Courier with Letter from Falk Firebeard

Thenryb

This hardly qualifies as a new topic, but I cannot find any recent discussion about it. After completing the clearing out of Wolfskull Cave, reporting to Firebeard, going to another city, leveling up and waiting 24 hours, I still do not get the courier with the Firebeard letter. I did an inventory search of Firebeard when I reported the results at Wolfskull cave and he had the (blank) letter in his inventory. I then went to Whiterun, leveled up, waited in the Drunken Huntsman for 24 hours and no courier appeared. I reloaded my Drunken Huntsman save with the latest USLEEP patch disabled, repeated the process and the courier appeared. 

This hardly qualifies as a new topic, but I cannot find any recent discussion about it. After completing the clearing out of Wolfskull Cave, reporting to Firebeard, going to another city, leveling up and waiting 24 hours, I still do not get the courier with the Firebeard letter. I did an inventory search of Firebeard when I reported the results at Wolfskull cave and he had the (blank) letter in his inventory. I then went to Whiterun, leveled up, waited in the Drunken Huntsman for 24 hours and no courier appeared. I reloaded my Drunken Huntsman save with the latest USLEEP patch disabled, repeated the process and the courier appeared. 

Why wait in the Drunken Huntsman, I don't understand why you did do that it isn't necessary to wait there?

The courier will find you eventually regardless where you are, except if you're in a daedric realm e.g Azura's realm in this quest.

If you got the letter without having USLEEP active often mean you have a loose script, which are blocking any bugfix from USLEEP and AFAIK all scripts in USLEEP are stored in a bsa file.

Also, a loadorder would be a great help for anyone here, but without a loadorder I think nobody can help you. :)

I have had the courier get stuck in the middle of nowhere just standing in one spot in some play throughs. This may not exactly help but I have bypassed this by using a feature in Arthmoor's Provincial Courier Service to have mail delivered to a home you own

@Leonardo- I am aware that I do not need to wait in the Drunken Huntsman or in any particular spot, but have found it convenient to step outside and meet the courier rather than having him "find me". Without USLEEP enabled he is always there and I grab the letter, save the game, exit and reenable the patch. I thought that letter was supposed to come in 24 hours after you level up, so when it did not arrive, I figured the quest was borked.  However, Arthmoor says seven days. However, with the patch disabled he appears like clockwork outside the Drunken Huntsman in 24 hours after you level up. So convenient. You have the letter and do not have to be further concerned.

I have a current game where my character completed the quest to clear out Wolfskull Cave and has leveled up three times since then with no appearance by the Courier. The following is my load order:

Active Mod Files:

00  Skyrim.esm
01  Update.esm
02  Dawnguard.esm
03  HearthFires.esm
04  Dragonborn.esm
05  Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp  [Version 3.0.5]
06  ApachiiHair.esm
07  SkyrimWeightImprovement.esp
08  SkyUI.esp
09  PlayerHomeMapMarkers.esp
0A  RaceMenu.esp
0B  RaceMenuPlugin.esp
0C  TheChoiceIsYours.esp  [Version 1.6]
0D  TimingIsEverything.esp
0E  Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
0F  Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
10  Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
11  Craft, Temper, Smelt.esp
12  Auto Unequip Arrows.esp
13  Auto Unequip Shield.esp
14  Bag of Holding.esp
15  dbmisc.esp
16  Kuun's angels drop armor.esp
17  Oblivious Horses (Ess Stam Speed) (DG Ready).esp
18  Quest Eraser.esp
19  Smelter_Riften & Solitude.esp
1A  ApotheusLightArmor_by_GuitunScarfin.esp
1B  Kaw's Claws.esp
1C  BreezehomeEnchantingTable.esp
1D  llamaRoriksteadRetreat.esp
1E  Skyrim Home.esp
1F  The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp  [Version 1.2.8]
20  towBlockSteal.esp
21  GoldenVendors.esp
22  Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
23  Less Talkative NPCs Release - V1.esp
24  STFU.esp
25  STFU - guards.esp
26  Crime Overhaul.esp
27  Weapons & Armor_FasterArrows.esp
28  AT - Faster Arrows Improved +100%.esp
29  Viconia.esp
2A  Toccata.esp
2B  UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
2C  UFO - Dawnguard AddOn.esp
2D  UFO - Heartfire AddOn.esp
2E  UFO - Dragonborn AddOn - Unofficial.esp
2F  UFO - Unofficial Serana Patch.esp
30  SeranaLearnsSoulCairnSpells.esp
31  Serana.esp
32  Arvak, Shadowmere's Body - No Saddle.esp
33  EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp
34  ChaconneVilja.esp
35  EMViljaInSolstheimAddOn.esp
36  FormID_ListUSLEP_EMCVS.esp
37  No NPC Greetings.esp
38  DisarmDisarm.esp
39  Insignificant Object Remover.esp
3A  MiscWeaponsArmor.esp
3B  Iknowtheway.esp
3C  FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul.esp
3D  Better Stealth AI for Followers.esp  [Version 3.4]
3E  FNIS.esp
3F  FNISSexyMove.esp
40  FNIS_PCEA2.esp
41  2HandSpeed40.esp
42  NotSoFast-MainQuest.esp
43  LessDragonsNMQ10.esp
44  Black Books Begone.esp
45  HN66_NAILS4ALL_GauntletSupport1.esp
46  vAutosaveManager.esp
47  RaceChanger.esp
48  Housecarls.esp
49  Critical Hits Recalculated - Barbarian Edition by AshAuryn.esp
4A  Nirnroot.esp
4B  dD - Easy Lift Bodies and Objects.esp
4C  Artifact Disenchanting.esp
4D  Artifact Disenchanting - Dawnguard.esp
4E  Artifact Disenchanting - Dragonborn.esp
4F  Blacksmith Chests.esp
50  CarpenterChests_Hearthfire.esp
51  Helgen Reborn.esp  [Version 105.3]
52  Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp  [Version 2.4.1]
53  Bashed Patch, 0.esp
54  TheEyesOfBeauty.esp  [Version 8]

The frustrating thing about this quest is that by the time one concludes that the courier is not going to appear, it is too late to do anything about it, which is why, in the past, I have disabled the patch temporarily just to get the courier to spawn with the letter, since there is no way through the console to force that (from all I have read). And, yes, I have spent plenty of time in cities other than Solitude hoping to see him trundling up to me with the letter. I notice in my scripts subfolder, two pex files which appear to relate to this quest.

When we fixed the quest we changed the event type because at the time you couldn't obtain it if you'd managed to hit level 81 before doing it. So it's not tied to a level up event anymore. You do Wolfskull Cave, 7 days go by, Courier will contact you when the second half is ready. There is nothing wrong with this at all.

I'm curious what this mod does.  Is it to remove *unwanted* active quests in the journal?

18  Quest Eraser.esp

When we fixed the quest we changed the event type because at the time you couldn't obtain it if you'd managed to hit level 81 before doing it. So it's not tied to a level up event anymore. You do Wolfskull Cave, 7 days go by, Courier will contact you when the second half is ready. There is nothing wrong with this at al

Thanks for the explanation. I recall earlier complaints with the quest much have which involved the level 81 issue. I guess I just missed reading about how it was fixed.

I'm curious what this mod does.  Is it to remove *unwanted* active quests in the journal?

18  Quest Eraser.esp

Yes. It went along with an early version of The Choice is Yours by Kryptopyr. I am one of those who hates both forced greets and especially hates having quests forced upon you and stuck in the log. I dislike the Thieves guild, the Dark Brotherhood, escaping the Cindra Mine, and almost all Daedra quests and do not even want them in my log, especially not as a main quest. And I do not want some inkeeper giving me a quest I do not want just because I ask about rumors.  This places a book in the Drunken Huntsman which allows you to opt out of one which you may have accidentally accepted. It is probably not necessary but does no harm. If I recall correctly, it only allows erasure of the quests covered by The Choice is Yours Mod. Eg you accidentally read that stupid Boethia book and do not want to kill a follower to get a dumb piece of armor, that book will allow you to erase it. If you decide you do not want to cure the tree in Whiterun, I do not think the book would allow erasure of that.

Yes. It went along with an early version of The Choice is Yours by Kryptopyr. I am one of those who hates both forced greets and especially hates having quests forced upon you and stuck in the log. I dislike the Thieves guild, the Dark Brotherhood, escaping the Cindra Mine, and almost all Daedra quests and do not even want them in my log, especially not as a main quest. And I do not want some inkeeper giving me a quest I do not want just because I ask about rumors.  This places a book in the Drunken Huntsman which allows you to opt out of one which you may have accidentally accepted. It is probably not necessary but does no harm. If I recall correctly, it only allows erasure of the quests covered by The Choice is Yours Mod. Eg you accidentally read that stupid Boethia book and do not want to kill a follower to get a dumb piece of armor, that book will allow you to erase it. If you decide you do not want to cure the tree in Whiterun, I do not think the book would allow erasure of that.

I suggest that you open TES5Edit then load Skyrim.esm, Quest Eraser, and USLEEP then compare Quest Eraser with USLEEP like what Nightstar said here of how to search for a conflict in TES5Edit.

If you find any value that doesn't match between USLEEP and Quest Eraser then you have a mod conflict, which must be solved otherwise other quests could also conflict.