[Skyrim] How merchant inventories are supposed to work?

dAb

When asking what a merchant has got for sale it turns out that his inventory is different from what's inside the actual container buried below the merchant [reacheable by TCL'ing through the ground]. I added items to the container and they do appear in there as intended but they do NOT appear properly in the merchant's inventory. Am I missing something obvious?

From what I've observed, they don't offer everything they have at once. It resets and refreshes every day for variety. Force it by waiting outside the shop for 24hrs (not inside).

It's pretty inconsistent though. Belethor in Whiterun properly shows the items I've added, while Alvor in Riverwood does not. It's confusing the heck out of me.

Oh, they are not leveled items so the player level should not be taken into account.

Also, I've observed that even though I empty the container through either xEdit or the CK, blacksmiths always have at least some low leveled items such as iron shields and weapons. Where on earth are those added? There are no scripts attached to those containers.

Merchants sell anything owned by their services faction. Make sure your container is appropriately owned.

Not sure why this should be the case, neither Alvor's container nor Belethor's are owned by any faction and yet whatever I put in Belethor container appears as intended while in Alvor's does not. So I don't understand why I'd need to assign those containers to whatever faction. At any rate I tried to assign Alvor's chest to the player faction and it didn't change one iota. What am I doing wrong?

Probably the difference between a general merchant and a blacksmith? What are you putting in Alvor's container?

A friggin' torch. But you're damn right, it shows properly in general merchant's inventories and it does not in blacksmith's. It should appear under the MISC section.

WTF I can't spot any difference between those two containers. Since bartenders sell only food there must be a way to differentiate from merchant to merchant, but I have no idea where this is set in the CK.

It's set in their services faction, vendor tab. Usually it points to a formlist of things they can buy/sell - Vendor buy/sell List.

And no, blacksmiths cannot sell torches :P

DANG! It's because the VendorItemsBlacksmith form list doesn't include the VendorItemClutter keyword I've added to the torch. Done it. Works. Tnxkbye.