InsanePlumber

Eh, my experience with almost vanilla NV was pretty mundane in the stability department. Aside from the normal BS random crashes Frankenbryo is known for, it ran fine. Never had an ILS once. So I don't view something like NVAC as essential and neither do all the people who played through without it.

These "crash fixers" are all the same in the end. One way or the other, they're circumventing a condition that would have crashed the game. Letting this happen simply is not wise and there's nothing especially different about NV's version of Frankenbryo that would suddenly make NVAC a reliable option.

7 hours ago, zilav said:

NVAC is essential and must have in fallouts. Unlike Oblivion's crash "fixer" which was simply suppressing exceptions without actually fixing anything, NVAC does fix shortcomings in the code and let the game crash in case of real errors.

I tried to play almost vanilla New Vegas and got infinite loading screens which prevented me from advancing in the game. Installing NVAC fixed that and I was able to finish the game. Then I modded it and played once again without any issues too. So I can personally recommend from my own firsthands experience to use it.

Thanks for your reply. That’s good to know, and it sounds like the same approach Meh-321 took with Crash Fixes for Oldrim. I’ve been waiting with bated breath to see whether any problems will be discovered with Crash Fixes but it has been used by a couple hundred thousand people for almost two years without apparent issue.

Although now looking at NVAC, it has twice as many unique downloads as Crash Fixes. But there isn’t as much information/discussion out there on NVAC as Crash Fixes, so your experience is helpful.

I’ve been trying to get a lightly modded (only the updated unofficial patch, FWE, Iron Sights, DC Interiors and Metro Cab Interiors) game of Fallout 3 going, but I have not been able to get it nearly as stable as any of my much heavier modded games of Morrowind, Oblivion and Oldrim. 

I’ve tinkered with every fix in this guide, except NVAC, and the game still has random and non-repeatable crashes, freezes and has infinite loading screens every hour or two.  That’s at least five times as many crashes as I’m getting in any TES game, where I can typically play at least five to ten hours, sometimes as much as 30 or 40 hours between crashes.

I even dug into my codecs to verify that I don’t have any ffdshow codecs that many people have reported problems with when trying to run Fallout 3.

The only thing I have not tried yet is NVAC and ENBoost, but with my lightly modded game with no texture replacers or graphics mods, I doubt my vram is running out. I checked my system ram with task manager running on top of the game and it was running at under 700 mb of system ram when it crashed, so I don’t think it’s any type of out of memory issue.

I may have to try NVAC. Thanks. 

Edit:  not sure why my posts are changing font mid stream. Must be something to do with my phone. Sorry. 

Well, I seem to have solved my instability issue with Fallout 3 and the "fix" turned out to be quite simple and not one listed in this thread, so I thought I would report back for the good of the order.

The solution was simple.  Cap FPS at 30 in FSR.  I had been playing with it capped at 60 (and I tried 59) but playing at 30 seems to be much more stable for both Fallout 3 and Oblivion.  If I set FPS at anything higher than 30, the game crashes every hour or so, but when FPS is capped at 30, I can play for four or five hour stretches without an issue.  The game still crashes occasionally, but not nearly as frequently. 

Turning off auto-updaters and auto-maintenance while playing also seems to help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2017 at 4:00 PM, Arthmoor said:

BSA Redirection in Wrye Flash is essentially doing the same thing as that file.

Well, it turns out Wrye Flash's BSA Redirection is broken.  It makes the required ini changes but does not install a dummy bsa file into data directory.  I ended up noticing this when my replacement textures were not appearing in game, and after turning off BSA Redirection in Wrye Flash and installing Archive Invalidation manually from the link alt3rn1ty posted, all problems are working properly.

Ah, well, that's worth reporting to the team as a bug then for games that need that. Cause it should be installing the required dummy file along with the ini edit or it doesn't do much good to have it.

Yeah, I reported it in the Wrye Flash thread on Nexus. Looks like Sharlikran just released an update a couple weeks ago fixing the form version of the bashed patch, so maybe this will get fixed too.