[Fallout 4] Known Engine Bugs

Arthmoor

That seems unusual. Every time I've ever encountered Papyrus doing that, the console wouldn't disable them either due to parent references actually controlling that. Are you sure those don't have some kind of controlling parent reference?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• fireundubh

• zilav

• hlp

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems unusual. Every time I've ever encountered Papyrus doing that, the console wouldn't disable them either due to parent references actually controlling that. Are you sure those don't have some kind of controlling parent reference?

An enable parent would only prevent the object from fading. When disabled, children of enable parents just pop out of existence.

In this test case (Bloatflies in Sanctuary Hills), there are no enable parents, and:

• Disable() via Papyrus: does not disable some references
  • Disable via the in-game console: disables those same references

That inconsistency doesn't make any sense without a Papyrus bug.

As if to rub salt in the wounds, Bethesda did something janky to their forum that caused all the thread links to become invalid. They got renumbered. I fixed the ones I could find again, but links to specific posts were broken beyond repair so I just too those out.

I seriously doubt it's been fixed. Surely they would have said something specific about that given it's a big issue? Also I'm not entirely convinced containers are all at issue anyway. The only definitive way to know is to sacrifice a suit of power armor to see if it bugs out.

Regarding Weapons Dropped By Actors Killed in Combat Never Clean up When Cells Reset:

There is now a developer reply but no ETA on when it will be patched in.

https://community.bethesda.net/thread/13874?start=15&tstart=0 (post 17)

"There's a fix for this now though I'm not sure which patch it will be released in.

Dropped items know about their dropper and the dropper knows about its dropped items. But if the dropper ends up persistent then he can be cleaned up at a time when his dropped item does not exist so he can't clean it up too. Now when the dropped item loads in and tries to find its dropper, if it cannot or if it finds it but its cleaned up, the dropped item will now clean up itself too. This probably won't do anything to clean up any existing lingering dropped items, but it should prevent the problem from increasing in the future.

Player dropped items will not be affected."

Excellent. When they get this officially fixed we'll back out the setting. Now if their forums weren't down :P

Have a problem with FO4 ckit - World Objects, Light - in the Edit Object Window Edit Window is too long.

Can not adjust height nor slider down to end of page. 

This thread is for game engine bugs. CK UI issues have a thread running on Bethesda's site and I already reported this one with the lights there.

• 4 weeks later...

As of Patch 1.6, it appears that two bugs have in fact been fixed:

* The Sprint bug. All known methods I knew of to reproduce this in my game no longer cause it. (also, odd, we didn't have that listed)

* The dropped weapons bloat bug. Confirmed in testing to have been fixed. UFO4P's workaround has been removed and an update will be issued before end of day.

Still no confirmation on power armor reset, but if someone who knows how to reproduce that consistently can try it, maybe they got that one too.

• 4 weeks later...

User Generated ESM Files Load Before Official DLC

This issue is now fixed. Confirmed to have come down with the 1.6.3.0 official patch.

Well. Fix one thing, they break another, in spectacular fashion.

The issue with precombined visuals in cells has gone from stupidly annoying to outright broken. Rather than simply disabling the optimizations in each cell, as of Patch 1.6 it appears as though ANY edits to a precombined mesh of ANY sort cause all of the other references that are in the same cell to stop loading. Not even invisible collision, they just don't load. At all. Which makes this problem substantially worse than it was before. To the point where any mod that touches these things is going to look like a horribly broken mess.

A user reported this to us for the UFO4P at Mystic Pines, where a single edit to such a ref had been done. The entire building was missing along with a huge portion of the nearby freeway bridge. As soon as that edit was pulled out, problem went away. Being flagged as an ESM file did not help either.

Just an FYI on the disappearing buildings issue that cropped up with 1.6. The beta for 1.7 has been confirmed to have fixed that although I'm not sure if the remaining part where the precomb gets disabled has been or not.

Just an FYI on the disappearing buildings issue that cropped up with 1.6. The beta for 1.7 has been confirmed to have fixed that although I'm not sure if the remaining part where the precomb gets disabled has been or not.

Is it possible to test the pending precomb fix during the beta? I know nothing about modding and have no clue if this is feasible or how time-consuming that would be.

There is also a special forum thread just for this latest patch with not too much feedback as of right now so I am not sure if people are aware of it: https://community.bethesda.net/community/fallout/fallout-4/fallout-4-steam-betas

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if the "Power Armor Reset" bug or any of the other outstanding engine bugs mentioned in the OP have been fixed? Just wondering as Beth specifically mentioned the Power Armor Reset bug would be included in a subsequent patch, and that was last May.

I plan on giving FO4 a shot as soon as UFO4P 2.0 is out. It seems like you guys have been quite busy fixing a ton of scripting errors from what I've read in the forums.

Thanks again for making Beth games as bug-free as possible. :-) I wouldn't even think of playing a Beth game without the UP.

Cheers.

The status of all the issues in the OP has not changed as far as anyone knows.

• 1 year later...

Another papyrus bug:

Zero length arrays of object references turn into none arrays on reload.

My script is using two types of arrays that may have zero length at any time, namely script arrays (to be more specific: arrays of workhopObjectScript and arrays of workshopNPCScript) and object reference arrays.  After saving, quitting to desktop, restarting the game and reloading, I started to get errors on the log about failures to call functions on none arrays when everything was fine before saving. Debug sessions showed that this happened when one of the object reference arrays had zero length when saving; after reloading, these arrays had mysteriously turned into none arrays. The debug logs also showed however that this did not occur to the script arrays: they are still zero length arrays after reloading if they had zero length when the save was made.

I have not tested this with any arrays of forms other than scripts and object references yet, so there may be more forms affected than only object references.

It might also be worth noting that the script stores the affected arrays in variables, not in properties, although this actually shouldn't make a difference (once things are getting buggy though, one never knows for sure what matters and what not ....).

1 hour ago, hlp said:

I wondered if that issue was not related to F4SE. Did your test sample was without it ?

Good point. Test run was indeed with F4SE installed.

If this is really an F4SE issue, they should fix it as soon as possible.

I remember it being mentioned as a corrected issue in one of the release then I encountered it again on a later release...

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I'm pretty much convinced now that this iis not an F4SE issue. You might want to have a look at this ticket which we fixed almost two yeras ago:

https://afktrack.afkmods.com/index.php?a=issues&i=20640

In this case, an actor array that should actually have been initialized by the OnLoad() event was mysteriously 'none'. At that time, I had no F4SE running (and it did probably not even exist). I also did not spend any time to investigate why the array was none Just added a sanity check and a line to re-initialize the array if necessary, and that did fix it.

Ok. I wasn't totally sure it was. And since the bug appeared I always added a test for None whenever an array could be null of full of none.

• 2 years later...

So either the old pre-combined bug is back or I'm doing something wrong. I'm having some serious flickering in Sanctuary where walls and roads just disappear and don't have invisible collision. After disabling every mod I, outside of the alternative start and UP, I tried a completely vanilla game with just the DLCs loaded (cleaned of course). I don't have the high-rez texture pack loaded, but I do have the "Season Pass"(?) loaded. Is there an ini setting I need to make/change? This problem is really causing me to tear out what little hair I have left. Oh, I have a gtx 1080ti w/ 11 gigs of RAM and the latest nVidia drivers. This is the first time I've had this issue outside of the Robot DLC. Thanks. Nevermind. I picked up No More Disappearing Act and either it or the ini edits fixed the problem. I'm still curious as to what caused this when this bug was supposedly "fixed".