A few questions about Fallout 4

Elgar

Hi guys,

Nice to see you're still here, loyal and always on the job ! :) I finally got my new rig which should allow me to enjoy Fallout 4 (i7 6700k, GTX 1070, 16GB of RAM). I didn't follow the FO4 scene these last months, so I have a few questions, if you don't mind :

- Is it just my impression or the FO4 modding scene is not very active ? I couldn't find great and interesting mods, except the Unofficial Patch of course. (I just checked the Nexus site, not the Bethesda one, I don't know if it makes a difference.)

- I remember that it wasn't advisable to install Skyrim mods created before the release of the Creation Kit on February 7th, 2012. I suppose that the same rule applies to FO4 mods uploaded before April 26th, 2016 ?

- Plugins needed even for simple meshes and textures replacers, really ?

- Achievements disabled when using mods, really ?!?

- On almost every mod's installation instructions, it is explained that it's mandatory to add these lines to Fallout4Custom.ini in Documents\My Games\Fallout 4 :

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

As I don't like to edit default inis, is it really needed, and why ?

These are the first questions that came to my mind. Thank you by advance for your comments. Oh, and a huge thank you, of course, for the Unofficial Patch ! I'll try to contribute by submitting bug reports.

If you have advices for a FO4 noob, feel free to comment !

P.S. I don't have any DLC for now, I will decide to buy them or not after playing the main game some time, I'm still not sure I will like it as much as I liked Skyrim.

Hi guys,

Nice to see you're still here, loyal and always on the job ! :) I finally got my new rig which should allow me to enjoy Fallout 4 (i7 6700k, GTX 1070, 16GB of RAM). I didn't follow the FO4 scene these last months, so I have a few questions, if you don't mind :

- Achievements disabled when using mods, really ?!?

Sounds like a good system. I hope you enjoy it :D

There is a mod that reenables the Achievements with mods installed. I'm not sure of the name though. It's probably in the top 25 FO4 mods on Nexus though.

As for your other questions, I'm not sure. I haven't even installed the CK for FO4 myself. 

You're not entirely wrong about the activity levels in the FO4 community. Though I think for now it can be attributed to the long delay on getting the CK out.

Yes, I would suggest avoiding too many mods which were uploaded before the CK came out and haven't been updated afterward. Even in the case of TES5Edit there was some important data that wasn't being preserved that the game needs to handle worldspace data properly.

Plugins are how things are intended to work, yes. Loose files are being actively discouraged and IMO nobody should be packaging that way. That's part of why people took to using cheap ini hacks to get around it. It will only cause the same headaches it did for Skyrim though.

As far as DLC, Automatron and Far Harbor are worth the money. The 3 workshop based DLCs likely aren't. Which leaves Nuka-World, which from all indications will be worth it. Season Pass buyers who didn't get in early got burned basically. Bethesda should know that folks want more meat in their DLC and not just cake :P

Thank you for your answers. :)

As for the achievements, I found another mod which doesn't require F4SE and is version independent : Achievements Mods Enabler by xSHADOWMANx. It seems reliable, and the author has published the source code.