran every 30 seconds forever after you joined the college (MG01). Other scripts used OnUpdateGameTime. Shroob fixed that stuff. But his script doesn't have needed tests to prevent infinite loops in several (admittedly rare) conditions. Just basic defensive programming.

Also, there's a bug fix for Arniel Gane, preventing attending lectures during Under Saarthal. Tolfdir is in even more scenes. Shouldn't he also be prevented from attending?

Moreover, if a scene fails for any reason, the chain of registrations fails, as the registration is in the final stage of each scene. There's no way to restart the lecture series.

Therefore, I've a nagging feeling that it should be a Story Manager event, whenever the player re-enters the college location after joining, that quits when the player leaves. It cannot be good to run scenes over and over in the background forever.

Any interest in that change? Or should we just leave it to fail?

Edited by DayDreamer
ask for guidance