Nifskope texturing issue. Please help.

Sangheili15

What version of NifSkope are you using? Make sure you're using the latest version.

Also do you have your paths set up? Check under Options->Settings...->Resources that there's an entry for your Skyrim Data folder. I'm assuming that you have your textures already in your Data folder.

I 've used 1.1.1, but others told me to use 2.0, or whatever. I still have the same issues. for paths, do I highlight skyrim? or is it a specific folder???

Enter the path to your Skyrim Data folder, for example: "C:/Steam/SteamApps/common/Skyrim/Data". The exact path depends on where you have it installed of course.

If you have the paths set correctly, then it should now work for a vanilla mesh, so check that to see if it works.

If it still does not show textures for a vanilla mesh, then check in the Render menu that the options Textures, Vertex Colors, Specular, Glow  and Cube Mapping are selected, and that Lighting Only and Silhouette are NOT selected.

If it now shows the textures for a vanilla mesh, but not for your model, then check in the BSShaderTextureSet that all paths to textures are correct and that they are in the correct slots (i.e. Diffuse in slot 1 and Normal map in slot 2).

Also set additional data paths for textures like C:\...\Skyrim\Data\Textures because some meshes miss the "textures" part and NifScope can't locate those.

Since you opened a thread at the same time as posting in my thread, we'll just confine the discussion to here.  My thread is not for basic support. 

You haven't provided enough info for anyone to help you.  All of your replies have been limited to a single line of text, most of which are question marks and exclamation points.

First, define  "The textures aren't showing up once selected."  ... You aren't supposed to use absolute file paths, which will happen if you are using the file picker in the BSShaderTextureSet.

Does this mesh even have UVs?  Textures won't show if the mesh doesn't have UVs.  The fact that you say vanilla meshes won't show textures either could be an entirely separate issue.

Download the latest version:  https://github.com/jonwd7/nifskope/releases

Go to Options > Settings... > Resources.   In the Paths and Archives tabs run the Auto-Detection.   Assure that your game paths and the BSAs for your games show up in the respective tabs after auto-detection.

Open the vanilla meshes BSA for the game using the Archive Browser  (File > Browse Archive) and browse to any NIF.  If you've set up everything correctly you should be seeing textures. 

actually, I had one more question. The archive resource only spots BSA and ESP... do I have to import my things to Creation Kit and make an ESP of it's own before I see custom textures???

NifSkope has nothing to do with ESPs.  The archives list does not detect ESPs either.  I'm not sure what you are seeing that gave you that impression. 

If your textures aren't showing up, they are not on the paths you listed or they do not exist in any BSAs you listed in the Settings window.

Re: Your most recent image... you are using the wrong type of blocks for Skyrim NIFs.  You are using blocks from FO3 NIFs, but at least as of your previous images you do not have any FO3 paths listed.

ok, so I managed to fix the problem said in this thread, but on more has sprouted.

I've gotten my models into the creation Kit, but while in-game, the hands seem to be deforming all over the place. The body is fine, it's just the hands... I don't know what I did separately.

Glitch Pic

Glitch Pic 2

They seem to be backwards/inside out.