[Skyrim SE] Porting a mod from LE to SSE

Arthmoor

Those instructions were confusing cause of all the extra console related stuff. Anyway, it sounds like I had done most of it.

Took a stab in the dark and added the textures bsa to the sResourceArchiveList2= in Skyrim.ini This allowed it to load in game. I foresee complications arising if this is a necessary step for many mods. Maybe Bethesda has a way of dealing with it for console users, but PC users who can get mods from anywhere... it could end up being a nightmare.

The question is: What is the proper method to get the textures bsa to load in game?

It should be pretty simple. Your main bsa will be the same as your plug in ie mymod.esp and mymod.bsa. Then your textures bsa is "mymod - textures.bsa" with a space before and after the hyphen.

.....The question is:  What is the proper method to get the textures bsa to load in game?

- All files for mod must be as "loose files" in the "Data" folder (*.nif,*.dds ect...)

NIFs in Data\Meshes

DDS in Data\Textures

- Check whether the DDS have the correct format (more information you have in link from Hana)

- Load ESP in SSE CK

- if modification edits NPCs before creating BSA press Save to generate NIFs and DDS for them (later you need to add them to the list)

- From CK Menu select File -> Create Archive

- Check if all files from modifications are in list.

- Make BSA

If modification includes DDS SSE CK pop out with two confirmations for the creation of BSA

The first BSA name is same that ESP/ESM

Example:

MyMod.esp
MyMod.bsa

Second BSA name is same that ESP/ESM + " - Textures"

MyMod - Textures.bsa

Or...

Make a new BSA using SSE Archive.exe (Skyrim Special Edition\Tools\Archive\Archive.exe) if you know how.

As jostrus says. Fairly sure the step to add it to the ini is just to have it load in the CK to pack it up. After that you don't need it there any more.

It should be pretty simple. Your main bsa will be the same as your plug in ie mymod.esp and mymod.bsa. Then your textures bsa is "mymod - textures.bsa" with a space before and after the hyphen.

It was the spaces around the hyphen.  Nothing said that that was necessary.  Perhaps documentation that is out there should be adjusted to include that.

no , nothing works.

Oh, you tried that already. The error code is an E_ACCESSDENIED General access denied error so it's something to do with the permissions. The CK might be trying to reference routines in the flowchart.dll. Is the flowchart.dll file in another directory. Has that directory got shared permissions? Does your user id have admin permissions?

Try right clicking the dll and share the security permissions on it. All the quest files are in place- the fuz files are generated?

Try a sandbox quest with dialogue. Does it still crash?

Hi, i am getting a very weird issue when using Archive.exe to pack a mod, it seems that if i pack the files into a bsa some meshes stop rendering and some audio fx files never get played in game, this is weird because the same files work Perfectly fine placed as loose files... like... what the hell? the mod i´m trying to port over to SE for my personal use is this:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26017/?

It's driving me crazy... and i rather not have loose files because for modding purposes i get confused to which assets correspond to which mod, the meshes are working fine out of the box for SE, the problem appears just when i pack the files... no bsa no issues, its crazy!

Can anyone shed some light? 

Here you are.

"Skyrim Special Edition\Tools\Archive\Archive.exe"

pzWlROS.png

Not working... same thing... what the hell is going on? can someone repack Destructible Bottles v1.5 files and test it? the broken bottle audio is not working and the alto wine renders no broken glass mesh, but if you set the loose files everything works.

Hi, i am getting a very weird issue when using Archive.exe to pack a mod, it seems that if i pack the files into a bsa some meshes stop rendering and some audio fx files never get played in game, this is weird because the same files work Perfectly fine placed as loose files... like... what the hell? the mod i´m trying to port over to SE for my personal use is this:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26017/?

It's driving me crazy... and i rather not have loose files because for modding purposes i get confused to which assets correspond to which mod, the meshes are working fine out of the box for SE, the problem appears just when i pack the files... no bsa no issues, its crazy!

Can anyone shed some light?

I've heard that packing sound effects with compression doesn't work properly. Personally verified it myself for sfx. Had inconsistent results with audio for dialogue lines too. Sometimes it would work and sometimes not. packing uncompressed worked every time though.

Anything related to sounds should never be compressed. So if your mod contains for example 1GB of meshes and other stuff and only a single sound file, the whole archive must be uncompressed.

Is the separate textures bsa a special case, or can each category of file be stored in a separate archive, like the base game resources are? What will it find automatically, and what needs to be added to the ini file?

Quick question about mods with levelled list edits and scripts... can these be safely ported to Bethesda.NET yet or not?  (Thinking of BCS Lost Library)

The reason I am asking is that Lost Library required a check for the need for a Bashed Patch update once more than that one mod affected the merchants and loot lists that BCSLL touched. I don't know if there is such functionality on the BethNet yet.

In addition, since the mod contains a script, how does the BethNet Mod Loader handle scripted mods when a player uninstalls them? On the Nexus we have Script Cleaning tools for our saves. I am not aware of the same thing for BethNet (or XBox). There seems to be the "click and you get the mod, try it, click again and it goes away" thought process behind the design and use of BethNet which, for scripted mods, just won't work cleanly.

I don't want to put players in the position of blaming me for ongoing instability because they have tried and then removed a mod I made with a script in it.

.........I don't want to put players in the position of blaming me for ongoing instability because they have tried and then removed a mod I made with a script in it.

Write information for the users to backup save(s) before installation. (I have no idea how it works on consoles, I mean save backup)

Bethesda does Not Recommend uninstalling modification when you start a new game with them.

Apparently this is simply not understood by most people.

So why to worry about something that does not need to worry about?

If someone uninstalls modification(s) (modifications containing scripts, especially modifications with a large number of them) and will continue to play that's his problem.

And it is high time for people to understand that such thing as Clean Save does not exist.

hmm, I am all for 24/32bit uncompressed textures but I'm not sure where your recommendations for everyone to convert dxt1/5 to 8.8.8 / 8.8.8.8 is coming from ?... I can see no difference in the vanilla textures besides the time stamp.

Maybe they added the thousands of mipmaps that they left out heh.. that's about all they can have done though?... just going by file size (e.g. 2.66meg instead of 16meg) and the fact that no pixels have actually changed ;)

Extract their silly new bsa files somewhere then go to \Textures\Armor\DBArmor and load up dbarmor_female_torso.dds .. behold the mighty texture update of skyrim !

lol, it gets better.. \Textures\Armor\Thievesguild\M\thievesguildarmorglovesm_n.dds ... take a nice long look at those gloves in skyrim special edition.

I'm usually wrong but I guess maybe dx11 just hates silly textures that have few (if any) mipmaps, so bethesda had to run the textures through ddsopt / some proprietary tool. People reporting 8.8.8 / 8.8.8.8 reducing crashes are probably just getting the benefits of mipmaps being added in the conversion process.

16bpp compression formats are unsupported by DirectX 11.0 which is used by Windows 7. If you don't want to limit users of your mod to Windows8/10 only, you need to avoid such formats.

Nobody else is editing custom dialogues or its working for you?

Hi, what do you mean? My Gray Cowl of Nocturnal and even The Notice Board are working fine with SSE.

Just make sure that if you're using Start-Game-Enabled quest to make SEQ file with SSEEedit, even if it already exists because you're porting from standard Skyrim.

Is the separate textures bsa a special case, or can each category of file be stored in a separate archive, like the base game resources are? What will it find automatically, and what needs to be added to the ini file?

I think they're using " - textures" file because of XB1 texture format. The CK automatically separate files and convert them if you upload for XB1

.. recommendations for everyone to convert dxt1/5 to 8.8.8 / 8.8.8.8 is coming from ?

Ehm, I think you read that wrong from somewhere, but the note on textures in the first post ..

Textures originally saved in either the A1R5G5B5 format or the B5G6R5 format must be resaved in A8R8G8B8, R8G8B8, or an equivalent compressed format like DXT5 or DXT1

.. Zilav has just explained

Hi, what do you mean? My Gray Cowl of Nocturnal and even The Notice Board are working fine with SSE.

Just make sure that if you're using Start-Game-Enabled quest to make SEQ file with SSEEedit, even if it already exists because you're porting from standard Skyrim.

I do not mean if are working , my conan mod too works, but I mean if you do new dialogues with branches and all or if you go editing thme if it crashes, this is happening to all the onesI haerd working on new dialogues .

https://beta-community.bethesda.net/topic/6552/bug-ck-always-crashing-on-dialogue-editing

I saw somewhere that it was the dialog diagram tool that had issues. It should still be possible to edit the dialog via the PlayerDialog tab, and adding the links there. You can't see the diagram, but I didn't find that much help, once there were enough links to get tangled.

I've heard that packing sound effects with compression doesn't work properly. Personally verified it myself for sfx. Had inconsistent results with audio for dialogue lines too. Sometimes it would work and sometimes not. packing uncompressed worked every time though.

It's not working even if i pack it as uncompressed, i remember having this issue with my race mod and some voice audio files where they game would crash every time i swing a sword and the engine picked any of the custom sound files i made, so i packed it uncompressed and it worked. This is different since it is not working if it's inside a bsa, some meshes appear invisible while others appear fine, but the breaking glass sound files just do not work, but everything works fine as loose files... ??????

I could just use the Destructible Bottles mod as loose files, but it get´s on my nerves having to remove their files when i´m working on my own stuff.

Hmm.. I think I did miss-read, woops :)... for some reason I thought A1R5G5B5 was just the bit depth of dxt5, lol.. sigh

I do still find it odd that 8.8.8 / 8.8.8.8 are the first recommended formats though, without editing to give the texture more color depth the increased color depth (and size of the texture) is wasted for nowt ? But I suppose mod authors would notice that at some point along the way hehe.. nvm, just gonna go hide my head in shame ;)

Arthmoor, first I'd like to thank you for all your great mods and dedication, second I suggest a small correction to the following method:

This one is valid ONLY if you have Strips in NiSkinPartition. But there may be a harder case (if one wants to check this, I recommend to pay attention to Elven dresses by Naihaan - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/39922/ ) when NIFs contain NiTriStrip sections. In that case the above mentioned method won't help, importing/exporting to/from Outfit Studio won't either (with all respect to the authors). One must follow this path instead:

1. Open the "corrupt" meshes in updated NifSkope.

2. Use Spells > Batch > Triangulate all Strips

Then follow the above mentioned method, i.e.:

3. Use Spells > Batch > Make All Skin Partitions. On the pop-up menu that appears, set "Number of Bones per Partition" to 60 and click OK.

4. Use Spells -> Batch -> Update All Tangent Spaces.

5. Resave corrected meshes.

Optimization can be done between steps 1 and 2 as well (actually between any steps before 5th :) ): bogus nodes removal, etc.

P.S.: Actually I've registered to provide that and hope this helps in someones hard work fixing loads of NIFs :)

P.P.S.: Oh, and don't forget to remove "Auto sanitize before saving" flag in NifSkope - the results may be unpredictable.

This trick just made my day! I was having a hard time porting DQ3SageOutfit into SE, i tried the trick Arthmoor suggested in the first post but it was just not doing the job, good thing i took notice of "EscondeR" comment back a couple of weeks ago, so i decided to give it a shot... it took me more time reading all the pages to find this comment than to actually fixing the meshes i was working on. I suggest that Arthmoor updates the main post with this info just in case someone else has this exact issue with NiTriStrip Sections.