Decapitation Time

lmstearn

Yes, all you Sleepy Hollow fanatics. It's happened. We have no arms, feet, torso but no head!

Going into the showracemenu doesn't do nut, it definitely looks like the head data was nuked some ways back.

Here's a copy/pasta from a Banned Noob at 360Haven via Google from Belazor -looks like the original post got buried)

Skyrim Race Mod (how to fix missing head bug)

Found this on Bethesda's forum site and credits go to Belazor

I found a way to work around this issue, but it is a bit of a pain... I'll post the steps here for anyone who is interested (feel free to re-post these steps to the gaming site / forum of your choice, no attribution necessary but it would be appreciated 

I do not know if this will disable Steam achievements! I have not had a chance to test it, so don't flame me if it does (if anyone wants to test it with a save they have right before they got an achievement, that'd be cool).

Make a new save in a separate slot
Write down how many points you put into Magicka, Health, Stamina
Write down the skill points you have in all your skills (even the ones you haven't even touched)
Change back to your original race via player.SetRace
Enter ShowRaceMenu to get to the race menu
Pick your new race and the looks as needed, name your character, hit OK
Overwrite the duplicate save you created before doing this
Quit to main menu
Load the save you just overwrote
Walk / sprint and stop again and you'll see your arms are no longer crossed
If you want to avoid "cheating":

Find a perk you own and want to temporarily remove by doing help "perkname" 4 and write down the hex code it finds (calling it perkhex)
player.removeperk perkhex
Spend your "free point" back into that perk
player.setlevel X where X is the level you were before you started doing this

Commands assume X is the number of points you increased skills by (1 time levelled = 10 points):
player.modav magicka X
player.modav health X
player.modav stamina X

Commands assume X is the value you wrote down for your skill levels
player.setav skill alchemy X
player.setav skill alteration X
player.setav skill marksman X
player.setav skill block X
player.setav skill conjuration X
player.setav skill destruction X
player.setav skill enchanting X
player.setav skill heavyarmor X
player.setav skill illusion X
player.setav skill lightarmor X
player.setav skill lockpicking X
player.setav skill onehanded X
player.setav skill pickpocket X
player.setav skill restoration X
player.setav skill smithing X
player.setav skill sneak X
player.setav skill speechcraft X
player.setav skill twohanded X

Suspect it's an engine bug, but has anyone any ideas how this can be done more elegantly? Perhaps a TES5edit solution?

• 1 month later...

After further research, it looks like the save version of the HeadPartsImperial was nuked.
Curious as to where the LIMB_ENUM is tabulated. Doing Player.IsLimbGone [integer] in the console returns nothing. Note here Player had no neck stump, so one could see in the torso.
As there was no decapitation in TIM mode the best suggestion was this.
Hmmm, on showracemenu the stats for the head parts still show. In console mode the space where the head should be does not provide the player formid, But neither the menu or invisibility worked anyway. Haven't tried the dragon priest mask.
Possessing the Beast form power it was easy, head back on immediately. If the face looks a little wild just do

player.setrace<your original race>

and it's all fine (I think- Well actually can't remember if it was the spitting image at chargen. Oh well, stats don't lie no?)
Attempting to find the actual cause of this bug is akin to a pin in the haystack, but as is suggested here the Morokei is a likely candidate as it is in current inventory.
The UESP has it that:

• Wearing a mask with any hooded robe can cause your character's head to become invisible.

Funny that. if I did try it on, it would have only been to check the stats.