[Planning] Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch [UFO4P]

Arthmoor

• 2 weeks later...

lol, well I guess that would qualify as an optimization or performance improvement :P

I'll have to load up the game and go see if the ones at the Castle are finally gone.

lol, well I guess that would qualify as an optimization or performance improvement :P

I always read that line as "We fixed some bugs that we are too embarrassed to admit even existed" :D

Looks like they actually did take care of the ash piles. The ones I had sitting around the Castle are all gone now.

• 2 weeks later...
So I was wondering if the UFO4P patch will be for the base game "only" or if you guys intend to cover the DLCs as well? As much as I'd like to play the upcoming DLCs, I'd rather play the core game with the unofficial patch.

I guess the question is this: If I install the upcoming Automatron DLC and start creating save games with this DLC enabled, will I still be able to use/benefit from the UFO4P patch or will this mess up the save game files?

Really looking forward to using the UFO4P...

UFO4P will start off separated but once all of the DLCs are out, it will be unified. We learned our lesson after Skyrim. Not gonna even try to manage 7 separated projects (maybe more if there's more than 6 DLCs) once the dust settles. It would just be too unwieldy.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

So until all DLCs are available and a unified patch can be released there will be individual patches for the main game as well as for each DLC (as it was the case for Skyrim), correct?

• 3 weeks later...

You have to view the green categories to see stuff. Tracdown is a bit of a flaky piece of software but it beats using something else that would be as clunky and unfriendly as the new Bethesda forum.

You have to view the green categories to see stuff. Tracdown is a bit of a flaky piece of software but it beats using something else that would be as clunky and unfriendly as the new Bethesda forum.

You could just use GitHub.

GitHub's issue tracker has everything TracDown has, a wiki, version tracking and diffs for text/source files, web hosting, as well as the power of git.

Also, Markdown is easier to use than BBCode—and you can create tables without installing an extension.

It's been suggested before, but for the most part people were not interested in signing up for a service that may as well be Greek to them. We get far more mileage in reporting via what we have because it's in a nice familiar forum style interface that people are used to.

We deal in enough binary files (meshes, textures, etc) that using GitHub would not really be useful anyway for proper version control. For that, we'd need Perforce, and that's just not worth the hassle for a project like this.

Also, I loathe GitHub and only use it out of necessity for things I had located on Google Code before they shut it down or for submitting stuff for Wrye Bash. :P

It's been suggested before, but for the most part people were not interested in signing up for a service that may as well be Greek to them. We get far more mileage in reporting via what we have because it's in a nice familiar forum style interface that people are used to.

The UI for issue tracking and creation looks almost exactly the same as TracDown.

And, really, if you can figure out Papyrus or xEdit or the CK or how a bug works, you can figure out how GitHub works, which really isn't all that Greek to anybody.

We deal in enough binary files (meshes, textures, etc) that using GitHub would not really be useful anyway for proper version control. For that, we'd need Perforce, and that's just not worth the hassle for a project like this.

I'm not saying version control is the sole reason to move over to GitHub. I'm saying that at least there's some version control! ;)

Also, I loathe GitHub and only use it out of necessity for things I had located on Google Code before they shut it down or for submitting stuff for Wrye Bash. :P

Loathe is a strong word...

Loathe is a strong word...

It is, and I mean it. I do not like GitHub. It's the one place right now I'd say is still a worse setup as far as navigating it than Bethesda's new forum.

It is, and I mean it. I do not like GitHub. It's the one place right now I'd say is still a worse setup as far as navigating it than Bethesda's new forum.

Wow, I've never heard anyone say that before. Have you used GitHub recently? I can't imagine why you would knock its navigation.

In my opinion, GitHub is super easy to navigate, especially the issue tracker, which is dead simple to use. It's incredibly convenient for managing issues, has a way better search and filtering system, and you can preview issues before you post them.

Anyway, I'm just going to post all of the bugs I've found (and fixed) on my GitHub issue tracker.

I have, given that I still occasionally poke my web projects and use it for Wrye Bash stuff. I have no desire whatsoever for that to become a regular thing.

You are of course free to post your stuff where you like, but if the intent is to offer it for us to use, it won't be picked up from there unless someone takes the time to repost them in our tracker. I for one am not going to go hunting for them on a site who's navigation is straight out of 1995.

I have, given that I still occasionally poke my web projects and use it for Wrye Bash stuff. I have no desire whatsoever for that to become a regular thing.

You are of course free to post your stuff where you like, but if the intent is to offer it for us to use, it won't be picked up from there unless someone takes the time to repost them in our tracker. I for one am not going to go hunting for them on a site who's navigation is straight out of 1995.

We can't be talking about the same GitHub. I don't believe it.

TracDown vs. GitHub Issue Trackers

They're basically the same, but GitHub is a lot more sophisticated. I'm sorry, but 1995 belongs to IP.Board/TracDown.

As for whether you'll source issues from my tracker, your loss.

edit: I should say that I did override GitHub's stylesheet to better support widescreen displays; otherwise, the linked screenshots should look more compact.

.discussion-timeline { width:980px !important; }
.timeline-new-comment { max-width:980px !important; }
textarea#issue_body, textarea.comment-form-textarea  { font:12px "Consolas" !important; }
#partial-discussion-sidebar, .timeline-comment-avatar { display:none !important; }
.timeline-comment-wrapper { padding-left:0 !important; }
.markdown-body pre { padding:4px !important; }

They're basically the same, but GitHub is a lot more sophisticated. I'm sorry, but 1995 belongs to IP.Board/TracDown.

Well, now I know why you think Bethesda's new forum is better :P

This is something we just won't agree on, and I don't think most of the community will either.

Well, now I know why you think Bethesda's new forum is better :P

This is something we just won't agree on, and I don't think most of the community will either.

The "community" never agrees with me. I've long given up on what "they" think.  :imp:

If you're not going to source my issue tracker just because you don't like what GitHub looks like, what if I export my GitHub issues to a CSV? There are many ways to do that.

*ahem* GitHub has an Issues API. TracDown does not. Neener neener.

It really isn't a matter of looks, the whole site basically navigates like you're on Twitter or Facebook. Which I guess was their intent, but dinosaurs like me prefer forum style navigation that doesn't actually suck. So yeah, if you want to provide that stuff via some other kind of format, that would be fine.

I am aware btw, surely you know the community and I are not exactly in full agreement on a lot of things :P

As far as API vs just using GitHub, honestly, the #1 thing I like about the setup we have now is that our data is ours and isn't subject to social media trends and being lost when GitHub is no longer the "in place" to do that sort of thing. IMO, local control is always better than relying on some cloud run by strangers.

As far as API vs just using GitHub, honestly, the #1 thing I like about the setup we have now is that our data is ours and isn't subject to social media trends and being lost when GitHub is no longer the "in place" to do that sort of thing. IMO, local control is always better than relying on some cloud run by strangers.

By far the smartest reason............the "in place" for pretty much every activity changes nearly as often as I change my socks!  I've tried to keep up with the best places to store my files......best places for video meetings......best methods of broadcasting.....most popular social media......etc.  Just about the time I start to learn whatever it is that makes it "so great", something else comes along that's "even greater!!!"  Granted, I am actually older than the internet (even older than TCP/IP) which likely makes it harder for me to constantly adapt to the "latest and greatest".  I've learned to stick with what I'm comfortable with and let those most able to adapt do so.  (Yup.....created an account just to say that......plus I'm just a big fan of your mods)