[Skyrim SE] Porting a mod from LE to SSE

Arthmoor

oops the whole video appeard not my intention.. I do give a link in the video to avoid the silly trailer. I give a link in the description to your forum post..smiles

So I'm a tad confused as to the state of SkyUI for SSE. Is it planning to be ported once SSESE/SKSE2 comes out, or no...?

A friend posted this link to a ported version for me. Idk where he got it, but it works:

[Link Removed]

It uses an older version of SkyUI, though (probably the last one before the MCM Menu was added), so it lacks the latest UI's like alchemy, blacksmithing, enchanting, trade, etc.

However you can just do what I did for years before SkyUI finally covered those and use QD Inventory for those components. I've been using QD Inventory for eons (like, since it first came out, and it was one of the first Skyrim mods too) and it still works fine in SSE. Just let the SkyUI port overwrite some of QD Inventory's assets.

Edited by Arthmoor
No linking to pirated files.

From my testing almost all mods are working just fine without needing to be converted. This includes meshes and texture replacers, plugins, etc.

Few things to note:

- All old .bsa archives will not work. Extract their contents before using their mods.

- Animation replacers won't work, don't try (you will just get T-Poses). They need to be converted from 32-bit to 64-bit, and we don't have a tool to do that... yet.

- Some textures were causing CTD's for me. I'm still unsure why, but I'd assume it was lack of support for some kinds of compression (like what they did in Fallout 4).

- Obviously any mod that requires SkyUI and has an MCM menu will not work.

- Any mod that relies on SKSE .dll files or just simply uses SKSE script functions won't work of course.

Overall this really isn't as bad as I'd feared...

First off, please don't link to pirated mod files. That's a huge no-go around here.

Second - you absolutely need to run the ESP files through the new CK or you're going to have old record formats hanging around and SSEEdit is not going to assume anything you load into it for use in SSE is still old. Let the CK do what it needs to do and update the forms, and any facegen data the mod has for NPCs as well.

Sorry for keeping the thread out of his original topic, but since someone mentioned the SkyUI joke from this morning :

The file is publicly available on the SkyUI's github (there really was nothing changed), link here : https://github.com/schlangster/skyui/releases

No need to try to look like a hero by re-uploading it to nexus where you can just share the rightful link.

I think it was v2.1. Haven't tested myself. Newer versions might work as well, minus the SKSE calls.

is there anything wrong with just: copy as override --> new file   --  then xedit will make the new plugin with the proper header.

For simple plugins with no VMAD, facegen, novel assets, etc. ... this seems like it would be acceptable in lieu of CK (in the meantime). Am I overlooking something?

You need to run the file through the new CK. Trying to shortcut things is only going to make a mess.

Does that applies for all older mods regardless what kind of content a mod have?

My Skyrim Map Markers mod only have statics.  Are statics also changed in SSE?

PS: Another thing I've realized. Meshes, specifically NiTriShape Blocks that do NOT have proper Tangent and Bitangent data will render as psychodelic glitchy messes that turn black at certain angles in the Special Edition. Once again, in the original game, those meshes would render "smooth" and only upon close inspection could you tell their depth/tangent info was missing. So...once again...in my dream world I'd love some utility that could check a bunch of meshes for missing Tangent/Bitangent and even Normals on all NiTriShape Blocks. FYI, the reason one of my SMIM meshes had missing Tangent/Bitangent was because of an esoteric export error in 3DSMax, and when I'm editing hundreds of meshes it is VERY easy to have a few export with errors without knowning.

I have NifModify utility that updates tangents automatically and replaces textures. Ehamloptiran made it for me by request long time ago. I hesitated to share because never asked him how does he feel about making it public and some of performed operations are very specific. And it doesn't update normals. Anyway, here it is

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/79797/

Don't guarantee anything, but it worked for me on over 1000+ of meshes.

Heh. I posted a question on his Nifscan entry asking if it would be possible. :P

Updated NifScan to check for NiTriStrip nodes and strips in NiSkinPartition (but only first partition block is checked, I pretty sure they will all have the same format anyway).

Okay, it seem textures can now crash the game.

Please test, and if you got the know-how (Brumbek, if you're still reading this thread, you're probably one of the most knowledgeable one, and also potentially concerned), consider investigating this seriously, could benefit a lot of persons :

From Vivid Landscape - All In One download Vivid Landscapes - All in One - Loose Files 2048

Only extract & install install those two files from the archive (yes, big download just for two textures... sorry) :

textures\architecture\farmhouse\wovenfence01.dds
textures\architecture\farmhouse\wovenfence01_n.dds

Start SSE and go to riverwood (coc riverwood). Game should instantly crash. Remove the normal map -> Everything is fine. What gives ? oO

(Testing done on the default Ultra ini settings).

Initially reported by  Hishutup on STEP.

I am wondering , did someone recive a free Xbox Token ? I got a xbox, asked for one , but never received, I know some did .

Now my mods are working on pc but not working on Xbox, I have packed them fine , but I suspect there must be some other issues on xbox where scripts get messed , load order is messed and some other issues with special items like animated objects and shaders plus mod conflicting with each other .

There is no way I can actually know wtf is a xbox user downloading , using or doing with his mods and with mines, so I can't help much on fixing bugs, I am seriously starting thinking to remove all my xbox mods because of that as they seem not working , we have not received any serious help in fixing bugs or get a know hot to for weeks , we mostly were told a couple of times, we are working on that and please list bugs, then silence . IPlus the Mod description is messed because I can't answer single messages, the messages cumulates and I can't stay all day checking each of them , because there is no nesting feature, plus the description is limited and most of the important things like spoilers and tips or debugging isn't possible to post together for larger mods.

The normal and specular maps need to be saved in correct (dx10+) format, just like for FO4. You can use Intel Texture Works v1.0.4+ plugin for Photoshop. 

P.S. Many mods for FO4 (still) uses wrong texture format and this will cause CTD's sooner or later. There are tutorials how to properly convert textures for FO4+, just search for ''Intel Texture Works for Fallout 4''.

The normal and specular maps need to be saved in correct (dx10+) format, just like for FO4. You can use Intel Texture Works v1.0.4+ plugin for Photoshop. 

P.S. Many mods for FO4 (still) uses wrong texture format and this will cause CTD's sooner or later. There are tutorials how to properly convert textures for FO4+, just search for ''Intel Texture Works for Fallout 4''.

Don't you just need to use the DXT 1 , 3 or 5 ?

I know but the only thing that would change is if the model uses a PBR shader, wich rgardless would still use the same normal map , what woul dchange is instead the Albedo and the roughness / metallness map to be used in place of diffuse and specular.

Are you sure about that? None of the ones the game uses are using anything other than standard format as far as I can tell, but I'm not the expert here on textures. I'm also fairly certain Bethesda would have warned us about that during the beta.

Theoretically, majority of plugins don't need any conversion at all. The game reads data in records depending on Form Version field that you see at the top of records in xEdit. SSE introduced new version 44 which has changes in format of some records, however previous form versions are also still valid in SEE similar to how SSE still reads majority of older Skyrim Nifs.

The only thing to look at is if a mod overrides a record what has changed in SSE like river flow data in cells for example.

However I don't recommend to load Skyrim plugins into SSEEdit without prior resaving in new CK. It reads almost all records without checking Form Version and assumes new SSE form version format 44 for everything.

I think I will go with this description for now . I like it the best Zilav.

Are you sure about that? None of the ones the game uses are using anything other than standard format as far as I can tell, but I'm not the expert here on textures. I'm also fairly certain Bethesda would have warned us about that during the beta.

Yes I'm sure, but only when it comes to FO4, I'm not sure if anything changed in SSE. 

And yes, textures can still be used in older format, but the problem is with normal maps and specular maps.

I even tested it in FO4, I loaded the game with most normal and specular maps in the old format (compatible with Skyrim 2011 and older) and the game was sometimes crashing on fast travel and sometimes even during gameplay, but after I converted them to dx10+ crashes stopped. So for ''_d'' format should not matter that much, but for ''_n'' and ''_s'' it should be converted to dx10+ for FO4 and most likely for SSE too. But it's Bethesda and theirs ancient engine, you never know..

Thanks Arthmoor

I did a wee video to try to help folks avoid uploading their old mods, it is disliked, but,...

I really liked that I added it to the SSEEdit page.