Scouting out this Place

mlee3141

Well, I'm looking for a new file host, and this place seems quite nice. Independent, and fast, with no bigger Skyrim projects to overshadow all others. I wonder, how reliable are the downloads and uploads here? Even bigger sites like Google Drive and One Drive like to corrupt downloads halfway on me. Also, how long is this site likely to be up, and what security measures are in place to counter ad-based virus attacks and redirects?

While I'm at it, how does this place make revenue, if any?

Sorry if I'm being inquisitive, but I got burned by the Nexus, Mediafire and Google Drive, so I'm a bit more wary now. Some clarification would be most appreciated!

The only thing that's not so good on AFK Mods is that there is a limited upload quota on AFK Mods, unless Arthmoor has changed that recently.  Here is the discussion about it.  Other than that AFK Mods is a cool place, which is why I visit AFK Mods now and then.

If you're looking for a community site that's similar to Nexus (accept large files), but are much more relaxed and nicer than Nexus then head over to The Assimilation Lab (TAL accept max 6 Gb per upload) and read this about mirroring your mods.

Well, I'm looking for a new file host, and this place seems quite nice. Independent, and fast, with no bigger Skyrim projects to overshadow all others. I wonder, how reliable are the downloads and uploads here? Even bigger sites like Google Drive and One Drive like to corrupt downloads halfway on me. Also, how long is this site likely to be up, and what security measures are in place to counter ad-based virus attacks and redirects?

While I'm at it, how does this place make revenue, if any?

Sorry if I'm being inquisitive, but I got burned by the Nexus, Mediafire and Google Drive, so I'm a bit more wary now. Some clarification would be most appreciated!

Realistically, any decent mod hosting site is going to be a better choice than Mediafire, Dropbox, or Google Drive. That's just an absolutely terrible way to distribute stuff.

Our downloads are pretty reliable considering this is the home of the unofficial patches for 3 of Bethesda's games. Occasionally a bit slow, but I've never seen it corrupt a file.

As for how long it'll be up, who knows. None of us running the smaller sites can really tell you - and even Nexus isn't guaranteed to be here 5 years from now. That said, as long as there's money to pay the bills we'll still be here.

There are no ad based redirects or viruses because we have no ads and I don't intent to ever put any in. We therefore have no revenue stream to speak of.

Ah. I see. Thanks for clarifying.

By itself, yes, pure hosting sites like Google Drive and Mediafire are a really terrible way to distribute mods, but I think that combined with a website/ front like Blogger, then it gets all of the prerequisite info across correctly.

Oh, and I think you guys have a good community here, yet, at the same time, this seems a bit personal. I totally understand that these smaller sites are as much projects of passion as the mods that may be hosted there, with equal expectations on revenue, so respectfully, the file upload limit here is going to be what's making me lean towards The Assimilation Lab right now. Thanks!