[Skyrim SE] Porting a mod from LE to SSE

Arthmoor

I remember finding out about it just after SSE release on the Grey cowl of nocturnal discussion thread over at nexus. This was a year ago but there was a couple of mods back then that I read about having the issue. It was ones that were all adding new worldspaces. I think Falskaar had it also.

Heres a reddit on it = 

2 hours ago, mrPron said:

Damn it! You just saved my mind. Thanks.

Yep, now saves works properly.

You are welcome. My mind is a vast repository of almost useless knowledge. (I tend to read and retain all the time like ALL THE TIME I browse and read stuff like this most of my time) but sometimes things like that really come in handy to know.

@Kelsenellenelvian See, I figured I was probably a party to the thread :P

Anyway, yeah, I should probably add mention of that in the OP. I guess there must not be a lot of mods that have underscores in their IDs.

• 3 months later...

I'm finally working toward doing Touring Carriages SE, and stopping to re-build my other small patches along the way.

For Delphine, it did a facegen, even though all I did was fix her dialogue stages and have her pass Orgnar's ref to the rentroom script. Do I need that in the .bsa anyway? (Didn't have them in oldrim, with no problem.)

Is there a step by step guide to pushing things out to this new Bethesda.net? Steam was so easy.

And boy oh boy are there a lot of warnings in the new CK! Has reams of things like:

MODELS: Failed to load Data\Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Tamriel.32.-96.96.BTR, Request result is 1

PERFORMANCE: Queued ref 'RockCliff05Snow' (0005C0B9) of type STAT took 35.74 ms to PostProcess.  This may cause a hitch in segment 'UNKNOWN'.

Are these an issue with my setup? I've only added the CreationKitCustom.ini lines recommended in the OP.

As long as you haven't done any edits to her facegen data you don't need to include that. The SSE CK is a bit overzealous in what it generates. It won't hurt anything if you do include it though.

To upload to Bethesda.net you need an account with them first, then you have to link that account to Steam before it will enable using the upload options in the CK. There's a post somewhere on their forums for it but I don't have the link handy.

I finally finished converting Touring Carriages. I uploaded to nexus, no problems. Then I tried following the instructions in the faq.

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/368/skyrim-se-launch-faq

When I "Click File again and select Upload Plugin and Archives to Bethesda.net. " the CK crashes. Tried twice. Anybody else having this problem? Suggested solutions?

You have to let the CK package the mod itself. Preexisting archives can't be used. Something they changed with the last CK update and obviously never changed the FAQ.

[heavy sigh] Thanks. Tried that today. Slightly different, now it's "not responding" instead of crashing outright, and then Windows kills it. Tried removing and reinstalling the CK. No joy.

Just to be sure:

1. Setting it as Active; it loads, no unusual errors (that is, just the usual errors).
  2. Login to Bethesda.Net
  3. Create Archive (again)
  4. Upload, has little tab says PC (as opposed to the other 2)
  5. Hang.

What does "Save and push plugin to PC" do?

I've never used that button so I have no idea.

You can't have an existing BSA of any sort for the mod before you try and upload. It will search for it and either hang indefinitely or CTD outright. Fortunately you can at least make the CK export a list of filenames after you've spent the time dragging everything into the packager that you need.

The external archive.exe tool is of no value anymore for SSE unless you don't ever plan to upload to Bethesda.net.

Thank you very much. Took a few more tries (spurious warning about too many background processes, also hanging). Delete the .bsa, ignore the Create BSA menu item. On Upload, it makes the archive itself. Now I know to push to Bethesda first, then 7zip it and push to nexus.

Since this is not obvious, perhaps it is worthy of OP?

How do we push a script-only no .esp archive? Or do I have to make a scratch .esp?

You have to include an empty esp to be able to upload something that's only an asset in the archive.

SSE NIF Optimizer is now at v3

• Version 3.0.0

• - Added "Scan Textures" button to scan for compatibility with SSE. 
      - The following warnings currently exist: 
      1.) TGA texture files are not supported. 
      2.) Dimensions must be divisible by 4 (currently <width> x <height>). 
      3.) Uncompressed cubemaps require an alpha channel, use ARGB8 or DXT1/BC1. 
      4.) Several warnings for unsupported uncompressed formats. 
      - Further fixed handling of NIF files without a root node. 
      - Ignore empty vertex weights (factor 0.0) in NiSkinData. 
      - Allow overflowing header string index to prevent losing strings.
  • Version 2.9.2

• - Calculating new geometry bounds for skinned meshes is now optional. 
      - Now removes invalid triangles that point to non-existent vertices. 
      - Fixed handling for root nodes that aren't at block index 0. 
      - Now fixes faulty "Has Vertex Weights" boolean values in NiSkinData. 
      - Files with names that have UTF-16 encoded characters can now be loaded and saved.

• 1 month later...

Is it standard practice to push the PC version to Xbox? Or is there special work involved?

I've had many requests for Xbox version of Touring Carriages. I don't own the Xbox, but my brother does, so arguably we could buy a Skyrim to test.

I've also had 1 request for a VR version. No idea what that would entail....

PC versions of mods should be fine on XB1 so long as they don't require SKSE to function. Bethesda has assured that the data files between PC, XB1, and PS4 are all identical so there should be no discrepancies.

VR is an entirely different scenario. The code branch for that was cut from an old copy of SSE over a year ago before they began updating it to support the Creation Club. The master files also have numerous differences in them, as well as a number of meshes and scripts which have been altered. So current SSE mods are not going to work properly regardless of claims made in the VR community. Plus Bethesda has no plans to enable mod support there and there's no CK available that's compatible with it. Porting to VR would be a blind guessing game at best.

On 4/29/2018 at 3:04 PM, Arthmoor said:

Porting to VR would be a blind guessing game at best.

Apparently, folks are doing it for themselves. I've got more reports so far now (on the nexus SE variant) that getting off the carriage causes the screen to spin wildly. As I'm using the vanilla animation file, BS must have done something different for the VR opening sequence.

I've long adopted the policy: no US*P, no carriage support. BS is stabbing itself in the foot again without US*P. Who in the world would want to play without it?!?!

Considering there's something like 2800 mesh edits in the VR files when compared to SSE I'd not be at all surprised if anims were edited too. People just don't grasp how drastically that can change things.

A bunch of those morons are actually trying to use USSEP without regard for the damage it may be doing to their games despite numerous attempts to explain to them that the data files do not match so the mod is editing blind data.

I've updated the OP in an effort to provide further details and clarify the process further now that we all know more about what needs to be done. Hopefully it's in much better shape than before.

• 1 year later...

1. How to properly save mods in the CK 64 when porting?

a) Active > Save

b) Active > Change something from plugin (ex: add "1" to book's name) > Save > Revert change (remove "1") > Save

Asking because the result of these methods is different files (by hash and by size) while in xEdit both files are identical. It sounds dangerous, considering that different guides tend to have either first or second method and, as a result, we have a lot of ported mods created in different ways.

2. Should facegen files autogenerated by CK 64 on save be used with ported mod, if original LE mod had no facegen files (and was working nice, without black-face and stuff)?

For example, mods which doesn't touch appearance of vanilla NPCs. Or mods like SWIFT (Oldrim) which has bunch of new non-templated NPC and had no facegen files and still worked like a charm, without any face-related problems (while ported SWIFT have facegen for those NPCs for whatever reason).

Ingame testing results in no black-face bug without facegen (if original mod doesn't had those). Can there be another possible outcome?

All you have to do is make sure the .esp you're porting over is active. Once it's done loading, without doing anything else, click save. Then exit the CK.

Do keep in mine you'll still need to poke around in xEdit to make sure the water data from Update.esm is carried over, and it may still be necessary to do additional work on the mod after it's been ported to make sure it's not conflicting with any of the new vegetation that was added.

The 1b method you're listing will generate unnecessary ITMs in the process which is something you don't want.

If the mod you're porting doesn't require facegen then you can throw out whatever facegen files are autogenerated by the CK.

I don't know how SWIFT supposedly got away without generating it, but it definitely needs it if they've created all new NPCs of their own. Facegen is required regardless, and in that case you definitely will need to keep it. SSE does not tolerate its absence. Though you will probably want to throw out the autogenerated files and go back into the CK to generate new ones manually for the NPCs that need it so that you're only distributing those files you absolutely need with the port.

• 3 weeks later...

What Arthmoor said, it's important to check if the mod is version 44 and not version 43.  However, someone reported that on Nexus and after I checked I updated my mod.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:07 PM, Arthmoor said:

All you have to do is make sure the .esp you're porting over is active. Once it's done loading, without doing anything else, click save. Then exit the CK.

Do keep in mine you'll still need to poke around in xEdit to make sure the water data from Update.esm is carried over, and it may still be necessary to do additional work on the mod after it's been ported to make sure it's not conflicting with any of the new vegetation that was added.

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2020 at 9:50 PM, Leonardo said:

What Arthmoor said, it's important to check if the mod is version 44 and not version 43.  However, someone reported that on Nexus and after I checked I updated my mod.

After CAO CathedralAssets Optimizer realized a new 64 bit version with essential changes to former versions, I wrote a 23 page PAF manual how to convert and optimize a mod fine. Also it covers the new Whitelist made by G_k  for use of BSAs as result of our research and tests.

How to convert-2.0 2021-05-27.pdf

• 2 years later...