[RELz] Oblivion DLC Delayers

Arthmoor

Hi

Great good to know abut the filter patch approach, Very nice. 5 months back and I'm starting to get my legs again and can converse somewhat intelligibly on these topics again. For certain I have the mod merged into bashed patch and merged AFTER PrinceSchroob's in the load order, so it should win the rule of one kind of thing. Scripts being the wildcard of course.

Well what I think is happening is that in his mod you arrive by ship and all it says in the readme is that it delays the DLC until after the character is created via scripts, Folks already posted how to prevent that, It serves no purpose other than breaking other DLCDelayers, which is as close to mod irony as I can imagine considering the scope of his mod.

There is a similar problem with Frostcrag Reborn which got an update recently, It claims to be isolated from the DLC ... if I'm using that nomenclature correctly. But it still feeds the DLCfrostcrag Deed as soon as it loads, so if you already have started a game it give you the deed and even if starting a new game - you get it.

so those are the two I know this doesn't work with. and so take this as an FYI ...  not your mods issue.

Froscrag Reborn I could understand because if it edits the DLC startup script then it will clobber the edits the DLC Delayers mod sets up if it happens to be loading in the wrong order.

Shroob's alt-start mod doesn't touch any of those DLC scripts at all though so it's impossible for his mod to have any impact on it outside of possibly his Knights of the Nine extension for it. KOTN doesn't spam startup notices to begin with though and all my delayer does for it is set a fame target before the rumors begin.

I guess I'm gonna have to run a setup with his alt-start mod in place and see what happens but just in looking through it I can't see why it would do anything unexpected.

Well what happens is you do the chargen on a ship after choosing all your options and you get deposited onto your arrival, a port city mostly. Then the delay on the DLC is over and they all get fed to you.

Seemed to happen with other DLC delayers too. not just yours ... SM too if you read the comments on his page.

thanks for looking

Then I really don't get how that's happening because all of my delayer checks are aware of Charactergen stage 88 and they add additional checks for my own initialization variable. They aren't simply "delaying" them strictly speaking. They're starting them in alternative ways.

And again, his scripts have no logic in them to affect the DLCs because they have no dependencies on them.

I guess I really do need to see wtf is going on. :P

Likely I'm not going to use his mod, so keep that in mind. I was more or less reporting.

What I'm looking for, as stated, is a mod combo that leads to no main quest. I dislike it immensely, it feels like Bethesda spent all their bank on creating this great sandbox then shoehorned this main quest with drab and disappointing dungeon crawls to close gates. Yuck. I want to play stuff I haven't like all the new quest mods that have come out or I never played before.

The emperor alive I see as essential from a lore and story perspective. So with that in mind here are what I see as the essentials for a main quest remover (which can also be delayer).

1. Is the emperor alive? If so then the dragon fires are lit and far as I know that means there can't be oblivion gates.

2. If there is an oblivion gate at kvatch then that conflcts and in my book ... is the main quest. I of course recall from the before times when the advice was don't go to kvatch, but it is also true that using other alternate start mods (I've been testing others) is that you can still go to kvatch, still close the gate, Even go into the city without closing the gate, Etc, But I don't think other gates continue to open if that gate is closed? I think finding the heir is what triggers those. I couldn't even find Martin in Kvatch when I did this test .. just yesterday. And in that save game I used an alt start and do not have the amulet nor talked to anyone at weynon priori. I just generated a character and right off went to kvatch.

And apologies to others for being off topic These questions are about mod combos - It would be better suited to place that in the Alternative Beginnings thread.

oh yeah and point three of this requirements for no main quest.

3 who has the amulet of kings. If anyone besides the emperor then the crises is in effect even if mods prevent gates from opening.

Edited by Psymon

• 3 weeks later...

Version 1.0.4

Vile Lair: If the mod was installed after the notices were given to the player, the script that detects when you're near the map marker for Deepscorn Hollow had too large a distance on it. This is the same issue which has been addressed in the Unofficial Oblivion DLC Patches on Bug #32829.