[Planning] Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch [UFO4P]

Arthmoor

Quick questions: 

Will the unofficial patches will be available on consoles as well?

Do you have any information on Bethesda's position on unofficial patches?

They will be made available via Bethesda.net whenever that's available for folks to use for mod hosting. However the consoles get stuff from there is up to Bethesda though.

I can't recall Bethesda ever giving an official opinion about them, but I have spoken to a couple of the devs over the years who appreciate them and have said so privately. I don't think they're going to object or anything if that's what you're worried about - they never have objected to the ones for past games.

• Like 1

They will be made available via Bethesda.net whenever that's available for folks to use for mod hosting. However the consoles get stuff from there is up to Bethesda though.

I can't recall Bethesda ever giving an official opinion about them, but I have spoken to a couple of the devs over the years who appreciate them and have said so privately. I don't think they're going to object or anything if that's what you're worried about - they never have objected to the ones for past games.

Will the patches be  available exclusively via bethesda.net or do you plan to support other distribution channels as well (nexusmods for example)?

Can I just pass a plugin with fixes in it somehow? I don't want to bother with the bug tracker when I can just fix it myself.

Yes, but we really would prefer to have the tracker entry too, for the record. You can link the fix there, or upload it to the "Files for Fixes" category in our uploads area.

I'm not sure the UFO4P should follow the same ruling to match voiceover and subtitle in FO4 than done in Skyrim, at least when it comes to the voiced protagonists.

Here's some evidence it was done that way on purpose:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3502925-the-unofficial-fallout-4-patch/?p=36846720

"Hi Arthmoor,

I'd just like to add my voice regarding the removal of the donut-shop "awesome" line by the female protagonist. From what I can tell, it appears to be an ad-libbed line that was kept in the game by bethesda themselves.

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3xegd5/im_courtenay_taylor_i_voice_video_game_characters/

(AMA by the female sole survivor's VA, Courtenay Taylor)

Her exact quote: "We mostly stayed on script - they are funny guys! but the writers were very open to input when a certain line could use tweaking (sometimes a line said by a man can mean/sound VERY different when said by a woman) and they were so awesome to let us ad-lib and do pre-life stuff. For example, I think the "Awesome" part at the end of the donut shop line is an ad-lib they kept in. "

So other lines particular to one protagonist gender, unsubtitled, may also be adlibs that were intentionally kept in because Bethesda liked them."

• Like 1

I hope you don't mind me reposting this here. It probably drowned at the Nexus.

I'm sorry for bringing this up again but I would like to appeal to you, Arthmoor, to remove your audio "fix" from the patch, because to me, and I'm certain to others as well, it feels like you introduced another bug, at least a flaw, into the game by cutting relevant dialogue for no plausible reason. Please let me tell you why I think that way. Minor spoilers ahead!

Male Player says, "Your base was under a doughnut shop?"
Female Player says, "Your base was under a doughnut shop? That's awesome!"

Nate does not care. Nora really likes doughnuts. They are NOT the same person. They are two individuals. And this line shows this like some subtle differences to other lines do as well. By cutting "That's awesome!" you removed some relevant depth to the atmosphere from the game.

Please rethink your decision! smile.gif

I'm not sure the UFO4P should follow the same ruling to match voiceover and subtitle in FO4 than done in Skyrim, at least when it comes to the voiced protagonists.

Here's some evidence it was done that way on purpose:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3502925-the-unofficial-fallout-4-patch/?p=36846720

"Hi Arthmoor,

I'd just like to add my voice regarding the removal of the donut-shop "awesome" line by the female protagonist. From what I can tell, it appears to be an ad-libbed line that was kept in the game by bethesda themselves.

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3xegd5/im_courtenay_taylor_i_voice_video_game_characters/

(AMA by the female sole survivor's VA, Courtenay Taylor)

Her exact quote: "We mostly stayed on script - they are funny guys! but the writers were very open to input when a certain line could use tweaking (sometimes a line said by a man can mean/sound VERY different when said by a woman) and they were so awesome to let us ad-lib and do pre-life stuff. For example, I think the "Awesome" part at the end of the donut shop line is an ad-lib they kept in. "

So other lines particular to one protagonist gender, unsubtitled, may also be adlibs that were intentionally kept in because Bethesda liked them."

You guys may have noticed I stayed out of this until now because our changelog spoke for itself.

I'd just like to point out to everyone that when challenging a bug, it is NOT enough to just say "I think that's deliberate" and offer up nothing more. Speculating about adlibs is also not enough on its own. What Chipstick did is the proper way to address a situation like this. Evidence needs to be brought forth, and IMO this is as close to an official "u dun goofed" as one can get for something like this.

The line will be dropped from the live 1.0.0 update once everything comes out of beta based on this.

Also, this thread is technically duplicate and out of date so I'll be closing it. Please use the normal release thread for anything further :)