[Skyrim SE] Porting a mod from LE to SSE

Arthmoor

You can make the process easier on yourself by right clicking on your ESP after you've added Update.esm as a master and using the "filter for conflict losers" option. Then expand Update.esm and look through the worldspace tree for CELL records and start dragging the water data across to your mods.

Thats what I did but I dunno how to add or dragging water from what where and how .

I never used xedit sorry.

Just install tes5edit and run it. By just looking around a lot of things will become apparent already. Then watch a few video guides.

It's really a great tool and once you get to know it, you will hate yourself for having wasted so much time in the ck for things that could have been done faster in xedit. :D

Trust me, just jump in and take a look. Nothing breaks until you save a file. Do watch or read a guide before you do, but by then you will already have a good feeling for xedit's awesomeness.

Have fun.

Just install tes5edit and run it. By just looking around a lot of things will become apparent already. Then watch a few video guides.

It's really a great tool and once you get to know it, you will hate yourself for having wasted so much time in the ck for things that could have been done faster in xedit. :D

Trust me, just jump in and take a look. Nothing breaks until you save a file. Do watch or read a guide before you do, but by then you will already have a good feeling for xedit's awesomeness.

Have fun.

couldnt agree more.

@ Promethius: once you teach yourself how to use xedit, you'll also gain a decent understanding of how the game and its assets are structured. A rudimentary understanding can be had in a day or so of self-teaching.. from there, you can begin to learn the (often complex) relationships between the different plugin records and forms, what is allowed and what isnt, how different plugins communicate with each others, etc. and you keep building you internal knowledgebase. Refer to the Fallout NV FNVEdit Training Manual... it's the timeless reference text for the program. Next thing you know, many of the mods you used to rely on will become obsolete, as you can manually integrate many of them into personal plugin that acts as a compilation of your favorite game tweaks. 

Just remember that with great power comes great responsibility.. meaning, keep backups .. esp if you like to learn by trial and error. 

Gang, going crazy trying to share with xbox crowd.  Please read this feedback regarding my uploaded Populated Cities, Villages, Towns:

Jabsy

Hey Tonycubed2, So I decided to do some testing to help you out with this mod. I've updated to version 2, for first go around, loaded my character in Markarth and it CTD. I then disabled it and Markarth was loading up just fine. I then moved to a remote location out in the wilderness and activated the mod. No problem while out in the wild, but as soon as I made my way to Markarth, I CTD right near the stables outside the gates of Markarth. I also noticed a sizeable decrease in FPS as I was making my way there. This might be a rendering issue for the console. Load order doesn't seem to correct this problem whether loaded last or right after the Unofficial Patch. I've disabled all mods other than this as well (including open cities) and yet the crashes still persist whether in or approaching major settlements. I have not encountered any grey faces though. Hope this information helps you out.

Is this because I need to make update.esm a master? The mod places new npcs in cities, villages, towns.  I used tesedit and carried over all records that were missing or conflicting. 

Hmmm... Weird, i have not had time to update my nif files, but i did saved a bunch of textures as DXT5 and now it works! Confirmed, It Was The Damn TEXTURES all along. If anyone is having CTD after loading and saving any mod in new CK, you all may want to re-save your textures as DXT5, it is a very annoying, boring and tiresome process. I can now preview models and textures and i am about to test it in game, sice it was also Crashing like crazy as soon as i selected any of my modded races in game.

Do you happen to know what texture format you were using that caused the issues? We've determined a lot of the more exotic DXT compressions crash the game, like 16bitX1R5G5B5.

That suggests there was probably something wrong with your textures to begin with. DXT5 is only for alpha channels. All formats will work.

Well...not all formats. The only tested ones I know for certain are DXT1,3,5 and uncompressed textures. What others have you tried out of curiosity?

Just wait for the proper Skyrim -> SSE nif converter, it is being developed.

It's being developed? Awesome. Good to know. Now that SMIM is in a good place for SE, I'll just wait for all these epic tools. :)

Here some information about my day of conversion of Gray Cowl of Nocturnal:

- Static objects: If you have invisible static objects or "all grayed" color, check the Vector Flags in every NiTriShapeData and make sure it's flagged "Has_Tangents" (usually is flagged in combination of "UV_Set1" flag)

- It's now possible to use lights that can cast shadows in exterior places (here an example: https://goo.gl/77T2tX)

- Shader Particles Geometry is bugged when you save your mod but it's correctly read by CK when you load the mod. All the particles used by weather (rain or snow) are invisible in game or just not enabled.

- Both CK and game seem to be more "delicate" with nif files. An improper set of parameters it may cause CTD more often. For example about BSLightingShaderProperty: If you set Skyrim Shader Type to Environmental Map but you don't set Shader Flags 1 to use SLFS1_Envirnment_Mapping then you have high chance to CTD, both CK and the game.

So those messages about SLFS flags need to be fixed for SSE? If so I guess we have some new work to do for USSEP :P

Hey just wanted to throw something out there for people doing NPC edits/updates.

I was converting a follower mod who had a customized face via Racemenu or ECE (I forget which). So when re-exporting the Facegen data it got all messed up (as expected). I found that if I keep the new texture .dds but return the original mesh nif, the follower loaded with a normal texture. It had a very small neck seam, which honestly I don't remember if it was there before or not. She's normally wearing huge armor that covers it so I don't care.

It needs a bit more testing to see how stable or what kind of side effects it may have, but I thought that might help others.

Anyone have comments about this?

When converting Populated series I get the following errors in tesedit after checking for errrors, are they improtant and can cause ctds?

[00:00] eeeeImperialNobleF01 "Noble" [NPC_:08003495]
[00:00]     NPC_ \ Tint Layers \ Layer \ TINI - Tint Index -> <Tint layer index 1 not found in ImperialRace "Imperial" [RACE:00013744]>
[00:00] eeeePilgrimDarkElfM01 "Pilgrim" [NPC_:0800452D]
[00:00]     NPC_ \ Tint Layers \ Layer \ TINI - Tint Index -> <Tint layer index 24 not found in DarkElfRace "Dark Elf" [RACE:00013742]>
[00:00] eeeeChildBretonM01 "Child" [NPC_:0800455A]
[00:00]     NPC_ \ Tint Layers \ Layer \ TINI - Tint Index -> <Tint layer index 2 not found in BretonRaceChild "Breton" [RACE:0002C65C]>
[00:01] eeeeServantDarkElfM01 "Servant" [NPC_:080050CC]
[00:01]     NPC_ \ Tint Layers \ Layer \ TINI - Tint Index -> <Tint layer index 24 not found in DarkElfRace "Dark Elf" [RACE:00013742]>
[00:01] eeeeServantOldM01 "Servant" [NPC_:080050DB]
[00:01]     NPC_ \ Tint Layers \ Layer \ TINI - Tint Index -> <Tint layer index 24 not found in ElderRace "Old People Race" [RACE:00067CD8]>

Well...not all formats. The only tested ones I know for certain are DXT1,3,5 and uncompressed textures. What others have you tried out of curiosity?

That's all I meant. :) IMO there's no need for anything else.

So those messages about SLFS flags need to be fixed for SSE? If so I guess we have some new work to do for USSEP :P

I actually warned on NifScan description page that such errors with mismatched envmap shader type and flag lead to random CTDs.

Speaking of such things, I got USSEP (and USLEEP too, since the files are still the same) down to just these now:

NifScan 0.3, starting to scan...

dlc01\clutter\vampireclutter\dlc01vampirethrallfeedta01.nif
    Block [17]: BSLightingShaderProperty has Environment Map Skyrim shader type or SLSF1_Environment_Mapping flag set, must be used together only

dlc01\clutter\vampireclutter\dlc01vampirethrallfeedta02.nif
    Block [22]: BSLightingShaderProperty has Environment Map Skyrim shader type or SLSF1_Environment_Mapping flag set, must be used together only

usleep\ship\usleep_shiplargekatariah02_lod.nif
    Block [11]: BSLightingShaderProperty has Environment Map Skyrim shader type or SLSF1_Environment_Mapping flag set, must be used together only
    Block [15]: BSLightingShaderProperty has Environment Map Skyrim shader type or SLSF1_Environment_Mapping flag set, must be used together only
    Block [23]: BSLightingShaderProperty has Environment Map Skyrim shader type or SLSF1_Environment_Mapping flag set, must be used together only
    Block [39]: BSLightingShaderProperty has Environment Map Skyrim shader type or SLSF1_Environment_Mapping flag set, must be used together only
    Block [48]: BSLightingShaderProperty has Environment Map Skyrim shader type or SLSF1_Environment_Mapping flag set, must be used together only

[Done] Checked 1998 file(s)

I don't know what to do with them though because I'm not quite sure what it's telling me.

Speaking of such things, I got USSEP (and USLEEP too, since the files are still the same) down to just these now:

I don't know what to do with them though because I'm not quite sure what it's telling me.

Those must be used together. Having either one of them is bad.

3o4RG0X.png

Ah, ok. Thanks. Got those taken care of too. No more errors in USSEP meshes.

Ah, ok. Thanks. Got those taken care of too. No more errors in USSEP meshes.

By the way I noticed that the same mesh in SSE misses the flag, so maybe this is no longer a problem in special edition. Or maybe it is indeed an error on their part and vanilla game will randomly crash there.

Have fun.

Thanks I did manage go drag the water from the central update to my right positioned mod and seemed to turn the thing from red to green (  I had previously run check for cleaning ) then I see this block that has no custom water and dunno what do to ?

a1dfe52e06b94df98c86d3647044bb70.png

On that one you'd right click on the water data in your mod and tell xEdit to remove it so it matches Update.esm.

Ok I must say that there are Uncommon issues of Unknown origin when exporting new meshes from the usual max exporters.

First of all I tested max 2016 and it just doesn't export a working skeleton .

Then I used max 2011 , this works but introduces some weird issues in the meshes that not always are fixable with all the mentioned before solutions . I have checked the new meshes for armors and such and they no longer use the nitrishape data.

SO I can say that its incompatible to make copy paste from old to new models .

I have no idea if there is an exporter for new format , but even if there would be incompatibilities between the two kind of models skinned.

The main issues appeared to be messy skin data and appearing and disappearing mesh parts of the body that were not solved in any of the mentioned solutions .

If new items need to be done for Skyrim SE , its important to get a working exporter , importer and how this new stuff works.

By the way I noticed that the same mesh in SSE misses the flag, so maybe this is no longer a problem in special edition. Or maybe it is indeed an error on their part and vanilla game will randomly crash there.

I discovered a more precise situation of high chance of CTD in CK or in game:

if Skyrim Shader Type is set to Default but you use a specific SLSF1 flag such Environment Map that requires a right Skyrim Shader Type then it may cause CTD very often. Less is viceversa. And it causes only when it should be rendered in view. For example when I load my cell in CK it crashed when I tried to focus the dirty asset. Different is in-game because objects are loaded in whole cell (exterior or interior).

I discovered a more precise situation of high chance of CTD in CK or in game:

if Skyrim Shader Type is set to Default but you use a specific SLSF1 flag such Environment Map that requires a right Skyrim Shader Type then it may cause CTD very often. Less is viceversa. And it causes only when it should be rendered in view. For example when I load my cell in CK it crashed when I tried to focus the dirty asset. Different is in-game because objects are loaded in whole cell (exterior or interior).

This, and the other way around zilav mentioned, is what I consider "dirty" meshes and they drive me crazy. :X

This, and the other way around zilav mentioned, is what I consider "dirty" meshes and they drive me crazy. :X

I think this is the way of optimization of Skyrim SE: not so many error handlers and bypassers in the runtime code to gain some fps.

Honestly I like this way. It may be frustrating but it helps you to get rid of dirty meshes and textures.

Do you happen to know what texture format you were using that caused the issues? We've determined a lot of the more exotic DXT compressions crash the game, like 16bitX1R5G5B5.

I am using GIMP to do all my texture edits, saddly i can't see which compression method it was using previously... maybe there is a way to check in GIMP but i don't know it yet. 

The only thing i do remember using back then when i created the mod, was that Optmizer Texture (Ordenador) Tool in Nexus. That's the only thing i can think of. The CK was crashing by loading any mesh or texture and i could not save it to upgrade the esp to new records , but then started manually saving all my textures as DXT5 and all of a sudden the CK allowed me to save, as soon as i save i started preview all my textures and models, and it is now fully working. I really thought i would had to mess with Meshes and it made me uneasy because my knowledge of them is very limited.

I haven't proven this yet, but while I was cleaning all my pretty SMIM meshes I realized cleaning is more effective if I also listen to Rappin' Drakken at the same time. And I would shout (heh) "Lather, Rinse, and Obey!" to each mesh as they were cleansed. At the end I said to myself, "Mr. Mean is squeaky clean!" Again, I can't prove this is necessary, but you guys might want to try it. It just makes your mods feel more pristine and shiny I feel.

Yes, I meant to add but was in a hurry ... this is a good thing.

Totally agree. It is surprising how many issues were found in my SMIM meshes...then again, we're dealing with a semi-undocumented format and I'm sure Bethesda has internal tools like zilav created to ensure it is impossible to export bad combinations and missing properties.