Nernie's Deleted Navmeshes - How much trouble might they cause?

zedas

So, I'm currently modding up Skyrim (as well as FO3 and FNV, I have a month of free time XD ). I used Nernie's village mods for Oblivion and really liked them, I found she had made one for Skyrim, so it was an immediate download. Nernie's City and Village Expansion I had a quick look at a couple additions and they're once again well done IMO.

I popped the mod into TES5Edit (are people calling it xEdit now?) and to my dismay found it was a bit dirty, and most distressing has a number of deleted navmeshes.

From what I've gleaned in reading a couple areas, this is quite bad? I'm not really up on how navmesh alteration works, so I don't know if a mod author's created navmesh would seamlessly replace the vanilla navmesh that was deleted? Furthermore the nature of the mod means the navmeshes deleted are in well trod areas. I'm fairly concerned about conflicts with other mods in this regard. I'm installing USLEEP(of course), Interesting NPCs, Inconsequential NPCs, and the Civil War Overhaul (among others). I feel those mods all may have a high probability to conflict.

I had a look at Arthmoor's post on fixing deleted navmeshand it seemed that without being the original author and knowing the intention for those particular navmesh areas it would be akin to swinging at a hyperactive piñata whilst wearing the world's greatest blindfold.

So summary is four questions I guess:

Thoughts in general?

Is this going to cause issues?

If so, is it fixable by say a layperson?

Should I just be letting this particular mod go?

I appreciate any input

Cheers

zedas

Don't know the technical stuff but just thought I'd chime in that I've used this mod for a long time on multiple characters without issue.  By without issue, I mean I never crash, ever and have seen no oddities with NPC pathing.  I've used INPC with it.  The INPC blog has a patch for Nernies' Thief Edition but not this mod, and I've never noticed a conflict with the two mods.  Never used Civil War Overhaul.

There is a very lightweight version of this mod on STEP.  They've included it to be compatible with ETAC and a host of other mods.  But I've used it completely on its own when I'm using Arthmoor's villages and it's clean with no deleted navmeshes.  You can find it linked on their Explorer Pack page.  If I remember it just adds the buildings outside Windhelm and Solitude since ETAC covers the other places.

There is a very lightweight version of this mod on STEP.  They've included it to be compatible with ETAC and a host of other mods.  But I've used it completely on its own when I'm using Arthmoor's villages and it's clean with no deleted navmeshes.  You can find it linked on their Explorer Pack page.  If I remember it just adds the buildings outside Windhelm and Solitude since ETAC covers the other places.

I saw that one in my searches for info, alas it deletes most of what I'd be using the mod for to begin with. Unfortunate. 

Deleted navmeshes are bad. Any mods that happen to load after the one doing that and also edit the navmeshes that were deleted is guaranteed to cause a CTD. It's basically one of those things one should never do, primarily because of this, but also because there's just no excuse for it. Editing a vanilla navmesh to fit changes you've made in a cell is perfectly safe - assuming editing it doesn't end up causing unintended deletions to happen.

It's something that absolutely needs to be fixed by the author. Users should never be expected to deal with this considering it's such a fundamental mistake.

Deleted navmeshes are bad. Any mods that happen to load after the one doing that and also edit the navmeshes that were deleted is guaranteed to cause a CTD.

So a conflict like this one then has a good chance to CTD?

p6rbHok.jpg

In my experience that conflict is guaranteed to trigger one as you approach the area affected by it. You can band-aid fix that by moving 3DNPCs.esp in front of Nernie's mod in the load order, but Nernie's mod really needs to be the one to get fixed ultimately.