[New Vegas] My main menu has quit working. Help?

JetpackAngel

I've been bitten by the random urge to play New Vegas again. Unfortunately, my "superpower" has struck again, and like many other "unbreakable" things that I've broken, I have no idea what I did, it's just borked. Specifically, I launch the game, I get the opening splash screens, and when I get to the picture of the NCR Ranger, instead of getting my menu options, it jumps straight into starting a new game, and then crashes after I've okayed all the new game one-offs from mods. Disabling all mods does nothing except launch the new game so fast, I don't even see the NCR Ranger splash. I've told Steam to uninstall and then reinstall everything. I've made copies of all my .ini files and deleted the originals to force the game to make new ones. It's still broken. Checking my FNG4GB.log, the log ends abruptly through the menu checks.

It's been so long since I broke it, I don't even remember what I was doing at the time, I just remember that it worked fine one day and then the next day it didn't, and I haven't been able to play it since. I can't think of anything else to do and I'm out of ideas.

Are you using any UI mods? I believe I had this issue before too and that was the key.

I'd start from total scratch in this case unfortunately. 

It's been so long since it was functional, I'm trying to remember what I was doing before I broke it. I'm thinking there was something about my weather mod having an MCM, but it not working for me, so I was trying to make it work...? I guess that could be it. So this means I need to have Steam reinstall AGAIN (at no more than 500kpbs) and then run through and have FOMM reinstall all my fomods in the right order so they do the correct edits?

I would suggest testing the game itself once you've purged EVERYTHING including old saves and your ini files along with the game itself and the mods. If the game doesn't run, installing the mods will be futile.

Once the game is known to work, install mods a little bit at a time and see if it breaks. If it does, it's one of the mods and you need to narrow it down and throw the bad one away.

*bangs head against wall* While I'm re-downloading ALL THE THINGS, I decided to see if the FO4 DLC that I paid actual money for is any good. And it won't run. I mean, I can launch the game, but if I try to start a new game or load my old save, it CTDs. And it still does after I googled, downloaded the Bethesda Archive Extractor, extracted all the DLC strings, and then gave up and un-activated all the DLC with Wrye Flash. I cannot run the base Fallout 4 game by itself. WHY. I DIDN'T EVEN DO ANYTHING. *thud thud thud thud*

Don't extract stuff out of the official files. That's only going to make things worse.

I only went along with it because Wrye Flash says "Can't launch, missing strings." And now I've deleted those, and they're red in WF again, and I'm going to have Steam verify local content again and then sit in the corner and hug my knees because apparently just being too close to my computer makes things break.

May I mention, I have not run a single mod for FO4, aside from the aspect ratio fix and a thing that made certain messages a popup instead of a little two-second bit in the corner of my screen. No mods that required a plugin. Between now and the last time I played it (and it ran just fine), the only thing I've done is update it.