What are the canon logic on ghost loot?

Virrey

I'm unsure. This concerns the loot you get from ghosts you kill (albeit not that many in game to be much of an issue). In most cases what you get is everything they wear.

I think there are two ways to see this:

1. Weapons are physical enough to hurt you if hit. They can harm you, thus it makes sense to be able to loot everything they wore and wielded in combat.

2. They're ghost. Not physical beings, thus any loot besides ectoplasm is a bug since it's just a spectral copy of the original body.

What is the USLEEP take on this? What's the correct logic? There are inconsistencies in game that I would like to report, but don't want to spam if it's not a bug.

I think one could make a case that outside of 'boss' named ghostly types, that regular ghosts shouldn't exactly be packing a lot of stuff around.  But like you say, they are not exactly a common encounter in skyrim either.  I just went through Ynglid Barrow and all the ghosts there drop a full set of regular clothes and usually an iron or steel dagger.  Not exactly the sort of thing the game should be dropping for that type of encounter. If it were my call, I likely would remove all 'normal' loot and itemize them only with rare 'ghostly' drops. ie wisp wrappings etc. Some ghosts are  itemized sort of logically that way now- but a lot are ...kind of all over the place when it comes to that.

Assuming it's a bug, the biggest problem with trying to fix this is that it would be extremely time consuming. Many of the ghosts are templated actors and fixing the issue would require that someone go through all of them and separate each from their templates. That process would be very tedious given the large number of actors that can be chosen as ghost NPCs, so I'm not sure what the chances are that any of us would be able to take the time to do that.

Ghost loot is often a matter of a single checkbox in the NPC properties not having been set. Most of them will have a leveled list the script uses when the ghost is killed to populate the stuff you get from it. That's the easy part.

The hard part is as Pete said, many of them are nested in templates of basic bandits. Why this is the case, who knows. They have a complete set of races for regular bandits, but the only ghost bandits they made were Nords. So it gets to be a real pain in the ass when one needs to fix voice data that's not been set right because of that. The Traits tab in the CK is responsible for the facegen data in addition to voice and race data so it turns into a real mess that's likely getting beyond scope to address.