FBI and possibly FTC will investigate Valve online gambling

Leonardo

Reposted from BSF

So in the past like two days I've been reading about this.

Lets start off first with what I know.

In the United States of America online gambling is illegal. I know outside of the United States of America like in Europe it's legal.

The next thing is these YouTubers one of em which admitted to it it seems like the FBI is pursuing this with the class action lawsuit one person filed.

Third the Steam Marketplace which allows you to purchase from Counter-Strike: Global Offensive the keys for crates for $2.50 dollars (USD) and then sell on the Steam Marketplace the skins is a form of gambling.

Purchase, sell, purchase, sell.

Now people are asking why not go after the YouTubers and not VALVe, well the FBI seems to be going after both not just one.

What does this mean for the future of VALVe? I don't know I'm scared of VALVe getting hit with a huge fine by the federal government. VAVLe will possibly have to close down the Steam Marketplace because of this.

VALVe was actually ok or so with these online gambling websites. Which might mean big trouble for them because of the FBI now.

Anyways here's more of the news that bbc.com reported on.

www.bbc.com/news/technology-36702905

Interesting, but is this all there is? How much of a gambling component is there in trading anyway? If the estimated value of the contents of the crates matches the asking price, how much variation can be allowed before it is considered gambling? 10% or even 20% seems harmless enough, but any more?

If the contents of the crate are costed according to the game status of purchasing player, then that's something else. If they are not, then it's a gamble. Sounds all right if it is a fair toss of the coin, but who knows?

Interesting, but is this all there is? How much of a gambling component is there in trading anyway? If the estimated value of the contents of the crates matches the asking price, how much variation can be allowed before it is considered gambling? 10% or even 20% seems harmless enough, but any more?

If the contents of the crate are costed according to the game status of purchasing player, then that's something else. If they are not, then it's a gamble. Sounds all right if it is a fair toss of the coin, but who knows?

This is what it's all about:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/mom-takes-on-valve-third-party-trading-sites-alleges-illegal-scheme/

I don't know. Is there an age restriction to buying magic the gathering card booster packs in stores in your country?

I don't know. Is there an age restriction to buying magic the gathering card booster packs in stores in your country?

Heh, back in the late eighties or early nineties, or whenever it was when Magic first became popular, I had some friends who were "investing" in Magic cards. They ended up making about $10,000 on a $2,000 "investment." I didn't know that type of thing was still possible.