[Skyrim] INI Files

alt3rn1ty

INI Files

Automatically Created Templates

• steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\low.ini ( Launcher Settings Presets - For SkyrimPrefs.ini )
  • steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\medium.ini ( Launcher Settings Presets - For SkyrimPrefs.ini  )
  • steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\high.ini ( Launcher Settings Presets - For SkyrimPrefs.ini  )
  • steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\VeryHigh.ini ( Launcher Settings Presets - For SkyrimPrefs.ini  )
  • steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Skyrim_default.ini ( Skyrim.ini Preset )
  • steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini ( SkyrimPrefs.ini Preset )

Used by the game

• My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini ( Only edited manually or with third party tool )
  • My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini ( Edited by Launcher / In game Preferences / Manually )

Used by the editor

• steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\SkyrimEditor.ini
  • steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini

User Defined Custom

Settings in this type of INI should only include settings that you would normally find in Skyrim.ini file / SkyrimEditor INI file, and will override those settings.

Changes to automatically created INI files are reverted by Steam when validating the local game cache. User defined Custom INI files can be used to prevent this.

Used by the game

My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimCustom.ini

( Settings in this file override the same settings in Skyrim.ini )

Used by the editor

steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\SkyrimEditorCustom.ini

( Settings in this file override the same settings in SkyrimEditor.ini )

Mod Defined

Settings in this type of INI should only include settings that you would normally find in Skyrim.ini file, and will override those settings.

Mod defined INI files should have the same name as the plugin file and are only applied if the plugin is loaded by the game.

Mod defined INI files are automatically uploaded to Steam Workshop.

If there are multiple Mod Defined INI's, which all include the same setting but with different values, then last to load in the Load Order position of the associated plugin determines which mods ini setting wins

Example Files

Skyrim\Data\screenshots.esp
Skyrim\Data\screenshots.ini

Contents of screenhots.ini

[Display]
bAllowScreenshot=1

Load Order example

Skyrim.ini default grass setting
[Grass]
iMinGrassSize=20

Grassmod.esp - Load Order position = 05
Grassmod.ini
[Grass]
iMinGrassSize=75

Bashed Patch, 0.esp - Load Order position = 10 ( Last )
Bashed Patch, 0.ini
[Grass]
imingrassSize=40

Bashed Patch INI setting of 40 for grass will be in effect

--------------------------------------

Related topics :

Anyone wishing to discuss specific useful INI Settings with regards to the Unofficial Patch Project see the [skyrim] Useful INI Settings topic.

All the research that went into Beth INI ( formerly Skyrim Project INI ( linked below ) ) has resulted in THE most researched INI cataloguing I have ever seen for any of the Elder Scrolls series of games, all thanks to S.T.E.P members and recently in particular DoubleYou's determination contributing to the forums WIKI and the SpINI project, proving beyond doubt the validity ( or not ) of all potential edits :

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_INI

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:SkyrimPrefs_INI

Recommended Third Party Tool Beth INI

- Just about everyone has tried to tweak their INI file to get better results than Bethesda. However, most tweaks you will find on the net are completely bogus. 

Adding to this, E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini is also used as template (with its data then overridden by the selected preset according to the right template) for SkyrimPrefs.ini, while Skyim_Default.ini, directly located in the installation folder, is the one used to generate Skyrim.ini

It's also worth mentioning that the built-in editor from the launcher, and the in-game configuration menu, only edit values in SkyrimPrefs.ini. Skyrim.ini can only be modified manually (or with a 3rd party tool).

Also you should precisen that the custom INI file and mod-defined INIs can only override Skyrim.ini, not SkyrimPrefs.ini (this is already said implicitly, but for the sake of clarity :P).

Also, in case anyone is wondering, if two identical INI settings are located in the same file and under the right section, the latest one is the one used by the game:

[Grass]
iMinGrassSize=75
//... some other settings, ... or not, it doesn't matter
iMinGrassSize=40

Will result in iMinGrassSize being 40 for the game. This is a common issue when editing your INI files doesn't work, you usually have a duplicated entry lower in the file (can happen if you manually make stupid copy-paste from other's people INI, or use some crappy 3rd party INI editor sofwares).

:) Good points, will amend the OP shortly ( thats a fair few changes the original wiki page needed, I added a bit of detail too, glad I found the original page was missing now )

Edit : OP Updated to reflect additional information provided by Kesta

Also, in case anyone is wondering, if two identical INI settings are located in the same file and under the right section, the latest one is the one used by the game:

[Grass]
iMinGrassSize=75
//... some other settings, ... or not, it doesn't matter
iMinGrassSize=40

Will result in iMinGrassSize being 40 for the game. This is a common issue when editing your INI files doesn't work, you usually have a duplicated entry lower in the file (can happen if you manually make stupid copy-paste from other's people INI, or use some crappy 3rd party INI editor sofwares).

Reference the duplicated ini edits, I have removed that from the OP

Received conflicting information that the opposite is true ( that setting 75 would be in effect ) - And other than being a user error I cant see there being a genuine use case to duplicate ini edits .. So removed it

I posted this out of my memory. Might be the opposite, but I was pretty sure the last one in the file was the one considered. I'll double-check for various settings whenever I have time and come back to you. Hopefully this is a consistent behavior and I just made a mistake (or the person posting the conflicting informations made the mistake).

That's an scripting exercise (perhaps through MCM): output a file with current ini settings actually being used.