Custom Tree Mesh - Textures Lit Incorrectly, Completely Flat

ekul

I'm posting this in a bunch of places as I'm completely stumped on this issue, I've fiddled with every setting I could think of and could see in Nifskope but nothing helped. My custom tree mesh is lighting the branch meshes incorrectly, but only on a BSTreeNode. It lights fine on a BSLeafAnimNode.

BSLeafAnimNode (left) and BSTreeNode (right):

4vIBFwr.png

Ignoring the obvious issues, you can see how the meshes on the right are lit incorrectly:

tpWRsGG.png

My BSLightingShaderProperty settings are copied from the vanilla treepineforest01, all NumUvSets are at 4097, I've updated Tangent Spaces and I have vertex colour flags unchecked (in this case, as this quick test mesh doesn't have any); so I just don't know what is going on!

Here's the nif file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttrizr0g0me44 ... 2.nif?dl=0
I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could have a look to see if they can find the issue. Thank you.

Is the leaves texture the same for both trees? You didn't include any. Please upload both the mesh and it's textures.

In the first picture, no it isn't but in the second it is. I've tried different meshes to these as well and the same thing happens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/be27v3lqavj3lvg/Tree%20Issue.7z?dl=0- here are the meshes and textures.

I must say the first time I loaded your mesh in game it was hillarious

Witcher style tree, just need proper amplitude and frequency adjustments :)

Now the lighting problem - your not working mesh leaves shape has some normals pointing downwards which causes them to be always brightly lit when looking from below, that's why it visually doesn't have shading compared to the working mesh (all normals there are strictly upwards). Also vertex colors are a bit dark, specular color is dark too, and BSShader lighting params are too large, should be around 5.0 and 2.0, depends on texture brightness itself.

Lol, yes I had that some other trees too.

Thanks heaps for looking at that for me. What exactly did you do then to fix it? Is there a quick way in Nifskope or did you import the mesh into 3DSMax or something and change the normals there?

Also, even if i swap the good meshes over, the ones with correct normals, I still get the error. Is there a BSShaderProperty apart from the lighting params that you changed?

I'm not a modeling guy, you better ask someone else. Also I didn't fix anything, just pointing you at the errors causing that no shading issue since I had to deal with dozens of custom tree meshes myself some time ago with similar problems.

One version has vertex colors and the other does not. Also some shader settings are different like lighting effect 1, also alpha threshold is not the same.

Use the spell to update all tangents spaces. Before that you may want to right click on the shape and "face normals", then "smooth normals" first.

Thanks both again for the help, much appreciated! Also it turns out the issue was fixed by setting bTreesReceiveShadows=1 in all copies of SkyrimPrefs.ini; C:\Mod Organizer\profiles\Main, steamapps\common\Skyrim\Skyrim and Documents\My Games\Skyrim. Thanks to ttl269 at the NifTools forums.