"The Slog" Beds not able to be scrapped/moved

Rorax

It would be super cool if you could work your magic with the beds at The Slog
The title outlines the specifics really but to reiterate the beds that are already at The Slog are not interactable in workshop mode after the player has claimed the The Slog, they still count -as what I can only assume- as not being owned by the settlement.

• 1 month later...

It is debatable whether or not the pre-placed beds at settlements were intended to be interactable. To add to the confusion, configurations of individual workshops are inconsistent: some have all pre-placed beds set up as interactable while others have none. It is not even clear therefore whether the situation at The Slog  counts as a bug.

To configure an object for interaction in workshop mode, it only needs a WorkshopObjectScript and a link to the workbench (note that this is also what makes an object scrappable). The link is to make sure that the object is recognized as workshop-owned; if it is missing, the scripts will not know about it and it will never appear in the stats. The script provides the functionality for carrying out various actions such as moving, scrapping, damaging, repairing, etc. When either the script or the link is missing, various errors occur:

• a missing link will break the functionality of WorkshopObjectScript: you seemingly can interact with it in workshop mode, but your attempts at manipulating it will have no effect (i.e.are never carried out). Instead, errors are thrown on the papyrus log.
  • a missing script will break assignment of the respective resource to settlers:  this does not only affect assignment of the object in question but the assignment of all objects of this resource type. For example, if there is one bed at a workshop that is missing the WorkshopObjectScript, bed assignment at that workshop will break entirely.

Basically, we need to to check each workshop and decide on a case-by-case basis whether the beds are mis-configured or intentionally not interactable.

At Bunker Hill, for example, all beds had scripts and workbench links except for one that had a link but no script (and as a result, bed assignment never worked), so this was very clearly a bug (and has been fixed in a previous version of UFO4P). It's not always that obvious though.

• 2 months later...

The default mattresses at Tenpines Bluff count toward the settlement beds but you cannot scrap or move them. If they count toward the limit IMO you should be able to do as you please with them. I kind of mentioned my annoyance with this in the tracker by way of a related bug, so just adding my 2 cents to the conversation here...

• 2 weeks later...

The default mattresses at Tenpines Bluff count toward the settlement beds but you cannot scrap or move them.

They actually don't. If you have, say, 20 settlers and build 20 new beds that are all sheltered, the two non-sheltered pre-placed ones will not count. When happiness values are calculated, the code simply compares all available happiness bonuses (i.e. available food, available water, sheltered beds) to the number of settlers. It does not consider the individual situation of each settler though (i.e. whether or not one of the settlers is currently using a non-sheltered bed will have no consequences as long as there are at least as many sheltered beds as there are settlers).

I'm not saying that it doesn't annoy me that I can't scrap them. It does a lot ! It also annoys me that I cannot scrap the ruined houses at Tenpines Bluff and County Crossing, the sofa and trees at Coastal Cottage, the door at Taffington boathouse that opens the wrong way, the double-decker beds at Covenant that cannot be used by any settlers, and pretty much everything at Murkwater construction site and Jamaica Plain (those places should be bombable to level them).

To be honest, there is a very long list of things that annoy me in this game, but there's also much evidence that many of them are intended features. The best way to convince Arthmoor that something is indeed a bug and urgently requires fixing is to provide evidence that it is game-breaking, and most of the time, finding such proof requires some time to dig into the issue.

All pre-placed beds/matresses in any settlement (except the Castle?) count as non sheltered. If you disable these beds and build new ones in the exact same place, the new ones are sheltered. So the pre-placed ones should be sheltered from the start. Could this be a bug?

They actually don't. If you have, say, 20 settlers and build 20 new beds that are all sheltered, the two non-sheltered pre-placed ones will not count.

Well, I don't know about that, that may be.

But originally I had 2 settlers and I built 2 sheltered beds for them. The system displayed this as 4 beds = 2 beds I made, plus the 2 mattresses.

In that case, the 2 default mattresses DID count toward the total.

Furthermore, I assigned the settlers to the new beds, but they would not sleep in them - they only slept on the mattresses.

So there's multiple factors at work, and it is still a problem.

Now I have something like 7 settlers at that settlement, with assigned beds for all of them. The count is still +2, and settlers will still sleep on mattresses instead of assigned beds.

Bottom line, those mattresses really should be scrappable.

(Honestly, the entire shack should be scrappable. I can build perfect concrete forms and a ton of other stuff, but I can't tear down a dink little shack?)

By the way, I don't use mods, so that any results when reporting bugs will not be contaminated.