[Skyrim SE] Porting a mod from LE to SSE

Arthmoor

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering in regard to audio esp based mods from oldrim with loose audio files, do I need to load and save the esp in the se ck or don't i need to bother?

I was wondering in regard to audio esp based mods from oldrim with loose audio files, do I need to load and save the esp in the se ck or don't i need to bother?

Yes. You should resave in the new CK to update the form version for the records. It may not actually change anything right now but who knows if Bethesda will change something that causes it to break.

I know that my question may seems ... noobs... but I hope in some good souls which teach me :)

I'm trying to convert "Dude wheres my pants - Leather Armor by Nivea" for SSE:

By following the Arthmoor instruction I was able, to port the mesh and made it working, but sometime, some vertex get crazy and jumpy around.

Also now the added pants are missing the texture.

I just followed the instrunction and when I do 

Spells -> Batch -> Make All Skin Partitions. On the pop-up menu that appears, set "Number of Bones per Partition" to 60 and click OK.

what happen is this: http://imgur.com/a/cm3tT

Then the second step:

Spells -> Batch -> Update All Tangent Spaces.

which looks fine, and Nifskope didn't pop any messages.

Also the save is fine.

I've also made a check for texture and in Nifsokpe the path is:

textures\clothes\redguard\RedguardClothesDB.dds
textures\clothes\redguard\RedguardClothes_n.dds

Do I miss something?

Thank you in advice.

Do I miss something?

Thank you in advice.

Try this SSE NIF Optimizer

@Arthmoor

Maybe add link to SSE NIF Optimizer in "Meshes" section would be a good idea.

• Like 2

For the life of me I can no longer get the creation kit to load anything. I've un and re-installed so many times now. Just keeps crashing, will anyone work with me to get back up and running? It'd be greatly appreciated

Well I load mods in the ck with the usual stupid meaningless error messages, save it, get a warnings box with 11 in close it, go to save get message that malehead.nif : MaleHeadIMF is missing a facegen tint map which i click yes to all as well, then the stupid warnings box pops up again repeating over and over pointer value cannot be cast as numericid : size bust BSUINT32 so clear and save (otherwise i just have to keep hitting escape for each stupid box) then on exit every time ck 2.0 stopped working. I am assuming that my esp did save? 

On 1/10/2017 at 9:00 PM, InsanePlumber said:

Try this SSE NIF Optimizer

@Arthmoor

Maybe add link to SSE NIF Optimizer in "Meshes" section would be a good idea.

SSE NIF Optimiser has just been updated to v2.5

Version 2.5
- Fix for meshes that have vertex weights disabled in their NiSkinData ( some trees, maybe more ).

5 hours ago, EscondeR said:

Can't say for sure if the question fits this thread 100%, but... Can anyone confirm that SSE has the same 255 esm/esp "slot" limit?

256 really, slot zero counts as the first, add 255 = 256.

Open spoiler for more info ..

00 (hexadecimal) which is slot 0 taken by the game Skyrim.esm

01 taken by Update.esm

02 Dawnguard.esm

03 Hearthfires.esm

04 Dragonborn.esm

FF is slot 255 taken by your in play save game. ( Type ff here and convert )

Counting 05 through FE ( FE being the last mod slot before the save game allocation ) you have 250 slots free for mods esm / esp

You may have noticed LOOT and Wrye Bash use the same Hexadecimal Load Order numbering

large_00.png.92d1242fc5ce6ba1bc802351096

And here's Wrye Bash giving me an error trying to activate one plugin too many

large_01.png.77bd6639cd2ed0558cff894d3bb

Reposted from BSF

Just wanted to share this for PC players.

The first time I played Dawnguard, I chose vampires' side and it kinda happened unintentionally, I didn't want it, but just happened so I just followed the story, I didn't have an earlier save and I was stuck with the decison. As in Skyrim special edition, all dlc's are built in and you can not disable them from in game menu. 

However, you can disable them manually, very easily.

1-Save your game and quit.

2-Go to your game directory, (where your game is installed, obviously)

Go to Skyrim Special Edition/Data, find the file Dawnguard.esm and just rename it. (something like xxxdawnguard.esm) or however you like. Just make sure you don't lose the actual file name.

3-Start your game, load the game you just saved before changing the file, you will realize you no longer have anything related to dawnguard anymore. It worked! yay!

4-Save again and quit again.

5-Go back to your game directory and rename the dawnguard dlc properly, just the way it was originally. (Dawnguard.esm)

6-Start your game, load your last save, go to riften, talk to a guard and restart dawnguard questline from scratch.

This time make sure you choose dawnguards so you can get the awesome dwarven cross bow and a chance to get a husky as follower.

Yay!

• 3 months later...

Still waiting for SKS64 before playing, but was thinking about porting some of my plugins. Is best practice to use oldrim CK, and then port to newrim CK, or vice versa?

The new CK seems to have some new features, especially duplicating map markers building a path, which I did by hand a lot in the past.

Likewise for US*P patches. Should I keep making and submitted patches, especially navmesh patches, in the old CK? Or is the new one better?

EDIT: Personal note: thought I ought to mention that I've got 1700+ hours with CK and only 1200+ hours with game itself (almost all testing), and have never even entered Bleak Falls Barrow. Almost all my game time has been visiting towns and trying their local quests. Someday, I'm thinking of playing the game, probably once SKSE64 comes out. Built a new machine with 1080 (sadly just 3 weeks before 1080ti came out at the same price point) to play SE, as my old 570 wasn't able to do more than basic graphics for SE, where it had worked on Ultra for LE. So now I've spent upwards of $4,000 to eventually play a 5-year old $50 game....

If you're planning to do work that applies to both, you need to do it in the old CK and then port the files into the new one. You can't do it the other way around because the formats aren't backward compatible.

As far as your rig, hey, at least you can play Fallout 4 now too :P

• 2 months later...

One more thing, that can be potentially critical for quest/dialogue mods:

It appear the way TIF (topic info fragments) are processed or (and?) the way actor dialogue behave, have been slightly altered, at least for infos marked as goodbye "goodbye" . Here is an example:

Say that in your quest, you have an alias Alias_Smith, a scene involving Alias_Smith SceneWithSmith, and a dialogue said by smith. Essentially, Smith is supposed to have his dialogue, and at the end, start the scene. Something you could do in Oldrim:

1) At the end of the conversation with smith, in his goodbye info (flagged as goodbye), add GetOwningQuest().SetStage(10) (in the end fragment)

2) In Stage 10 fragment, Start your quest SceneWithSmith.Start() (or SceneWithSmith.ForceStart()), or kmyQuest.SceneWithSmith.Start() if you're implementing following proper standards.

In Oldrim: The scene always succeed to start, no issue.

In SSE: The scene fail to start, because at the moment when you're calling SceneWithSmith.Start(), Alias_Smith is considered to still be locked in dialogue with the player.

This is either because:
 - The dialogue system now wait for the TIF to return to "free" the actor from dialogue mode even if the info is marked as goodbye (while he was apparently freed at the very beginning of the goodbye info in Oldrim)
 - Or somehow the TIF did return in Oldrim without waiting for the stage fragment to return too (while it should have), but not anymore in SSE.
 - A scene can't start if one of its (non-optional) actor is in dialogue with the player in SSE, but can in Oldrim

Solution: Use RegisterForSingleUpdate() on your questscript, and start the scene in the Update event (with a while loop waiting for the actor to be out of dialogue), rather than directly in the TIF or the QF. A bit of overhead to ensure everything play as it should.

Note that in game, if you interrupt Smith' dialogue by quickly pressing E while he is saying his goodbye (forcing the dialogue menu to close, but allowing him to finish his line), then for both Oldrim and SSE, the scene will start properly (that's how I concluded that the problem was tied to the actor still being in dialogue or not).

That has actually been an issue the whole time. Any call to a script will need to be resolved by Papyrus before it returns control back to where it was called, and that's always included dialogue prompts as well. It's relatively easy to know when this happens because the NPC will hang in dialogue when they should be disengaging. I had several problems with this in an early version of LAL when setting up the various options. Mara would often get stuck because scripts were trying to process too much. I forget exactly what I had to do but the problem was eventually resolved by writing things a bit differently.

I've had no issue with doing a GetOwningQuest() call from a goodby TIF and SSE itself is loaded to the gills with situations where this is done and they don't break either. I would imagine it just becomes more noticeable with a scene because the signal to return may not come back until everything the first phase needs has been satisfied.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 10:08 PM, alt3rn1ty said:

SSE NIF Optimiser has just been updated to v2.5

Version 2.5
- Fix for meshes that have vertex weights disabled in their NiSkinData ( some trees, maybe more ).

Make that SSE NIF Optimiser 2.6

- Now processes terrain and LOD meshes (.btr and .bto files) as well. 
- Added option to remove parallax shader flags and textures from meshes (on by default). 
- Fixed reading NIFs with disabled constraint motors. 
- Fixed renaming of duplicate shapes not being aware of its parent node and siblings. 
- Removed checkbox for unused strings - they are now always removed. 
- Major refactor of the underlying code for handling NIF files.

Updated the OP to reflect where things stand currently. Not a lot has changed, but the mesh section now points people to using SSE Nif Optimizer instead of the manual steps in Nifskope.

I need help porting a mod from oldrim to the special edition I found a guide that says to open the oldrim mod by activating it in nexus mod manager then opening it in the new creation kit. it wont open because it requires more then one master file so creation kit tries to open all the master files and can't. help? 

On 8/1/2017 at 6:39 PM, alt3rn1ty said:

Make that SSE NIF Optimiser 2.6

- Now processes terrain and LOD meshes (.btr and .bto files) as well. 
- Added option to remove parallax shader flags and textures from meshes (on by default). 
- Fixed reading NIFs with disabled constraint motors. 
- Fixed renaming of duplicate shapes not being aware of its parent node and siblings. 
- Removed checkbox for unused strings - they are now always removed. 
- Major refactor of the underlying code for handling NIF files.

Make that SSE Nif Optimiser 2.7 - Fixes a regression in the previous version

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 12:34 PM, KhaozEatR said:

I need help porting a mod from oldrim to the special edition I found a guide that says to open the oldrim mod by activating it in nexus mod manager then opening it in the new creation kit. it wont open because it requires more then one master file so creation kit tries to open all the master files and can't. help? 

The CK's ini file has a setting to allow opening a mod with multiple masters. It defaults to off. The same was true with Oldrim, but most people changed that so long ago they've forgotten it.

It was something like bAllowMultipleMasterLoads and there is no line saying "=0" - it's just not there. You can copy the line over from SkyrimEditor.ini to CreationKit.ini.

It's always better to do those kinds of changes in CreationKitCustom.ini instead. That way when the CK updates you won't lose them and have to reapply them.