need help with a mesh (probably tangents)

VaultDuke

Hello AFK moders,

the next version of Bound Armory is underway, and currently i'm trying to implement a bound scythe. Sadly, the mesh i have is very oddly made. I have most things covered, but the specularity is looking very odd. It appears some of the tangents or normals or something are very very off for half of the mesh. (there's a mirror plane, which i think the author did infact just mirror parts of the mesh and messed up there).

Iknow some of you have quite a bit of experience with tangent space and i'd be super grateful if you could lend me a helping hand. please take a look if you want and see if my theory is right and if you can do something to fix the problem.

http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/1874-bound-scythe-wip/

thank you very much

Could the textures be packed with it? The normal maps may rely on a certan tangent space configuration, and are needed to make sure it still renders correctly.

What I could see without the normal maps:

* None of the NiTriShapes have full tangent spaces, just the normals.  However, since they do have the normals at least, changing the "Vector Flags" flag set in the NiTriShapeData to include the "Has Tangents" flag, and then right clicking the encompassing NiTriShape > Mesh > Update Tangent Space will generate the missing tangent and bitangent arrays.

* Several surfaces have a lot of apparently inappropriate hard edges on it. This is why I asked for the normals: were those the normals that the tex set had its normal map baked to?

Aaaaand I found the main culprit of the problems: that normal map.  There is only one scant part of it that has the normal maps baked.  The rest just have black; not even 127.127.255 baseline blueish purple. The specular alpha channel is missing for all the same portions as well.

Where did you get this mesh? You'd best ask them for the rest of this mesh's normal and spec maps.

Thank you again MadCat221 for taking a look. It appears the mesh is a hopeless case and i went and got permission to include another scythe by Loshirai14. It's working perfectly and is internally well structured. Case closed.