Problems with the Dawnguard Perk Tree files

Arndas

So I'll start with a bit of backstory. If you haven't seen the "Skyrim Skill Interface Re-texture," well, I am the mod author. In short I am trying to re-texture all of the interfaces relating to the perk trees, and that means also changing the Vampire and Werewolf perk trees. The "vanilla" perk tree was easily texture-able as all I had to do was edit the .dds files. The Dawnguard DLC trees seem to be a bit more difficult (I should add that what I am trying to do is add more stars so it matches the regular perk tree).

The reason as to why I was able to make the regular tree have more stars was twofold. One, if you look at the .nif1 for the tree, you can see that there are planes2 that star textures3 are applied to. This makes the "sky" look more starry and also gives the effect of the camera passing through stars when zooming to a specific perk tree. The second thing was that I was able to add stars to the background of the nebula texture4.

You would assume these would roll over to the DLC perk trees, but no... it doesn't. First off, there are near stars, but only on the vampire side of the perk tree5, but not the werewolf side (I should add that both trees are found in the same .nif file). So, upon re-texturing the stars, only the vampire tree looks starrier, but not the werewolf one. Also, the way the werewolf tree is set up, I can only texture the moon and constellation, but not the background of the nebula6.

No luck there so the only thing I can think of is to try to directly edit the intvampireperkskydome.nif and to either add planes for stars or to duplicate current star tiles (from the vampire side). Except, whenever I do this and go in game, the perk trees go completely black so I only see the GUI. If I try to move blindly in the tree, the game crashes. I can leave the perk tree and go back to game, but any time I try to use the perk tree, it won't work. I have tried to mess around in nifskope to no avail and I have tried to change textures in the Creation Kit. However, unlike any other static, when you go to change the textures on the skydome, nothing changes.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be greatly appreciative.

1 meshes/interface/intperkskydome.nif     (meshes.bsa)

2 NiTriShape StarsNear0x
3 textures/interface/intstartile0x.dds     (textures.bsa)

4 textures/interface/intfullnebulapanarama01.dds     (textures.bsa)

5 meshes/dlc01/interface/intvampireperkskydome.nif     (dawnguard.bsa)

6 textures/dlc01/interface/intwolfskylevel2.dds     (dawnguard.bsa)

Ok, 2 things ...

1. You say you can't retexture the nebula IntWolfSkyLevel2.dds ..... why not?

2. I'd say you're on the right track of adding "near stars" over to the werewolf side, however you need to be very very careful. Everything is under a BSOrderedNode, which basically means it needs to be in a specific order. So you could, for example;

- Duplicate 184 NiTriShape StarsNear06 (copy branch/paste branch)
- Transform rotate it 180 so it's on the werewolf side
- Move this new NiTriShape branch UP in the order until it sits under the original 184 NiTriShape (you have to move each line in the branch separately)
- VERY IMPORTANT - Rename this new NiTriShape to a NEW name. The game does not like meshes with same named NiTriShapes.

- If you want more, repeat again for one or two of the other starsnear trishapes.

Plus the fact you need to make sure anything you add gets added into the NiControllerManager animation controller. Specifically, make sure the NiDefaultAVObjectPalette has the correct number of new Objs. It currently has 34. If you add one, change it to 35, click the green arrows, expand Objs and add your new NiTriShape number to the end of the list.

1. The textures are all in one file and they are layered on other planes - http://prntscr.com/9pavvr- The reason I could re-texture the regular perk tree is because the nebula are all separate files and there is a true "background."

"intwolfskylevel1.dds" is the texture for the moon if you were wondering. There are 3 nebula panarama files for the regular perk tree though.

2. I am not sure what I did before because now it works. Thank you very much :)