Not a Sneak Thief [RELz]

Turija

Just released a very simple mod that stops the guards from calling your character a sneak thief simply because you have leveled sneak past 30.  I found this comment from the guards to be very immersion breaking when playing lawful characters, who may sneak when hunting or even when adventuring but have never stolen anything.  My simple solution was to remove the sneak skill check from this dialog topic so the guards will only call you a sneak thief if you have leveled pickpocket.  

I also switched the skill check for "Go fiddling with any locks around here, we're going to have a real problem." from lock picking to pickpocket, since many lawful characters may pick locks in dungeons, but don't pick locks town or undertake any unlawful activities.   These types of accusatory comments seem out of place when playing lawful characters.  With Not a Sneak Thief installed, guards will only make these types of accusatory comments if your character has leveled pickpocket.

I have also increased the level requirement from 30 to between 35 and 75 for all 19 guard dialog topics that are based on character skill.  So, for instance, a guard won't comment that he's "heard about you and your honeyed words" when your speech skill is only 30.  Now you won't hear that remark until your speech skill reached 75.  

I also passed through all USLEEP fixes for these dialog topics.  Since this mod only changes the skill check conditions for 19 dialog topics it should be safe to install or uninstall at any time.  It should be loaded high in your load order, right after any unofficial patches so that it won't conflict with any other mod.

AFK link here:  Not a Sneak Thief.  

Sounds like a great idea. :)

Thanks!  New version released!

Some people wanted the "fiddling with any locks" dialog topic to remain triggered by the lockpicking skill, so I released Version 1.1.  You can use either version 1.0 or version 1.1, depending on your preference.

Version 1.1 contains only two changes from version 1.0:

1.  The dialog conditions for "Go fiddling with any locks around here, we're going to have a real problem." was changed back to lockpicking (skill 50), and an additional condition was added so this dialog topic only triggers if the PC has stolen 25 or more items.

2.  The dialog conditions for "I know your kind, always sneaking about." was changed from pickpocket to sneak (skill 50) and an additional condition was added so this dialog topic only triggers if the PC has stolen 25 or more items.

Just released a very simple mod that stops the guards from calling your character a sneak thief simply because you have leveled sneak past 30.  I found this comment from the guards to be very immersion breaking when playing lawful characters, who may sneak when hunting or even when adventuring but have never stolen anything.  My simple solution was to remove the sneak skill check from this dialog topic so the guards will only call you a sneak thief if you have leveled pickpocket.  

I also switched the skill check for "Go fiddling with any locks around here, we're going to have a real problem." from lock picking to pickpocket, since many lawful characters may pick locks in dungeons, but don't pick locks town or undertake any unlawful activities.   These types of accusatory comments seem out of place when playing lawful characters.  With Not a Sneak Thief installed, guards will only make these types of accusatory comments if your character has leveled pickpocket.

I have also increased the level requirement from 30 to between 35 and 75 for all 19 guard dialog topics that are based on character skill.  So, for instance, a guard won't comment that he's "heard about you and your honeyed words" when your speech skill is only 30.  Now you won't hear that remark until your speech skill reached 75.  

I also passed through all USLEEP fixes for these dialog topics.  Since this mod only changes the skill check conditions for 19 dialog topics it should be safe to install or uninstall at any time.  It should be loaded high in your load order, right after any unofficial patches so that it won't conflict with any other mod.

AFK link here:  Not a Sneak Thief.  

The other day I notice something I didn't expect to hear from the guards when dropping a weapon to the ground in Whiterun due to avoiding an unimproved weapon from an improved weapon to be melted into a mineral ingot in the smelter.

I dropped a weapon to the ground then a few minutes later a guard approached me and said "Don't drop a weapon here, someone could get hurt" or similar.

This was the first time I heard such a comment from a guard and I think the guards shouldn't say a comment like that, if you're dropping a weapon to the ground near to a forge or a smelter since you may have a reason when doing such a thing.

The other day I notice something I didn't expect to hear from the guards when dropping a weapon to the ground in Whiterun due to avoiding an unimproved weapon from an improved weapon to be melted into a mineral ingot in the smelter.

I dropped a weapon to the ground then a few minutes later a guard approached me and said "Don't drop a weapon here, someone could get hurt" or similar.

This was the first time I heard such a comment from a guard and I think the guards shouldn't say a comment like that, if you're dropping a weapon to the ground near to a forge or a smelter since you may have a reason when doing such a thing.

I have heard that comment but my character wasn't near a forge.  He was trying to stash the weapon to lighten his inventory and was planning to come back later and pick it up.  I thought no one was around but a guard was watching, so I had to pick it up and carry it somewhere more secluded to stash.

I will have to think about how to disable this comment when you are near smelters and forges.

I have heard that comment but my character wasn't near a forge. He was trying to stash the weapon to lighten his inventory and was planning to come back later and pick it up. I thought no one was around but a guard was watching, so I had to pick it up and carry it somewhere more secluded to stash.

I will have to think about how to disable this comment when you are near smelters and forges.

I think that comment from a guard is accurate and such a guard comment make sense.

I dunno what can be done to disable a comment like that other than to improve Arthmoor's Ars Metallica mod (adding a chest?), which I used when it happen.

I almost forgot to share what happen the other day near the Whistling Mine entrance.

I was travelling from Windhelm to Winterhold and have just passed the mine entrance when I notice M'aiq the Liar from a distance with another NPC. The other NPC was a thief who was waiting to make his move.

During the fight that followed I miss to hit him with a shout and after I killed him a guard approached me and said "Don't shout please, people is getting scared when shouting".  WTF!

I was NOT even near a city or a town and the only NPC's that were around was the guard and M'aiq the Liar, but I doubt Maiq the Liar would be bothered when shouting.

Lol!  You must have scared the guard.  He was probably sipping a drink of nord mead to ward off the cold, and when you shouted it startled him so much it sent mead up his nose, so he felt he had to scold you.