Story Manager - Multiple Quests Launched?

Arthmoor

Ok, so I have an odd one here that may turn out to be a bug in the Dawnguard DLC, or possibly a much larger issue in general. A user of my When Vampires Attack mod reported trouble getting the citizens to run away and that some of them end up coming back to fight again and as a result, end up dead. Usually not that hard to see what's what when I get the logs of these kinds of things.

What surprised me is that this time, it seems the game fired off way too much stuff. In the Dawnguard DLC, under the Change Location Event node, there's the DLC1EclipseAttackNode. This random quest node has 6 quests attached to it. It's marked "Do all before repeating" and "Shares Event". According to the CK Wiki, this should only select one quest at random from the node while allowing the event itself to then move on to the next branch node after that.

Instead, what I'm seeing is all 6 quests fired off at once, in the same location. So instead of Solitude getting attacked by 3 annoying master vampires or whatever, the city got hit with 15 of them. I don't believe this should be happening. Three vampires in the average quest for this is usually enough to cause a huge problem. 15 of them would have been enough for the whole city to get wiped out.

Fortunately for the user, WVA protected the NPCs despite the obvious confusion in the logs.

What I'm trying to figure out now though is how to keep that from happening. Surely Bethesda does not intend for these discreet events to all go off at once considering they told it to go through them all before repeating again. Is the Story Manager actually broken and we just haven't noticed it all this time?

From memory, the only nodes worth bothering with are the script event nodes. Do any other quests use the change_location node this way?

Ok, so I have an odd one here that may turn out to be a bug in the Dawnguard DLC, or possibly a much larger issue in general.

I think that also affect Dragonborn DLC when using your Run For Your Lives mod got triggered by a dragon attack, although it doesn't seem to happen frequently but it has happen now and then.

I remember when I had just arrived in Falkreth when a dragon attack NPC's started to attack it by their bare hands or a weapon if NPC's had a weapon that is.  As I recall it it were two dragons that attacked Falkreth at the same time.

However, this needs to be tested and confirmed by other people and I'll try to remember when it happens in my next game, but also what quest has been started (having the Dragonborn MQ in mind) or what else happen before this oddity occured.

From memory, the only nodes worth bothering with are the script event nodes. Do any other quests use the change_location node this way?

Lots of other ones do, yes. We've even inserted a node for USLEEP stuff that handles a few cases for fixes that had no other clean solution.

Mainly I'm just trying to determine if this is a bug that it fired all 6 quests at once, because if it's supposed to do this then I need to expand the number of alias slots in WVA. If not, then USLEEP needs to make it stop doing that.

I think that also affect Dragonborn DLC when using your Run For Your Lives mod got triggered by a dragon attack, although it doesn't seem to happen frequently but it has happen now and then.

I remember when I had just arrived in Falkreth when a dragon attack NPC's started to attack it by their bare hands or a weapon if NPC's had a weapon that is.  As I recall it it were two dragons that attacked Falkreth at the same time.

However, this needs to be tested and confirmed by other people and I'll try to remember when it happens in my next game, but also what quest has been started (having the Dragonborn MQ in mind) or what else happen before this oddity occured.

Leo, that isn't quite the same thing. Falkreath is in the unique position of having a trigger for a wilderness encounter close enough to the city to load when you get there. It can select a dragon event. If you happen to also trigger the event for changing locations at the same time, you get 2 dragons. RFYL can handle up to 5, and the vanilla game will never give you that many even if all the nodes were totally hosed.