[Skyrim SE] Porting a mod from LE to SSE

Arthmoor

Thats what I did but I dunno how to add or dragging water from what where and how .

I never used xedit sorry.

Initially i was clueless just like you since I also never used it before, It took me like 10 minutes to figure out what Arthmoor said regarding checking Worldspace and fix the Water in SSEEdit manually. After loading my mod and i noticed my mod loaded just after Skyrim.esm and Update.esm on the left side of the window, i noticed i could expand my mod completely and that's where i saw the Worldspace section right in the bottom. After expanding this i could see it had many many cells, so i guess those were all my mod hand placed spawnpoints and actors. There will be some Cells in RED... and i though: is this supposed to be like this? then i noticed others that were in green, so by expanding the cells that were on red and selecting it, you will see that there are some records but divided in 3 each of them calls for Skyrim.esm, Update.esm and your mod at last.

Take a close look and you will see a record called "XCLW Water Height" and almost at the bottom a record called "XCWT Water", make sure your mod exactly matches those records of Update.esm, it will most likely appear in red since SSEEdit knows it will conflict and will mark it giving you some lead. You need to Right Click either XCLW or XCWT of Update.esm, it will allow you to edit, just copy and click XCLW or XCWT and then go to the section of Your MOD and paste it according to what Udate.esm says, if there is no record in your mod just add it by double clicking.

In my case i only needed to edit "XCWT - Water" in all my cells, since "XCLW - Water Height" records were correct in my mod, your results may vary? i guess.

This is basically what i did, i also don't understand the drag and drop step Arthmoor also recommended... just do it the way i did, it's a bit tedious since you need to do this to every single Cell in Worldspace section that is marked as Red, luckily for me there were only like 30 of them and took me like 10 minutes to fix, my mod is now free of nasty water flow.

make sure your mod exactly matches those records of Update.esm

Actually you need to load Update.esm and all DLCs and make sure that none of changes are reverted in any of records unless intentional by your mod. Unlike original Skyrim they are hardcoded to always load no matter what.

Can someone explain in Retard (Step By Step) terms how to update Animations with the tool provided by Bethesda? Someone uploaded a Batch file but i have no idea how to use this tool to update all my animations replacer set.

Arthmoor, first I'd like to thank you for all your great mods and dedication, second I suggest a small correction to the following method:

Skinned Meshes (Armor, Clothing, Body, etc)

If you have these and the NiSkinPartitions blocks are using Strips instead of Triangles (I'm going to presume those of you doing these know what this means) then you need to grab an updated copy of Nifskope to fix this. When you verify that it needs fixing, do the following in Nifskope:

Spells -> Batch -> Make All Skin Partitions. On the pop-up menu that appears, set "Number of Bones per Partition" to 60 and click OK.

Once that's done, go to:

Spells -> Batch -> Update All Tangent Spaces.

You can then save the mesh and it should work. I've personally tried this on the old Friendly Guard Helmets mod and it corrected the issues with that without any apparent in-game problems. If I can figure this out, you gurus who make this stuff can too :P

All credit to ousnius for this information. According to him, you could also fix this by importing the mesh into Outfit Studio and then immediately exporting it.

This one is valid ONLY if you have Strips in NiSkinPartition. But there may be a harder case (if one wants to check this, I recommend to pay attention to Elven dresses by Naihaan - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/39922/ ) when NIFs contain NiTriStrip sections. In that case the above mentioned method won't help, importing/exporting to/from Outfit Studio won't either (with all respect to the authors). One must follow this path instead:

1. Open the "corrupt" meshes in updated NifSkope.

2. Use Spells > Batch > Triangulate all Strips

Then follow the above mentioned method, i.e.:

3. Use Spells > Batch > Make All Skin Partitions. On the pop-up menu that appears, set "Number of Bones per Partition" to 60 and click OK.

4. Use Spells -> Batch -> Update All Tangent Spaces.

5. Resave corrected meshes.

Optimization can be done between steps 1 and 2 as well (actually between any steps before 5th :) ): bogus nodes removal, etc.

P.S.: Actually I've registered to provide that and hope this helps in someones hard work fixing loads of NIFs :)

P.P.S.: Oh, and don't forget to remove "Auto sanitize before saving" flag in NifSkope - the results may be unpredictable.

Arthmoor and others! I'm getting countless reports from XB1 users that any .nif with orange helper Blocks are *actually* rendering in-game on XB1! Users report the Unofficial Patch has this issue as does SMIM. For example, the carriages in SMIM and the chain pull levers in SMIM both display the stupid bright orange helper NPCs in-game!! Can anyone else confirm who owns an XB1?

I'm thinking there hopefully is an easy fix...are those helpers even needed in the .nif? Do they actually control the function in-game? Can we simply change them to render invisible (not sure the best way for that) in the .nif file!?

Help is greatly appreciated because the XB1 users (who seem to be WAY, WAY more populated than PC users on B.Net) are freaking out and asking for a fix.

EDIT: zilav, it might be really handy to add an optional check in NifScan to find any meshes with Blocks named "EditorMarker", which I believe Bethesda used consistently for almost all markers in .nif files maybe.

TRYING TO FIND SOLUTION: I've noticed the BSShaderProperty and NiAlphaProperty are both identical between the original and SE meshes. I have noticed though that the NiTriShapeData has UV_Sets and Tangents Vector Flags...we determined previously that one could make a mesh render invisible in SE by removing Tangents...this could be a trick to solve the issue. Or maybe by removing UV_Sets and Tangents and Vertex Colors and the SLSF2 Vertex Colors Flag...maybe that would render invisible?

We are aware of the lumber mill one. Since none of us has access to a console for direct testing we're going to be left to assume that the crude hack fix I did on that is going to work.

What I did was simply find the node we changed, remove it from the SSE vanilla mesh, and place our updated block where the removed one should be. The game doesn't seem to care on PC and this method fixed the Grindstone green flap thing we had.

Editor markers should not be rendering at all though. That's what the orange box is, and you need it when working with the object in the CK so you know where the interaction point is for the player and NPCs.

As you can imagine I'm not keen on packaging an entire update on the hope that a single file fix ends up working :P

We are aware of the lumber mill one. Since none of us has access to a console for direct testing we're going to be left to assume that the crude hack fix I did on that is going to work.

What I did was simply find the node we changed, remove it from the SSE vanilla mesh, and place our updated block where the removed one should be. The game doesn't seem to care on PC and this method fixed the Grindstone green flap thing we had.

Editor markers should not be rendering at all though. That's what the orange box is, and you need it when working with the object in the CK so you know where the interaction point is for the player and NPCs.

As you can imagine I'm not keen on packaging an entire update on the hope that a single file fix ends up working :P

Oh, shoot. So it is more than just EditorMarker then since the Grindstone doesn't have any. I see you're getting other issues like this spell with green rectangles. You say you found a fix, what did you have to do? Same as above? I didn't quite understand...lol.

About the Orange Editor Marker NiTriShape blocks. Yes, it seems ANY old .nif format meshes used in SE do render in-game only on the XB1 because INSANITY. I think I have a really easy fix. All EditorMarker blocks ALWAYS have a Vertex Alpha SLSF2 flag with semi-transparent orange vertex colors. Hopefully it would fix it to just change the Vertex Alpha values to 00, making it fully transparent. I think this will work because the XB1 version is reading the transparency since users reported orange "ghosts".

So...change Vertex Color alphas to 00 would take ages by hand, and importing into 3DSMax and Exporting 00 alphas would also be quite annoying. zilav, is it possible to write a modified NifModify to find all EditorMarker NiTriShape blocks and then edit the NiTriShapeData Vertex Colors to be 00 alpha, either #FFFFFF00 or #00000000 or the existing orange #FF660000. And then if there was another option to scan those .nifs and revert the Vertex Colors to the translucent orange #FF66007F...that would make it easy if you needed to load them up in the CK again for whatever reason.

Did we arrive at a consensus on Book/Tome vs Note/Scroll for Notes in mods?

I assume Note/Tome was removed when a mod passes through the CK because nothing in the in-game UI uses it but the game itself doesn't seem to complain. I'd like to know which way to go before I release the next BCS update as I am supporting eight languages and there are several hundred Notes in there.

I'm having an issue with updating a single weapon to Skyrim's SE personally. Got the following messages (about 4 times each):
MODELS: (null) : (null) has no tangentspace and is not using modelspace normals and will not render.
MODELS: BASE (model) : (name-here) has no tangentspace and is not using modelspace normals and will not render.

I am not entirely sure what is going on. I already did the above mentioned method, and still am only getting an invisible model. I am not sure what "tangentspace" is nor how to add it to the model, which seems to be the problem with the model.

Nvm. Figured it out. I feel slightly stupid for not noticing the "Add Tangent Space"

Zilav and Brumbek:

I was looking over the meshes in "Immersive Jewelry" to update for SSE and I'm seeing a problem in two types of meshes:

First, the jewel meshes that involve transparency no longer do when loaded through the new Creation Kit. Depending on how the designer made them, either they will be empty bezels or concave jewels with no outer layer. This is the case for meshes from Saerileth's Gemling Queen as well as Severus' Collection.

Second, any mesh with animated textures, like those from Lautasantenni's "Expanded Jewelry Collection", just go nuts. A completely different nitrishape on the mesh than is supposed to be animated is animated, etc.

I saw Brumbek mention something about alpha and transparency on meshes in this thread when I was looking at it last night. I just wanted to ask if the solutions that have been posted through applying nifscan would likely resolve the above issues with meshes if done by hand. Then, since there are just so many meshes in Immersive Jewelry, I was wondering if the upcoming conversion tool that Zilav mentioned would address those issues easily in a big batch...

Oh, shoot. So it is more than just EditorMarker then since the Grindstone doesn't have any. I see you're getting other issues like this spell with green rectangles. You say you found a fix, what did you have to do? Same as above? I didn't quite understand...lol.

About the Orange Editor Marker NiTriShape blocks. Yes, it seems ANY old .nif format meshes used in SE do render in-game only on the XB1 because INSANITY. I think I have a really easy fix. All EditorMarker blocks ALWAYS have a Vertex Alpha SLSF2 flag with semi-transparent orange vertex colors. Hopefully it would fix it to just change the Vertex Alpha values to 00, making it fully transparent. I think this will work because the XB1 version is reading the transparency since users reported orange "ghosts".

So...change Vertex Color alphas to 00 would take ages by hand, and importing into 3DSMax and Exporting 00 alphas would also be quite annoying. zilav, is it possible to write a modified NifModify to find all EditorMarker NiTriShape blocks and then edit the NiTriShapeData Vertex Colors to be 00 alpha, either #FFFFFF00 or #00000000 or the existing orange #FF660000. And then if there was another option to scan those .nifs and revert the Vertex Colors to the translucent orange #FF66007F...that would make it easy if you needed to load them up in the CK again for whatever reason.

No offense (I love you, I really do), but this seems like an extreme measure and not addressing what the actual issue is.

TRYING TO FIND SOLUTION: I've noticed the BSShaderProperty and NiAlphaProperty are both identical between the original and SE meshes. I have noticed though that the NiTriShapeData has UV_Sets and Tangents Vector Flags...we determined previously that one could make a mesh render invisible in SE by removing Tangents...this could be a trick to solve the issue. Or maybe by removing UV_Sets and Tangents and Vertex Colors and the SLSF2 Vertex Colors Flag...maybe that would render invisible?

This seems more on track of finding what's causing the issue and dealing with it properly. We know vanilla SSE meshes work, we know modified old Skyrim meshes do not work. Do we know if old vanilla Skyrim meshes work that haven't been modified? (I know, not easy to test if its on XB1 with the issue). Then find the differences.

I do find these render issues odd. There should be no difference. Of course there's always the possibility whatever the saving for XB1 conversion method does is causing this. Part of the reason I feel it shouldn't be a panic fix by PCers.

The case with the green thingy I simply fixed by taking the new SSE mesh and removing the same stray segment we did from the old Classic mesh. Problem solved. Nothing fancy, cause I couldn't fix something requiring surgery in Blender or Max.

I don't think screwing with editor markers like that is warranted. Let's hold off on that until we update USSEP again to get a feel for the attempt I made on the lumber mill mesh. Could just be as simple as reapplying fixes to the SSE meshes. Or waiting on zilav's tool to get done.

Did we arrive at a consensus on Book/Tome vs Note/Scroll for Notes in mods?

I assume Note/Tome was removed when a mod passes through the CK because nothing in the in-game UI uses it but the game itself doesn't seem to complain. I'd like to know which way to go before I release the next BCS update as I am supporting eight languages and there are several hundred Notes in there.

The UI element to set Book/Note was removed from the old CK a long time ago. Nobody knows why, but Classic Skyrim still accepted it and SkyUI would take advantage of that.

Now you can't save a mod with books without the SSE CK updating them to form version 44 and reverting all the Note flags back to Book flags. So we gave up trying with the USSEP since there's no way to preserve them. As you say, the vanilla UI doesn't care anwyay and a SkyUI for SSE will just have to live with notes that have book icons.

Ok, been trying to load my skyrim mod into the SE CK to do the conversion, but every time I attempt to save, the CK gives the standard something is wrong message and shuts down.  I can load cells, and look around, even do edits, but can't save.  I have all my masters loaded with the esp.  I initially attempted this with all my files loosely loaded in Data directory, then tried just with the esp, but it won't save.  I do have a mymod.tes file under my esp in the Data folder.

I didn't see this discussed here in this topic, or anywhere else, so any advice, guidance is appreciated.  Thanks.

I don't think screwing with editor markers like that is warranted.

For the XB1 SMIM package I've simply deleted the entire EditorMarker Block because WHO's GOING TO STOP ME?! ;)

The markers aren't needed for any of the meshes I edit since I don't ever plan to move them in the CK.

Just for reference, I had players test two solutions, both didn't work. 1) Changing the NiTriShape flag to mark hidden. 2) Removing Vector Flags, UV_Sets and Tangent.

EDIT: well WHAT THE?! So I deleted the entire EditorMarker Block...and XB1 users STILL get orange markers...how?! I both removed the Block and removed the BSX Flag "Has EditorMarker". Still get orange in the game users say.

EDIT2: then I used the SE mesh as a base and just copied over the NiTriShape Blocks that I edited. XB1 users STILL say the orange markers show up. So for now...it appears there is no solution to fixing this. It seems even if you touch a mesh with a EditorMarker, XB1 users will get the orange markers...assuming my testers did everything right.

Can anyone help? I got 3 issues with meshes and i have no idea how am i supposed to fix them, since none of them are using Strips so i can't really use the Trick in FirstPost by Arthmoor.  

* First one is a Sword Mesh that is invisible while in ThirdPerson but in FirstPerson is visible with a dark green color, no texture seems to be rendered.

* Second issue is a Caliente Body Mesh, it is working perfectly fine except for the Underwear, it is not rendered in game and i rather not have my races running naked.

* Third issue is a Hairstyle Mesh that is also being completely invisible both in game and the CreationKit.

Please help, i just got those three isues and i am about to publish my race mod once i fix them. just point me in the right direction, nifscan is not reporting any issue with those particular meshes, the error.txt is giving me a bunch of "Redundant White Vertex" errors with a bunch of other meshes but those are already working in game perfectly, so no need to mess with them.

Ok, been trying to load my skyrim mod into the SE CK to do the conversion, but every time I attempt to save, the CK gives the standard something is wrong message and shuts down.  I can load cells, and look around, even do edits, but can't save.  I have all my masters loaded with the esp.  I initially attempted this with all my files loosely loaded in Data directory, then tried just with the esp, but it won't save.  I do have a mymod.tes file under my esp in the Data folder.

I didn't see this discussed here in this topic, or anywhere else, so any advice, guidance is appreciated.  Thanks.

I had the same issue and it turn out to be the Textures, for some reason they were crashing the CK and the Game, what i did was to just manually open and save each and every single mesh as DXT5. I can't guarantee that this is the same issue you're having, but try checking your textures.

I had the same issue and it turn out to be the Textures, for some reason they were crashing the CK and the Game, what i did was to just manually open and save each and every single mesh as DXT5. I can't guarantee that this is the same issue you're having, but try checking your textures.

That will require a massive amt of alterations but I will do it if it works. What is the process for that?

Also, it may just be one problem.  When the CK crashes, I notice I'm also getting this error message which reads:

Textures: EyeArgonia01.nif: EyeArgonian is missing an environmental mask map.

Now, I don't have a custom nif named that so I was wondering if it may be a vanilla reference?  I do have an Argonian actor, but he was created with all vanilla resources.

This is not a vanilla mesh, and it is probably broken for SSE.

I've looked all over mesh and textures folders for anything named argonian and came up with nothing.

If you want to quickly skim textures for stuff like compression and color format, you could give xnview a try. It displays a ton of information in its preview windows.

I've looked all over mesh and textures folders for anything named argonian and came up with nothing.

I'm reasonably sure these ARE the stock meshes; I'm getting a similar error on the Khajiit eye resources when modifying only the inventory of a Khajiit NPC (one in the base game, so using stock game assets for eyes), with no NIFs matching that filename anywhere as loose files or in BSAs other than Skyrim - Meshes0.bsa.

This is not a vanilla mesh, and it is probably broken for SSE.

As it turns out, it looks like this mesh is vanilla.  I unpacked the skyrim-meshes.bsa to take a look.

TtJ9W1X.png

So, any suggestions?

All i can think of is to check what textures that particular argonian nif is using, then try checking those textures and mess with their compression.

All i can think of is to check what textures that particular argonian nif is using and try seeing what textures is using, then try checking those textures and mess with their compression.

Have no idea how to do that.  I may just delete the Argonian in my mod and see if that works.  I can reinstate him later I guess if I can get the esp to save.  Should we be fooling around with manipulating vanilla textures?  Anyway, no nothing about making nifs, meshes, nor textures.

Is there a good beginner guide for making meshes?  Something I really need to start learning.