Anything Audio Thread

lmstearn

1 hour ago, lmstearn said:

Got a bit out of hand with so many versions of Wives & Lovers to select from:

Hide contents

For me, Jack Jones recorded the definitive version of the song (the original, not that disco version).  That's the recording I heard twenty times a day on the radio when I was a kid so it will forever be associated with Jones in my mind.  But I have to admit it's hard to beat the inimitable Jimmy Smith.  :)

15 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

For me, Jack Jones recorded the definitive version of the song (the original, not that disco version).  That's the recording I heard twenty times a day on the radio when I was a kid so it will forever be associated with Jones in my mind.  But I have to admit it's hard to beat the inimitable Jimmy Smith.  :)

Yep! :)  posted the disco version only because Jack Jones was, and probably still is, the only one in the universe brave enough- the remix is much clearer, but longer.

OTOH, You wouldn't get anyone doing a disco (or any other style) cover of this:

:wub:

Also, Peter Nero's version was included by mistake, so pulled it out,

Got this one of Jimmy on vinyl: it's a cracker!

After talking about him here I felt compelled to look Jack Jones up on the internet.  I was happy to discover that he is still alive!  And I found out something else I didn't know:  his father, Allen Jones, appeared in A night at the Opera and A Day at the Races with the Marx Brothers.  I've seen those movies countless times and I never made the connection.   

• 4 weeks later...

Some time ago on AL posted up versions of the EWF classic- here's some:

Edited by lmstearn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At the passing of Harry Belafonte:

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, lmstearn said:

This one a while back:

There appears to be an issue with your link.

Is there a copyright notice for country on it? It's a State51 release, they are a UK outfit, but the clip is a U.S. production, so someone else apparently has the rights for the U.S. subscribers, sorry.

Also getting this Sony notice from @Pseron Wyrd's post as well :(

Video unavailable
This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds

yep heard that this morning, the Queen of what ever she did. Sad to hear another of the artists I grew up with is gone, although we still have the recorded record of her art.

• 5 weeks later...
Spoiler

Cahn & Van Heusens' was slightly more staid:

Edited by lmstearn

• 3 weeks later...

While [edit] not totally sold on the music, the video takes the mind to places quite removed from the grid, map, or what might be construed as any place of common dalliance. On youtube, there is "Beware of strobing", could be an issue on 4k or larger screens. 

Spoiler

Taking a trip back in time, just going out is quite pleasant:

Or a city walk:

Or any long forgotten location:

Edited by lmstearn

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure of the level of interest in Fallout: London, but the Original Soundtrack is available on Youtube.  Four (almost five) hours of the music of Fallout:London. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...