[Skyrim SE] Porting a mod from LE to SSE

Arthmoor

So I manage to re-create the BSA with the Archive.exe tool, but when I loaded the esp into the CK 2 to save the esp I got an error about "MaleHead.nif : MaleHeadIMF is missing a facegen tint map".

Is this error harmless or do I need to correct it and how do I correct it in the CK 2?

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just loading up Skyrim itself is going to throw a pile of errors your way that mean nothing.

Thanks for the information.

Althoguh, there is another thing I need to know about and what I mean is the FaceGen thing in CK when converting a mod for SSE.

According to this tutorial I need to export the FaceGen in the CK before I start to convert a mod for SSE.  Correct?

Facegen should automatically update when you save the file in the new CK. You should not need to manually export that data unless the CK doesn't update it for some reason.

And how do I know the CK hasn't updated the FaceGen properly, unless I get a message saying that an error occur during updating of the FaceGen data.

One thing to find out is to test a converted mod in-game and see if I got the grey face bug or not, perhaps I also got another issue.

18 hours ago, Leonardo said:

And how do I know the CK hasn't updated the FaceGen properly, unless I get a message saying that an error occur during updating of the FaceGen data.

One thing to find out is to test a converted mod in-game and see if I got the grey face bug or not, perhaps I also got another issue.

In addition to what Arthmoor said, what I do is this when I export facegen. I'm presuming you use Wrye Bash.

With WB running, go to the Installers tab and right click at the top of any header and enable "Monitor External Installation".

Then go to the CK, do what you need to do, then export your FaceGen.

When you are done with the CK, go back to Wrye Bash and click OK to end the monitoring. You will be presented with a list of all of the files that were exported by the CK during that session.  Then you can go through to verify all of the facegen data.

Adding to that, the CK will generate a bunch of .tga files. Throw those out. The game will not read them and they do nothing but waste space.

I just took a closer look at the mod files and it seems, from my understanding, that Antiscamp may already have exported the FaceGen, because there a bunch of .tga files.

Which has exactly the same file name, except for the file extension, of each .dds files.  So deleting those .tga files and should be enough or have I missed something.

SSE NIF Optimiser is now at v2.9.1 - Sounds like an important update anyone who has previously used it ought to have a revisit ..

Version 2.9.1

- Fixed writing of breakable and malleable constraints. Please re-optimize NIFs using "bhkMalleableConstraint" and "bhkBreakableConstraint" in case they cause crashes.

I've been reading through this thread, and haven't been able to find an answer.  When I save the .esp, it gives me that missing facegeon tint error.  It creates a new meshes and textures folder, containing new .dds files.  The original mod never came with those files.  Do I need to include those in the new archive .bsa?

Does the original mod create new NPCs or alter facial features on existing ones? If so, you need those facegen files and the original author was negligent in not including them to begin with.

I have the same problem as cinnacon, but in my case the original mod did have the facegen files since the mod also had both .dds and .tga file with exactly the same file name (all of them is just numbers).

ModFiles_CampArgentum.thumb.jpg.e5da6156281ee7e60a46c8f5eea7caae.jpg

The .nif files has the same file name as the .dds files and the CampVargyla mod has the same file structure inside of a BSA.  Only the number of NPC's are different between these two mods and of course the name of the mod.

I'm pretty sure it did not alter any faces, which is why I was confused when getting the error messages, and seeing the new files it generated.  It's just a perk overhaul mod

If it's not altering NPCs at all then ignore the facegen files. You can delete them to save space, but be aware the CK is aggressive about these things and will continue to regenerate them each time the mod is saved. You'll know if you actually need them though because NPCs will show up with black heads if the files are missing and the game thinks they're needed.

14 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

If it's not altering NPCs at all then ignore the facegen files. You can delete them to save space, but be aware the CK is aggressive about these things and will continue to regenerate them each time the mod is saved. You'll know if you actually need them though because NPCs will show up with black heads if the files are missing and the game thinks they're needed.

Does that only applies for vanilla NPC and/or can I also ignore those FaceGen data shown in the picture?

If your mod alters appearance data in any way, you need the facegen files. It doesn't matter if they're vanilla NPCs or not.

So, if I understood you correctly, "a mod that alters appearence data in any way" in my case is the same as adding new NPC's to vanilla regardless if it's a quest or not.  Correct?

• 1 month later...

Unexpected trouble occurred after converting "Molag Bals Inferno" to SSE. Game began to do "clear" save-files in several Infernos locations (3 of 7 worldspaces & several cells), like if I play without any mods.

What I tried (nothing helped):

Spoiler

- skse64 off/on
- convert esm to esp
- used oldrim version
- changed "Record Flags" & "Data Flags" in SSEEdit
- also changed in SSEEdit: Location, Parent, Climate, Water, Music
- used SSEEdit-script "Skyrim SE - Generate Large References"
- made it master & slave to other mod

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

1 hour ago, mrPron said:

Unexpected trouble occurred after converting "Molag Bals Inferno" to SSE. Game began to do "clear" save-files in several Infernos locations (3 of 7 worldspaces & several cells), like if I play without any mods.

What I tried (nothing helped):

Hide contents

- skse64 off/on
- convert esm to esp
- used oldrim version
- changed "Record Flags" & "Data Flags" in SSEEdit
- also changed in SSEEdit: Location, Parent, Climate, Water, Music
- used SSEEdit-script "Skyrim SE - Generate Large References"
- made it master & slave to other mod

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Your cell names and world-names likely have underscores in them "_" using ssedit go in and remove all underscore from the editor id names. This was found to be a issue shortly after release and AFAIK was never fixed as it is a engine based issue. It caused the exact issue you are relating too.

I don't remember this about underscores, but this mod is full of them in cell and worldspace IDs. If this is the case for why it's not working when ported, then it should be added to the documentation for that, along with a reference to where it was originally discussed. And yes, I would not be surprised if I was in that discussion originally :P

Just now, Kelsenellenelvian said:

Your cell names and world-names likely have underscores in them "_" using ssedit go in and remove all underscore from the editor id names. This was found to be a issue shortly after release and AFAIK was never fixed as it is a engine based issue. It caused the exact issue you are relating too.

Damn it! You just saved my mind. Thanks.

Just now, Arthmoor said:

If this is the case for why it's not working when ported...

Yep, now saves works properly.

• Like 1

I remember finding out about it just after SSE release on the Grey cowl of nocturnal discussion thread over at nexus. This was a year ago but there was a couple of mods back then that I read about having the issue. It was ones that were all adding new worldspaces. I think Falskaar had it also.