[Skyrim] Can't get collision right...

Kesta

Soo, yesterday night, I was like "yay, let's learn how to create new stuffs in Skyrim".

After hours in max managing to create a cube that is supposed to be a dice, watching/reading poorly made tutorials about everything related to exporting and all and all, it's finally here: 

I have a dice, with its own textures and collision and everything. It look like sh*t because my artistic skills are non-existent, but it's still here.

There is however one BIG issue: The collision block crash the game and the CK. This is a 100%

Nifskope nor any of the tools I could find notice anything wrong with the nif. It's just an extremely simple cube with a diffuse and a normal map, a BSX flag, and a bhkCollisionObject that is an exact copy of the NiTriShape geometrically speaking. All of this under a BSFadeNode because that's what the root node is supposed to be for stuffs that can be picked up.

If I delete the whole bhkCollisionObject, it work right (except that the object doesn't have collision in-game).

I checked EVERYTHING against meshes\clutter\dining set\basicplate01.nif which have the same architecture as the one I want. I can't find anything out of place. No complaints from nifskope about anything. But still... CK/Skyrim crash.

Here is the full thing:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar2To0ED7faag4N6vz0CxDJW-Uz4jg

(I know, I just can't texture right... xD)

Any hint about what could be wrong with it ? I'm just completely lost, and I really don't like it.

Edit: The great things about finally deciding to click "Send" when you write this kind of message, is that you enter a "what if I missed a very tiny thing that's actually critical and look like a dumbass" state of mind, and triple-check everything again and again, just in case. Well, I just did...

So, the only proper tutorial (though it lack any kind of explanations) found here : 

have a very small part at 5:00... 3 values under "Unknown 7 Shorts" have to be zeroed. Catch : This entry is actually Unkown 6 Shorts in Nifskope2. But the export from max still have the same 3 values for those 3 spots.

Long story short: Problem solved. But we REALLY need a decent and up-to-date tutorial somewhere about making decent exports with this kind of tricks and all of the others. I really can't find anything natural in the workflow to export nifs from max.

I'm sure Jon can give a good explanation about collision, but I'm not sure what you're saying here...

Looking through a bunch of vanilla clutter items none of them have "the last three values of the array" set to zero. The pop up help for Unknown 7 Shorts just says the fourth and fifth element must be zero.

Sounds like a max exporter issue to me. I'm a Blender user so can't offer any suggestions. I also prefer to use NifUtilsSuite to create collision.

I was kind of clicking everywhere and writing everything I noticed, before dumping all of it in the edit. Not exactly cold-headed :P

After a bit more analysis: 

Yup, that's not the last 3, but the 3rd, 4th and 5th which are edited in the video (the value which isn't unknown anymore in Nifskope2 is the 1st one, not the 7th as I quickly assumed... for no valid reasons). This concur with the tooltip (3rd and 4th should be 0). Look like the tutorial I linked is wrong on the last one, which should be 1 and not 0. Though both values seems to work ok, but better imitate the original skyrim meshes than a random internet tutorial :P

I didn't even look at the tooltip at first, assuming it would be blank because it was about unknown values. I should know better :/ 

Looking at the default values given in the tooltip, those exported by the max plugin are actually Oblivion's default. So yes, this is definitely a max plugin issue. Far from being the only one sadly. I'm still experimenting and discovering a lot of stuffs about all this. Hopefully when I'm less clueless I can at least publish a list all of the exporter issues somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for the answer, seems like this is now sorted.

For anyone who'd use the 3ds max exporter, some known issues I found during this small practice:

- The root node will always be NiNode, even if you select BSFadeNode in the exporter. Convert it in NifSkope if your object need a BSFadeNode as root node.

- The alpha for BSLightingShaderProperty is wrongly interpreted, the value in max is converted into %, so with an alpha of 1 (no transparency), you'll end up with a nif having an alpha of 0.01 (1%). Set it back to the desired value.

- If exporting collisions, the Unknown 6 Shorts values in the bhkRigidBody will be Oblivion's instead of Skyrim's, despite Skyrim being selected in the exporter (this is what this thread was about). Refer to the tooltip to enter proper values.

- I *think* there is something wrong with the Radius property of the shape node used by the bhkRigidBody. Not sure if this is an actual issue.

- The Havoc Col Filter Copy of the bhkRigidBody isn't a copy of  the Havok Col Filter like it is supposed to be. Instead it seem to be the default collision filter.

Ah, well, glad you worked it out. Hey, that's how most of us learn, trial and error. I'm sure this will come in handy for others.