Creator of MO is officially working on next version of NMM

VaultDuke

Thanks for all the "anneal" talk. Didn't mean to slightly derail the thread, heh. I have a problem following most software documentation. There's always something that doesn't make sense or a step accidentally left out. I generally either have to figure it out myself or watch others do it. After I posted yesterday I went searching for WB vids on Youtube and found some very helpful ones. Back when I was experimenting with it, I was able to figure out a lot just by right-clicking. The whole package-to-project-to-package process, for example.

307 is in a pretty good state right now, certainly useable, especially for Oblivion. I thought I might wait for the stable release before switching permanently for Skyrim, but I might not wait. Per Zilav's comment, I do fiddle with installed mods a lot. MO has been very good for me where NMM was a complete disaster. But I'm kind of tired of all that and would really like to get a stable mod list and actually play the game again.

MO does require users to learn about folder structure (the fact that many don't bother is not Tannin's fault). This is even more true of WB. Gradually I am getting back to my old PC modding days, when manual was the only way and you had to know exactly what you were putting where. I made a 10 year Xbox detour that atrophied my skills.

My average game runs to mod manager runs ratio is probably 50:1, this means I adjust something with installed mods only once per 50 game executions. I'd rather click "Anneal" once and don't bother running mod manager in background (and deal with other VFS implications) for 50 game sessions. I'm pretty sure majority of users have even larger ratio. But if your situation is different then sure, MO is a better choice for you.

When I've had free time, I've done more modding than playing, which means switching out (my) mods and testing them. When I've felt in a playing mood, I've spent more time just trying to install and tweak mods in a way that results in the least amount of conflicts. I'm extremely sensitive to bugs and other issues, and anything I can fix will lead me out of the game and into xEdit or Papyrus, which again involves more mod switching and testing. I'd estimate my average game runs to mod manager runs ratio at 1:1, and MO reduces the time I spend out of the game. That said, I haven't had any free time of late...

A large part of why VFS appeals to me is that it's like running git clean -fx; git reset --hard HEAD before running the game and installing mods. If I want to run vanilla, I can do that without making any changes to the Data folder (read: working tree), and if I want to switch between different profiles (e.g., SkyRe, Requiem, Enderal), I can troubleshoot problems with vastly different sets of mods, knowing there's never any trash data left over from partial uninstallations that will lead me down a frustrating and totally unrelated rabbit hole.

VFS eliminates a major point of failure in the modding workflow for both modders and players—although you may have to worry about whether the VFS implementation is the point of failure itself, as it often is in the alpha versions of MO2.