[Skyrim] Misc quests with random location - A glitch by design?

Leonardo

I was talking to Kharjo, the caravan guard, just outside of Dawnstar and he said the caravan had some trouble with bandits, so I thought why not to help him with that.

I got a journal update which pointed me to Frostmere Crypt (the map says it's Cleared) since I've already been there before.

I fast travel there and once inside there were no bandits around and all I had to do was walk straight to the big boss chest and pick up the Moon Amulet.

When I got out I decided not to fast travel to Dawnstar instead I ran on the roads just in case the caravan just left Dawnstar and if that was the case I could miss him, but when I return the caravan had just make a camp.

I talk to him and he rewarded me with 1500 in Gold plus offer to be a follower, should I need him in the future.  Although, I need to ask the question.

How easy can a misc quest with a random location be that has such a reward?  Do you consider this to be a glitch by design, at least I consider it to be a glitch by design?

I wouldn't call it a glitch or by design. It's just the nature of the radiant quest system in the fact that at least some quests don't check to see if a location is cleared first.

I find it very irritating when I can't take a favor quest because the location that just so happened to be picked was already cleared. :P

Yeah, I wouldn't call it anything other than just Skyrim being Skyrim. You could always roleplay it as having missed finding his amulet before or something :P

Sometimes the luck of the draw sends you to a spot you cleared within the reset time limits.