mod suggestions

Drakemasta

yo yall 

after nearly 6-7 months of modding skyrim both using other peoples mods and making/working on other peoples mods (more just merges for my own mods) i got a little curious as to what mods others have seen and would recommend.

so im posting it out there. what mods would you recommend and why? (please just keep it to a handfull cause theres a ton of good mods out there.)

basic mods (ones everyone should start by getting)

skse - its a framework mod that allows a greater detail of mods to work in your pack.

fnis (fores new idles for skyrim) - its a another framework this time for animations.

xp32 maximum skeleton - its again a framework mod that both fixes some movements in the base character and allows for new animations to be added.

skyrim patch legendary edition - (or the individual dlc's patches) this mod aims to partially restore some of the removed content and fix many surface bugs in the game.

calientes beautiful body edition - (or any body mod for that matter just keep in mind what one you use because it will dictate the armors you use) this is a mesh/texture mod for the characters in skyrim both player, npc.

skyui - this is a framework work that allows mods to create ingame menues and reworks the menus (there is also a skyui-away wich reverts the menu changes

well now that some of the base mods are shot down im gonna give my personal few mods i would go grab.

cbbev3 remodeled armor - its a very skimpy set of armor that can be a replacer or additional sets for the base game.

sos (shlongs of skyrim) - i dunno about other people but if im gonna strip a corpse i wanna take everything, the dead need no decency just keep in mind this will make it so the men junk shows.

bandit raids - ever get anoyed with the guards complaining about it been a while since the last bandit raid well heres your fix, this mod spawns periodicly a bunch of bandits at the holds capitals to slaughter (it also adds mercenary guards to help the 2-3 guards defend)

private squad - this follower mod adds 4 followers that each transform (both naturally and force triggered via spell)

extensible follower framework (EFF) - this mod is a framework mod that allows you to recruit many followers to your team.

Moving this over to the discussion area. Mod recommendation lists are not generally considered "knowledge base" type issues.

These days SKSE is a-must-have mod, no question about that, along with SkyUI and Arthmoor's Live Another Life (LAL) mod plus the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (the unified USKP aka USLEEP).

After that I think people probably want to use mods based on what preferences a player have and I can only speak for my self.  I use USKP instead of USLEEP, because I don't like Dawnguard and USLEEP requires all 3 DLC to be active.

I often use Arthmoor's mods in my game e.g Ars Metallica, Open Cities Skyrim (OCS), LAL and these mods always end up in my loadorder since I can't play Skyrim without these mods.

The other mods I use is Amazing Follower Tweaks (AFT), CBBE, Fliggerty's Barrels and Crates (I think this is his only mod for Skyrim) and SpiritTreasure's Proper Leather Armor replacer (I can't play Skyrim without her replacer).

Another replacer I use is this and I highly recommend these mods for Breezehome.

Breezehome Firepit Removed

Breezehome Loft Crafting

thanks arthmoor.

first ive heard of the proper leather armor replacer tho i have seen similar ones. the breezehome mods i use a different mod to get similar effects  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11158/? it easily doubles if not tripples the size of the standard breezehome plus it adds a enterance to the outside of town.

Aside from patches, skse, etc., one must have for me is The Choice is Yours.  I don't do most of the quests, especially daedric quests, and rarely join any of the factions.  Having quests in my journal that I'll never do drives me batty.  Hand-in-hand with that is Timing is Everything.  Like Leonardo, I don't like Dawnguard but do own it so I just use the slider to disable Durak from stalking me from town to town, along disabling with the Solstheim Miraak-related quests.

My tastes are more simple and conservative, so I use the Breezehome Firepit Removed as well.  I use all of Nernie's mods, which overhauls some towns, and adds player homes, merchants and useful items.  And I use pretty much everything by FranklinZunge for armor replacers and new clothes.  For body style I use either vanilla or CNHF2.5.   With either of these I can use all UNP armors and the one CBBE item I did like worked fine as well.

what mods would you recommend and why? (please just keep it to a handfull cause theres a ton of good mods out there.)

In addition to the obvious basic bugfixes (e.g., USLEEP, Enchantment Reloaded, Flora Respawn Fix, Violens, etc.) and UI/HUD/map mods (SkyUI, iHUD, Less Intrusive HUD, Warburgs Paper Map) . . .

The one mod I would recommend is Requiem.  Personally, I won't play Skyrim without it.  Why?  Well, as Mandy Patinkin said:  

"Let me explain.

[pause]

No, there is too much.  Let me sum up." 

Requiem brings the old school roleplaying feel back to the TES series and makes Skyrim into the game I wanted it to be from the start.  

In addition to the obvious basic bugfixes (e.g., USLEEP, Enchantment Reloaded, Flora Respawn Fix, Violens, etc.) and UI/HUD/map mods (SkyUI, iHUD, Less Intrusive HUD, Warburgs Paper Map) . . .

The one mod I would recommend is Requiem.

hhhhmmm i use chemistry for my alchemy and harvest overhaul so i dont really have much a problem with flora, tried iHUD didnt care for it. requiem ive seen alot of hype for it but honestly due to the fact the hud doesnt change to add something for its survival improvements i will probily never use it.

i can be forgetfull and really dislike going into my inventory to check weather im hungry or tired or stuff like that so without some hud bar to depict the survival aspects i would forget to check them and probily have them kill me X.X

hhhhmmm i use chemistry for my alchemy and harvest overhaul so i dont really have much a problem with flora,

Howdy partner, like your hat, but I need to clear up some misconceptions here . . . First off, Harvest Overhaul does not fix the vanilla respawn bug that prevents plants from respawning properly -- since the 1.3 patch there has been a bug in the Skyrim engine that it can't 'remember' that plants, mushrooms, nests, and some salmon have respawned, after you reload a save.  So you might go to a place again, see that everything is as it should be (i.e. has respawned), then if you save and reload... poof! it's gone. You have to wait for the cell to reset again. 

The Harvest Overhaul mod won't fix this bug, but it is compatible with Flora Respawn Fix, which does fix the flora respawn bug.

requiem ive seen alot of hype for it but honestly due to the fact the hud doesnt change to add something for its survival improvements i will probily never use it.

i can be forgetfull and really dislike going into my inventory to check weather im hungry or tired or stuff like that so without some hud bar to depict the survival aspects i would forget to check them and probily have them kill me X.X

Second misconception that needs to be cleared up . . . Requiem does NOT add any survival improvements.  None, nilch nada, nichts.  So Requiem is not going to cause any need for additional status bars on your HUD and it won't send you into your inventory to check if you are hungry or thirsty or tired or cold.  

Requiem is a big overhaul that makes a lot of changes to the vanilla game, including doing the same thing as Harvest Overhaul does -- increasing the yield of harvesting plants, as well as preventing random Vampire attacks and giving dragons a "fear" aura so NPCs run and hide instead of doing dragon suicide runs, along with about a bazillion other changes, but Requiem has no "survival" mechanics whatsoever.

Howdy partner, like your hat, but I need to clear up some misconceptions here . . . First off, Harvest Overhaul does not fix the vanilla respawn bug that prevents plants from respawning properly -- since the 1.3 patch there has been a bug in the Skyrim engine that it can't 'remember' that plants, mushrooms, nests, and some salmon have respawned, after you reload a save.  So you might go to a place again, see that everything is as it should be (i.e. has respawned), then if you save and reload... poof! it's gone. You have to wait for the cell to reset again. 

The Harvest Overhaul mod won't fix this bug, but it is compatible with Flora Respawn Fix, which does fix the flora respawn bug.

this was only a partial misconception, because i use harvest overhaul and chemistry i break down junk potions i find and go harvest less ingredients thus decreasing my chances of encountering said bug.

My modlist is a mostly a mixture of STEP and SR:LE, with some other stuff thrown in that I have seen over here @ AFKMods or recommended on Reddit. Hooray for conflict resolution! ;-)