Downvotes as a Systematic Method of Discrimination and Oppression

mlee3141

How did you reach -50 comment karma? LOL

Despite my various controversies over the years, I'm still swimming in +3,250 comment karma.

Stood as an iconoclast against Mod Picker, and barely posted there except to recruit/ announce mod releases. Everyone was in arms against me, since two of the admins there were on the Mod Picker team.

I guess you've got one up on me, I don't even know how to check the karma rating :P

The moderators have done a pretty good job of keeping things sane, but even they can't overcome the hive mind mentality that pervades Reddit. If people want you silenced, you'll be silenced.

• Like 2

In which case we end up with content where folks just basically agree with each other. Which ultimately means the death of the site as it becomes of little interest to anyone.

However, when passions run hot, it is not easy to curb the language. In my case that's easy because of the added advantage of age. :P

I guess you've got one up on me, I don't even know how to check the karma rating :P

1 link karma (LOL)

2,249 comment karma

https://www.reddit.com/user/Arthmoor

In which case we end up with content where folks just basically agree with each other. Which ultimately means the death of the site as it ends up being of little interest to anyone.

Don't dismiss the allure of preaching to the choir, yes men, and groupthink. #narcissism

lol indeed, considering I don't even know how to get it either :P

I don't care. I only wrote that because they tried to gag me. I hate being gagged, especially by people that fit the framework you described.

So just out of curiosity. How does one get link karma, and what does it even do for you?

Holy crap...do you really drag your drama with you everywhere you go?! This shit is getting really old man. Since you decided to drag your drama into the public AGAIN, I suppose I have no choice but to place my response here as well...

---

OK...look. I've been nothing but polite to you in all of our interactions, even when you were accusing me of trying to bring about the destruction of modding, which...man that stings. I have spent my *entire* modding life trying to improve this community. This subreddit, its guides, its weekly and daily discussions, its rule set, its author AMA's, and everything else you see... I built or delegated 90% of it. When I arrived here the subreddit had little/no moderation, no guides or resources, no community activities, no RULES. The moderation team was smart enough to realize they were moving away and asked for new moderators to apply. I ended up taking the reigns and got to work.

It isn't/wasn't easy remaining polite to people accusing me of malicious intent, but I do it because I try to practice what I preach and encourage in this sub. Respect, objectivity, and positivity.

That being said...I'm really tired of the constant swings between "I've decided to grace you with my forgiveness" and "I will rain down fire and brimstone upon your very essence".

So I'm going to say my piece. I sincerely hope you read all of it and take it into consideration instead of firing from the hip out of anger.

---

Generally people that contribute and discuss in this subreddit do not abuse the vote system against others. People upvote what they like and downvote what they don't like. I see the whole picture and this particular sub is really good about not brigading people based on a name.

You came into this place and brought nothing but negativity when you arrived. People didn't like it and you got downvoted. It's really as simple as that. It had nothing to do with favoritism towards Mod Picker and *everything* to do with the atmosphere you created.

Not everything warrants a "tempest" and just because something doesn't play out in your favor doesn't mean it's a broken system. Claiming that a system is "much abused" when you've barely been a part of it is presumptuous at best and rude at worst.

Honestly man, these things are not as grandly epic as you want them to be. This has nothing to do with "being an iconoclast in times of crisis". There was never a crisis. Paid Mods was a crisis. I was in the thick of that shit trying to moderate, putting in triple overtime here, and on various forums, trying to keep things as civil as that mess could have been. It was a crisis that threatened the very fabric of the modding community.

Mod Picker is/was not a crisis. It will either succeed and users will benefit primarily, with the added bonus of mod authors getting less stupid questions, OR it will fail and cease to be. In neither scenario can it bring about a cataclysm of the paid mods proportion.

You getting downvoted to -55 is also not a crisis. It honestly isn't that much compared to the actually toxic users who usually winding up breaking some rules and getting banned.

Like I said...just because you don't like something doesn't make it a "gag" or broken in some way, nor does it make it a crisis to be a bastion of resilience towards.

---

I certainly won't censor you. I didn't get the community's endorsements and votes when the old team asked for a new moderator 4 years ago because I was lucky or because people liked me for absolutely no reason. Nor did I get through being biased and unjust. It was because I didn't start drama, I was always positive, and worked hard to help everyone in every [Help] threads. I treated everyone, beginner and mod author alike, with respect regardless of stature within the community.

Just don't be so negative and don't look at everything you don't like as a grave injustice.

You are free to keep using this subreddit or not. It's entirely your call.