POLL: What to do with my Nord Mead Brewery mod...

DSoS

10 members have voted

1. 1. Crafting Mead (Takes many steps to create, including ordering ingredients and items)

• Keep player beer making in (lots of scripting still needing done)
    • Remove player beer making (still has scripting for "sales")
  2. 2. How will the player acquire the Meadery?

• Have player buy meadery (player buys it from a sign)
    • Full quest line with NPC barkeeper selling. (No idea about questing stuff)

Okay, my Nord Mead Brewery mod has been sitting for months now, mainly with scripting issues and a quest line that hasn't even been started yet... 

post-3051-0-16984000-1469324718_thumb.jpg

The scripting is a PITA for this mod due to the 5 or 6 different elements required to do everything.

The quest line stuff, I just don't understand.

So please vote in the poll below. Hopefully you understand the choices.

#1 and #4 are just separators, for the main poll questions...

post-3051-0-76024500-1469324716_thumb.jpg

post-3051-0-43149600-1469324716_thumb.jpg

post-3051-0-44872100-1469324717_thumb.jpg

Thank You!

Looks good!

Just curious with playing crafting beer: do you intend to include movie animations of various parts of the process?

Think mining, crafting, cooking clips and the like.

Google is not telling a lot about how the bink files are generated. Has anyone tried it?

Cam Cut-Scene

Importing custom videos

Ancient NifTools question Making Cutscenes and Animations

Fallout has a couple of camera functions, but documentation is thin.

I voted for "Keep player beer making in..." and "Full quest line...". However, I think you should put the quest line stuff on ice and just concentrate on the rest (i.e. use the buy method for now). Otherwise you're just going to get swamped.

Ok, since I'm the only one who voted "Remove player beer making" maybe the question needs to be asked...

What is the intent here?

"Player making beer" sounded to me like I will have to run around my brewery adding ingredients to pots and pushing buttons and pulling levers to get a product. Ok, cool, sounds like fun ... maybe once or twice. :X If I have to make the beer to make the sales to make the money I have no time to go save Skyrim!

"Remove player making beer but still have sales" sounded like the better choice (to me) that the brewery will run hunky dory on it's own and I still make money.

Am I wrong?

In a well designed mod, there's certainly a possibility to employ someone who will then run around and pull the levers for you. Your spouse could finally be useful ...

Hana

You are not the only one who voted "Remove player beer making" I did that too.  I also voted for the quest line for a NPC.

As for quest stuff, I know that exist a few locations in-game that could be a quest objective e.g Nilheim, Broken Oar Grotto (Iast night I had fun clearing out that cave without knowing there were a couple of quests pointing to that cave) and I think there is 2-3 more locations to be a quest location.

Anyway, play a little and check around for more stuff in-game that could fit for a quest line, no need to rush off and make a quest(s) without some thoughts and ideas for each quest in a quest line.

Looks good!

Just curious with playing crafting beer: do you intend to include movie animations of various parts of the process?

Think mining, crafting, cooking clips and the like.

Google is not telling a lot about how the bink files are generated. Has anyone tried it?

Cam Cut-Scene

Importing custom videos

Ancient NifTools question Making Cutscenes and Animations

Fallout has a couple of camera functions, but documentation is thin.

No, I've got a Brewers guide I worked on, with images included. Just have to find the old images of everything again and finish them and the book.

Ok, since I'm the only one who voted "Remove player beer making" maybe the question needs to be asked...

What is the intent here?

"Player making beer" sounded to me like I will have to run around my brewery adding ingredients to pots and pushing buttons and pulling levers to get a product. Ok, cool, sounds like fun ... maybe once or twice. :X If I have to make the beer to make the sales to make the money I have no time to go save Skyrim!

"Remove player making beer but still have sales" sounded like the better choice (to me) that the brewery will run hunky dory on it's own and I still make money.

Am I wrong?

The Mead sales is done behind the scene. The player won't have to continually craft mead for the brewery, it'll run on it's own. I'm hoping that I can get NPCs to seem like they are turns valves and the various steps.

The crafting part comes in two flavors 1) Normal Mead and 2) a special secret mead that you'll have to find out how to make.

If the player is brewing their own, it'll take a few days to complete... This won't stop normal operations either.

There are quite a few steps involved, but they are simple. Basically turn a valve and wait a few seconds for X to happen.

Hana

You are not the only one who voted "Remove player beer making" I did that too.  I also voted for the quest line for a NPC.

As for quest stuff, I know that exist a few locations in-game that could be a quest objective e.g Nilheim, Broken Oar Grotto (Iast night I had fun clearing out that cave without knowing there were a couple of quests pointing to that cave) and I think there is 2-3 more locations to be a quest location.

Anyway, play a little and check around for more stuff in-game that could fit for a quest line, no need to rush off and make a quest(s) without some thoughts and ideas for each quest in a quest line.

The quest I should have explained it more, sorry.

The quest, isn't for "go to x-location and finding y". It's there just to step the player through the process of finding out why the Brewery is for sale, which will be quite short actually.... I could probably do it with scripting alone, but having a journal entry would be nice though.

Ok, sorry, I'm still not clear on Player Making Beer and not making beer..... I don't understand the intentions here.

Player Making Beer: The crafting is there for you to get a large number of mead for your enjoyment/use. The brewery will still operate normally if you are making your own (Sales will still continue)... Instead of running around to find Mead, you craft your own.

(This came about when I was using Hunterborn, iirc, and never being able to find enough Mead to make dragon/mammoth steaks)

Player NOT making Beer: Say if don't care to craft mead, you don't have to.. you don't even have to go back after buying the brewery to make money. The "NPCs" will do it all.... All the vats and everything else would be for looks only.

-------------

When you are crafting your own, you have to order supplies to make said Mead. Which is a slight cost, but it makes it in bulk. Several hundred bottles I think each time.... The steps in crafting mead:

1) Player order supplies (3 different Order Ledgers)

2) Player wait for supplies (1 day)

3) Supplies are delivered

4) Player picks up supplies from crates

5) Player turns valve to add water to vat

6) Player adds ingredients to vat

7) Player waits 3 days

8) Player Empties Vat to fermentation vat and wait for 1 day

9) Player sends completed Mead to bottling machines

10) Player bottles Mead (100 bottles per action)

That's the basic route of the normal Mead. This doesn't count for any "special" mead either.

Player NOT making Beer would remove all these steps and they wouldn't have to do anything further. (edit... Basically, just another building with NPCs walking around randomly)

No, I've got a Brewers guide I worked on, with images included. Just have to find the old images of everything again and finish them and the book.

<snip>

The quest I should have explained it more, sorry.

The quest, isn't for "go to x-location and finding y". It's there just to step the player through the process of finding out why the Brewery is for sale, which will be quite short actually.... I could probably do it with scripting alone, but having a journal entry would be nice though.

I see.  I bet you have already read this quest tutorial at the CK-wiki, but if you haven't done that yet then I suggest that you do that or watch these videos. :)

If you still want to have a small quest then make it simple and it could be almost anything, perhaps a recipe was recently stolen or a worker was kidnapped and the player is directed to a specific location to kill every bandit there (similar to the HF quest the player needs to do in order to purchase a land deed from the Jarl of Falkreth before starting to build Lakewiev Manor).