[RELz] Skyrim Map Markers

Leonardo

Skyrim_Map_Markers-mod_image.jpg.358715e58122c50295491b769b30745a.jpg

Courtsey to cedric37 @ TWC forum for making the images for the banner and the sigbar.

Skyrim Map Markers

Simply put, this mod adds map markers for places that don't have one in the game. In total, there are over 230 *new* map markers added!

What this mod does is to let the player to discover new places; places you had no idea that existed in Skyrim. This mod gives the best results in a new game, but it can be installed in your current game.

Download @ AFK Mods - https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/2076-skyrim-map-markers/

Download @ Nexus - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/89387

Installation

Just extract the archive into the Skyrim\Data folder and activate the ESP in the Skyrim Launcher or use your favourite the mod manager, but I'll not offer support for MO or NMM since I haven't tried those mod managers.

I only offer support for Wrye Bash since I use Wrye Bash myself.

Upgrading

Just install the new version, overwriting the old version of the plugin with the new release.

In Wrye Bash just overwrite the old archive, unless you want to keep it, then use anneal or install missing file(s) in BAIN to update this mod. Always rebuild the bashed patch and run LOOT.

Uninstall

Just delete the Skyrim Map Markers.esp file in the Skyrim\Data directory. You can uninstall this mod any time since the mod doesn't install any scripts.

Credits

- Bethesda for the Skyrim Legendary Edition, and the Creation Kit.

Additional Information

This mod has been cleaned in TES5Edit. The latest version can be found here: https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/3750-wipz-tes5edit/

There shouldn't be any issues, unless another mod has changed the same cell and has replaced a map marker from this mod.

Should you have an issue then try to load this mod last in your load order, but before Arthmoor's Dawnguard Map Markers mod. Contact me if you have any issues.

Release Information

- 1.8 for both the Skyrim Legendary Edition and the Skyrim Special Edition

Note: The 1.8 version for the Skyrim Legendary Edition is the final version, since I have decided not to mod Skyrim Legendary Edition anymore.

Permission

DO NOT upload this mod to any site without my permission.

NO porting to other games, inlcuding to Skyrim Special Edition and/or in any mod for other TES (Morrowind, Oblivion or later) games.
NO commercial purposes whatsoever!

Always, ask for my permission for...

Translation
Mod compilations
Mod Merging, if another mod is released with this mod integrated in it
Mod Mirroring

If I am no longer around in the community then the stewardship for this mod belongs to these sites:

AFK Mods

Finally, the community modding history sites such as the Morrowind Modding History (MMH) always have my permission to ensure my mod will be preserved for the future.

Edited by Leonardo
Mirror for Nexus added.
  • Like 3

I have just updated my mod and below is what's new in the 1.1 version.

Changelog
------------

1.1 - Corrected a map marker that had incorrect name while I was testing the mod

1.0 - Initial release

Similar, yes it is but it is not advanced.  My map marker mod is more vanilla friendly since I wanted to stick to vanilla as much as possible.  Besides my mod aren't a MCM mod, which requires SKSE and SkyUI or SkyUIAway.

• 1 month later...

I'm working on an update and I want to ask the people here who is using the Skyrim Map Markers mod about posting a picture of your game map where you think a map marker could be added.

I'll at least consider adding such a map marker, perhaps your suggestion is already included in the Skyrim Map Markers 1.2 version.

Last night I decided, after some thoughts, to postpone my 1.2 update until SSE are launched the 28th of October and like I said in the description I do plan to convert this mod to SSE.

So as soon the CK is available I'm gonna to release a SSE 1.0 version of the Skyrim Map Markers mod.  That's why I ask you guys here about what places you have discovered, which I haven't added a map marker for it yet. :)

Currently i use a combination if old map marker mods (pre-Atlas but personally maintained and updated).

Haven't tried your mod yet, so don't know if you already did, but what i like are markers for all mines including adding the ore to the name (this includes renaming some of the vanilla markers). Does your mod cover that? I might be tempted to switch to yours, which sounds like it is way less crowded than the overlapping mess i currently use (there's a marker for nearly every house in every city; while it cuts down on walking distance, i spend way too much time zooming the map and aiming for the right marker) plus it covers the dlc, right? :D

Currently i use a combination if old map marker mods (pre-Atlas but personally maintained and updated).

Haven't tried your mod yet, so don't know if you already did, but what i like are markers for all mines including adding the ore to the name (this includes renaming some of the vanilla markers). Does your mod cover that? I might be tempted to switch to yours, which sounds like it is way less crowded than the overlapping mess i currently use (there's a marker for nearly every house in every city; while it cuts down on walking distance, i spend way too much time zooming the map and aiming for the right marker) plus it covers the dlc, right? :D

Hmm... Never thought about having a map marker for a mineral deposit, but if I decide to add a such *unique* map marker for a mineral deposit I'll not rename any vanilla cell name due for minimizing mod issues.

Also, my mod doesn't add any map marker inside the cities, except for the Docks in Windhelm, but I admit I was tempted to add a map marker for the Shrine Of Talos in Riften and after some thoughts I decided not to add a map marker inside a city or a town/village.

Another note about other map marker mods is that my mod doesn't require SKSE and SkyUI/SkyUI-Away due for not being a MCM mod nor does my mod add any loose scripts when the Skyrim Map Markers mod is installed.  So that's why I decided to convert my mod for SSE from the beginning and I'll do it as soon the 64-bit CK is available.

I also took a quick look at the Altas map marker mod on Nexus and I agree with you, that mod has way too many map markers added in-game.

Another thing is that I only use vanilla map marker icons for my mod while the Altas mod has a lot more map marker icons than my mod have.

Have just started to work with the update and I'll test it myself.  In the CK I notice an *unused* map marker, already placed by the devs, for the cave entrance of the chamber in Bleakfalls Barrow.

Is it safe to *activate* that map marker for the Skyrim Map Markers mod in the CK?

EDIT:  Scratch that... spookyfx.com at BSF posted an anwser for this question, so I'm going to follow his advice.

• 2 weeks later...

The Skyrim Map Markers 1.2 version is released and the first post has the latest changes.  Enjoy! :D

EDIT:  Nephenee13 at the Bethesda forum posted a link to this picture.

Bleak Falls Sanctum

Thanks for taking up my suggestion. though i think adding labels to deposits would get a bit overwhelming (or at least tedious for you :D). i was in fact talking about mines and adding the name of the respective ore to it like this mod did:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30804/?

i think i used that one in my merged mod but instead of keeping its naming scheme like so:

Embershard Mine (Iron)

i changed it to something like

Embershard Iron Mine

(vanilla would just be Embershard Mine)

what do you think of that idea?

Thanks for taking up my suggestion. though i think adding labels to deposits would get a bit overwhelming (or at least tedious for you :D). i was in fact talking about mines and adding the name of the respective ore to it like this mod did:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30804/?

i think i used that one in my merged mod but instead of keeping its naming scheme like so:

Embershard Mine (Iron)

i changed it to something like

Embershard Iron Mine

(vanilla would just be Embershard Mine)

what do you think of that idea?

That's not a bad idea, but it's not for the Skyrim Map Markers mod due to what purpose my mod has and that's not to change the name for vanilla map markers.

Finally, can I get to work with the first converted version of the Skyrim Map Markers mod for Skyrim SE. :D

However, I'll soon release the Skyrim Map Markers 1.4 version (the 1.3 version is the last version with the orignal mod name) and at the same time also release the Skyrim Map Markers SE 1.0 version.

After that I'll release the 1.5 update for the Skyrim Map Markers LE and then bumping up the Skyrim Map Markers SE 1.0 to 1.5.

So both mods will have the same version number, but with a different mod name e.g Skyrim Map Markers LE and Skyrim Map Markers SE.

Just to avoid confusing, so make sure you use the correct game version (Skyrim LE or Skyrim SE) for Skyrim.

FYI  After I launched the SSE-CK and notice the black screen glitch, I decided to postpone my conversion of Skyrim Map Marker to SSE until Bethesda have fixed certain things in both the CK and in the game.

The loadorder bug needs to be fixed and probably a few things, e.g how the masters are listed via the Open button when loading Skyrim.esm plus another esp, in the CK as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Earlier today I manage to convert the Skyrim Map Markers mod to SSE and right now I'm testing it.

Which is gonna to take some time due for having to visit over +130 new map markers I have added into the game and I've only discovered a few locations.

• 5 weeks later...

I thought to share with you, not only the 1.4 version, but also a converted Skyrim Map Markers 1.0 mod plus the mod are now uploaded at Bethesda.net.  Enjoy, see you next year.  A Happy New Year 2017 !!!  :celebration:  :partyhorker: 

I finally finish updating my mod and the first post has the details.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I don't know if my mod does that, but it sure make it more interesing to explore more of Skyrim.

• 5 months later...

I have almost finshed my final *major* update for SLE and the only thing there is left to do is to add at least one map marker for SSE (after being converted to SSE) before converting it to PS4 since they cannot use USSEP due to Sony's modding policy.

However, I need to ask the nice people here who happen to know where in-game the player can find a Malachite ore vein, aside from the one on the Throat of the World, and the Moonstone ore vein.

zilav posted a picture for the Moonstone ore vein, but it is hard to just look at the picture then trying to find the location(s) in the CK.  It's almost as trying to find a needle in a haystack.

These are the only two mineral ore types I want to find, just to add a map marker for each of them in the CK.

CK has "Use Info" for any object, you need to check that info for ore veins.

Also if you run Worldspace Browser script yourself, it will show cursor worldspace coordinates in the status bar, and you can right click on any point in the map and it will show the cell(s) there with ability to select them in xEdit.

4 hours ago, zilav said:

CK has "Use Info" for any object, you need to check that info for ore veins.

Ah, I didn't know.  Thanks for the tip. :)

4 hours ago, zilav said:

Also if you run Worldspace Browser script yourself, it will show cursor worldspace coordinates in the status bar, and you can right click on any point in the map and it will show the cell(s) there with ability to select them in xEdit.

I tried to follow the picture you posted in the other thread, but TBH it was hard to find two Moonstone ore veins and I only found one Malachite ore vein at the top of the Throat of the World in the CK.

For instance, the Moonstone ore veins that were supposed to be more than two in the Southern region near the border to Cyrodiil, it was almost impossible to find them in the CK and I even check it in-game in both SLE and SSE.

I only found one ore vein each for both Malachite and Moonstone.  Besides, I'm almost done with my update and quite frankly I think I am gonna to skip the other ore veins due for having a hard time finding them in the CK.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions and comments. :)

After I have struggled a lot on Nexus to upload my mod there, I decided not to upload any mod on Nexus (their upload wizard really sucks) in the future.  Period! :wallbash: