Skyrim finally out of Beta? [Skyrim Special Edition]

Kesta

I considered the rumors stupid and completely irrelevant, but Todd just announced a visual overhaul for Skyrim. 10 - 28 - 2016.

https://youtu.be/pF2Qw9BI6Rg?t=3m7s

Hopefully 64bit OS and dx11/12 support. My best hope is for the lightbulbs count. Otherwise, features look like enbseries mid-quality presets, except for new snow and water shaders I'm pretty exited about if this is really what I think it is :)

Obviously, Beth.net mod platform, so our lovely ps4 and xb1 neighbors can enjoy mods as well (and in the meantime, start spamming the Nexus with request... you know it's going to happen :P )

The question being... price ?

Well, at least it's confirmed. No more painful speculation. We know it's coming :P

I would have to assume since it's got all those features only DX11 can do that it's going to be a proper 64bit/DX11 remaster. DX12 would be pushing things since barely 15% of the market even uses Windows 10 and as far as I'm aware neither of the two consoles support it either.

Now, here's the real kicker: https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/742194847101095936

If you own #Skyrim and all its add-ons or own Legendary Edition on Steam, you'll get a free upgrade to Skyrim Special Edition on Oct 28 #BE3

We don't have to pay for it :P

If it is a 64-bit version, will mods be able to be ported over? What about USLEEP? Etc. Or do we even know enough at this point to make an educated guess?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I do not know much about the technical details.

We don't know enough. Only what Todd said during the E3 post show interview. Textures will be higher resolution than even the official hi-res pack. So there's definitely going to be quite a bit of improvement to look at which is likely to invalidate at least some USLEEP work.

Absolutely pure speculation here, but if they go with the precombination/previsual system from Fallout 4 we'll be looking at having to throw out a hell of a lot of work that simply can't function under those conditions in the mesh department. I seriously doubt they'll use that though because it'll also invalidate every single mod ever due to the changes in records that would require.

OK, next major item on the agenda: If Skyrim Special Edition will be on the 64-bit engine (which seems likely), I assume it will have all the new FO4 engine issues as well (while obviously fixing the old engine's issues). I seem to remember reading about some major issues with mod-added meshes...

Time for me to go reread that thread.

Edit: OK, after re-reading it seems like that is a fairly big issue that may affect a lot of Skyrim mods. It is mentioned that not all of the issue is intended behavior and some issues will be addressed in an upcoming patch. I guess we will have to wait and see what the FO4 patch regarding this issue actually does.

Edit 2: Nevermind, I reread what you previously posted above. My mind is at ease...for now. This is what happens when I get too worked up. I fly off in 100 different directions. :-P

I'd rather see FO3 and FNV remastered, but that would be pretty weird to announce so soon after releasing FO4.

I think this is happening because they tried uprating the Skyrm engine to 64-bit to prep for FO4, and they're going back and polishing off that internal Skyrim x64 for this.

I think this is happening because they tried uprating the Skyrm engine to 64-bit to prep for FO4, and they're going back and polishing off that internal Skyrim x64 for this.

More likely, they want to:

• capture a market for Skyrim on the PS4 and Xbox One, which have brought in many new players who aren't familiar with TES; and
  • reinvigorate the TES fan base to prepare for a TES6 announcement next year. Bear in mind that Skyrim was previously available on only PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

Going forward, they also want to get the largest of their customer segments, TES players, using Bethesda.net. That's about more than extending product life cycles through mods. Bethesda.net is an "owned" channel through which Bethesda can communicate directly with customers, instead of and/or in addition to using third parties (e.g., media outlets.) Owned media reduces the cost and burden of marketing campaigns; its effectiveness scales with the size of the audience.

I'm just happy that I won't have to buy the game again :). That's nice of them and avoids an uproar within the fan base.

Perhaps they've even fixed some of the bugs for the remaster :P

Though more than likely also some new ones will have sneaked in...

Yeah, I'm happy I'll get it free too. Was thinking if the rumors came true I'd have to pay but that was a nice surprise.

So it's true then, and for free as well I wasn't expecting that. Remains to be seen what is actually is until we get it of course. I'll be turning off my updates to the game just in case for now so others can take one for the team and try it out :P

I don't know if any of you guys are into FPS games but I am much more excited about the brief reveal for a new Wolf game. The last one wasn't a buggy mess so it disproves my theory that every game Beth has a hand in is a bug filled disaster.

I can't speak for Jon, but I think his point is that it will be an entirely different item in your library. You will have access to normal Skyrim as well as Skyrim Special Edition. I.E. it won't overwrite your current Skyrim files.

It's good they're offering it to free for those of us who have the whole game already. Hopefully transferring mods over won't be too much a problem. Ideally Bethesda should have a prelaunch thing for some modders to see what work would need to be done so it's ready when release comes, but who knows what they'll choose. Though they haven't said so explicitly I think it's safe to say that this is a 64 bit version of the game, so maybe we won't have to rely on memory workarounds anymore. I think it's probably just an outgrowth of the in-house version they mentioned once before testing for their purposes.

Of course though, Skyrim modders will have to be careful that their stuff isn't being uploaded by other people in the first week once this thing goes up. I guess a grey area will be those mods that get uploaded that were made by users who are no longer active or otherwise unaware that it's going on. Thankfully it seems most of the popular mods right now have active creators who can keep control of their mods, but still there's going to be instances of this popping up.

I suppose another issue will be people uploading old, broken mods from the early years of Skyrim modding for whatever reason, and end up corrupting save games for console users, or just generally any newcomer unfamiliar with modding.

I am honest, this has me excited a bit, because by all accounts it should be 64 bit for PC as well, since 64bit is what the consoles require.

However, Skyrim out out of Beta? Neeeeeeeeeeeeeever! This will be just like any other typical 0.9beta release they do. Treat this as new release with some updates coming for a while.

Also, whatever they showed off in the video looked still pretty bleak compared to a modded Skyrim - minus the shadows maybe.

The distance view was as crappy as ever :devil:

I can't speak for Jon, but I think his point is that it will be an entirely different item in your library. You will have access to normal Skyrim as well as Skyrim Special Edition. I.E. it won't overwrite your current Skyrim files.

That's awesome that they are doing it that way, especially during the transition period while things are being updated for the new engine. It's also pretty nice of them to provide it for free, if it's a seperate app they could easily have charged for it. I would not have minded paying a few bucks for 64 bit.

I won't be suprised to see lip sync bug there. They can actually introduce more bugs in this remastered version with a very low chance of releasing a single patch afterwards.

I'm a lurker here, but I saw this on the Nexus forums just now and looked it up on Twitter. Skyrim Remastered will be a separate title to download in your Steam Library. This comes from Pete Hines via Twitter.

Screenshot of the tweet behind the spoiler tag.

Screen%20Shot%2006-13-16%20at%2011.08%20

So good for people like me who don't want to mess with their set up and might want to try it down the line at some point. Personally, I wondered if they would do this. I think it's good all around. If you want it, you can have it right off, and if you want to wait awhile and see how it affects mods, then you can.

Edit: Oops. I missed Arthmoor on the thread for the tweet. I'm still assuming it won't affect existing games. Wait and see.

Interesting. They're handling this more delicately than I gave them credit for. If it really is a new game entirely, and won't update/ overwrite the old Skyrim, then I'm swayed. I'll be willing to at least download/ install it, since it is free after all, and hopefully, it'll run on my laptop. Let's hope that it won't break most of the mods for Skyrim already out there!

I dont think I have ever been really excited by any release announcements, looking forward to them yes very much, but not enough to actually shout YEEEES !

I just did :)

The moment was in the video showing NEW WATER SHADERS ... Sooo looking forward to that at least, the rest is all good too

Edit : I'm hoping that means Water Flow will finally be addressed and we dont have the old flowing sideways under the ground river immersion breaking visuals anymore

Edit 2 : Arthmoor, tell them to bang in what they can of USLEEP aswell :D

Oh boy, where to begin?

- called it!

- Totally makes sense, business wise that it's Skyrim. "Nobody" remembers anything older than Skyrim. They already said they started with porting Skyim for XBox One when working on FO4 engine.

- Nice that it's "free" on PC, makes sense if they want to sell it as offering mods on consoles. They need us to deliver those.

- Seems to be running on something akin to FO4 engine. Can't tell if any meshes have been upgraded, though. Would be nice to get parallax and subsurface scattering. (it's hard to tell from the look at the ground textures or stones, and we didn't see any people in the trailer)

- how will we be able to get old mods working? Remaster doesn't look too much off, and during Skyrim's development, the CK was updated to upgrade old esps to never version (o.9x to 1.7x). But i suppose this is just wishful thinking, we might see it again. On the other hand, we have XEdit supporting both Skyrim and FO4. If esp format is not too much off between Skyrim remaster and FO4, what are the chances of an upgrade skript for xedit?

- if we get parallax and subsurface scattering, old meshes and textures will no longer be applicable. Or we get backward compatible shaders, and old meshes will look ugly. meh.

- how many old bugs will return? how many new FO4 bugs will Skyrim remaster inherit?

- Definitely going to buy a new rig this summer :D

- Didn't see VR support for Fallout 4 coming, super hyped

- Back to watching live streams

Hm, maybe I'm the only one not in the least excited about this.

I'm content with how Skyrim is now, I have no complaints about the visuals, I do not use ENB or any graphics enhancers and I find the 2k textures in the HR Texture pack DLC is enough. I obviously do not play on console so could care less about console modding.

I guess I'm more of a story/content gamer. Adding lipstick and mascara to the game doesn't make it any more playable when you've played it for five years.

And yes, this coming from someone who likes to retexture all the things. :P