Skyrim finally out of Beta? [Skyrim Special Edition]

Kesta

Oh wow, this is great. So basically, free graphics upgrade on PC. Let's hope it for once works as easily as Pete makes it look like.

That makes some amount of sense considering that if they weren't, their DLCs would break, and we know they don't like to touch those if they can avoid it. :P

We're still going to have to wait and see on the details though, because he may believe they're generally compatible but there could be some work needed to update them.

ok, i'm seeing no parallax mapping or subsurface scattering here:

Skyrim_2_Full.jpg

guess that settles that.

SMIM is also still needed, lol :D

Let's hope the engine is in fact 64 bit though.

I was hoping they would implement cascading shadow maps (there is speculation they were originally planning this feature for skyrim but cut it) but it is hard to tell from the footage. Actually, I can barely perceive any difference from vanilla in the above screenshot.

Nonetheless, the possibility of further engine improvements besides visuals and receiving it as a separate game free of charge has me very pleased by this announcement.

Happy sad about this. I tend towards Hana on this.

But - uh, more work ahead. Let's plough on, said the fly to the ox. :P

Great. Saturation and imagespaces. And a lot of blur. So much blur...

(Alright, I'll keep my negativity out of this thread. Enjoy, people)

The other day I started to wonder what will happen to those mods that relies on shaders or statics e.g Better Dynamic Snow comes to mind, but there is also Brumtek's SMIM mod that could required a re-saving in an updated CK.

Not to mention all other mods that would require a re-saving in the new CK or perhaps a lot of mods requires to be re-written from scratch.

Not to mention all other mods that would require a re-saving in the new CK or perhaps a lot of mods requires to be re-written from scratch.

I'd be surprised if that's the case, given their latest announcement.  As reported here, Pete Hines tweeted that the new engine will be almost fully compatible with most mods.  SKSE will need to be recompiled for 64 bit but the SKSE team has already said in their official Bethesda thread that they will do this once the new engine is out.  

https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/743170497752371200

Chatting w Todd just now, able to confirm on Skyrim SE for PC:

64-bit

Saves should transfer

Separate creation kit to upload mods to Bnet

I thinks that's enough to solidly conclude mods will all work as expected (other than SKSE needing to wait) and that it'll indeed be a separate instance from 32bit Skyrim so no forced update over the top of it.

From same conversation...

When the SE comes out would we be able to go back to the vanilla version or will the SE replace the vanilla when downloaded?

@DagoraC you can play either

I guess this would further solidify that they'll have separate install folders.

I suppose that isn't too much work. You never know though, they could be sneaky and not tell us everything.

Since they are obviously doing groundscaping, do we have any contacts to arrange adding all the USLEEP terrain and object fixes? Those would be really easy to update, no thought involved.

Even more important, quest and package fixes?!?! Of course, those require more thought....

I'm not sure what object fixes you're referring to, but terrain (landscape records) are not something we're going to edit since they cause too many compatibility issues down the line and end up making a bigger mess out of things than other stuff.

Everything else is basically USLEEP as usual. Why would anyone think differently with no technical details available yet?

Wait, you guys are expecting they may add bug fixes to the special edition? O.o

Bahahahaha :D

Agreed. We could start taking bets on this though. One for adding bugs and the other for fixing bugs. :P

Thats the only reservation I have about the remastered version, it will still need a thoroughly checked out USLEEP for compatability + It will probably come with another raft of CK introduced problems

If it came with all the USLEEP fixes done, and no new bugs introduced ... I think I can safely say "on that day I will eat my hat" without fear of having to actually do that :D

Still looking forward to it though.

I'm not sure what object fixes you're referring to, but terrain (landscape records) are not something we're going to edit since they cause too many compatibility issues down the line and end up making a bigger mess out of things than other stuff.

Everything else is basically USLEEP as usual. Why would anyone think differently with no technical details available yet?

I understand that USLEEP doesn't move the landscape. I didn't say landscape. Heck, I wrote that Bethesda is doing "groundscaping" in the video.

By "terrain and objects", I meant "Placement/Layout/Ownership and other World Object Fixes" – no-brainer stuff to copy out of USLEEP – that will otherwise need to be re-checked for USLEEP to ensure that Bethesda didn't adjust the landscape or otherwise conflict.

Wait, you guys are expecting they may add bug fixes to the special edition? O.o

Bahahahaha :D

I'm the DayDreamer, I can dream.... :D

By "terrain and objects", I meant "Placement/Layout/Ownership and other World Object Fixes" – no-brainer stuff to copy out of USLEEP – that will otherwise need to be re-checked for USLEEP to ensure that Bethesda didn't adjust the landscape or otherwise conflict.

Let's hope that isn't necessary. It would be madness to go back and check every single plant, tree, and so on again. :fear:

Just search for "thickets" or "shrubs" in the change log and you'll know what I mean. That alone is a heck of a lot of references that have been corrected.

I don't know if they're going to edit existing plants and stuff, but the video did show new ones having been added to Riverwood at least. So we know they've likely done some additional minor detail work. The extent of which is unknown right now.